A Season in Hell and Illuminations by Arthur…

A Season in Hell and Illuminations (1886)

by Arthur Rimbaud

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
A Season in Hell & Illuminations was a book that I was introduced to in the dead of night. I was handed the text and asked to read and, being me, proceeded to open to random pages and read aloud in an impassioned tone. When read like this - in the middle of the night with all of its magic and attractions, the text is like fire.

Rimbaud's words alternatively scorch and caress, they raise up the most enlivened fancies and play out dark fantasies unlike anything else one could ever be exposed to. Rimbaud becomes the Father of all that is brutal and metal, he becomes the embodiment of debauchery and dark poetry; in this light he is pure electricity, and being that, strange, mysterious, and wonderful.

In the light of day, his prose loses some of that intensity. He becomes something tamer, better understood. In light of the preface, Rimbaud runs the risk of even failing to be purely Rimbaudian - he is human, after all, and simply a man, behind a desk, writing... I feel he loses his allure in this light, rather than gains it. Yes, he is human, but the legend is so much more fun and eagerly traced...?

I struggle between giving this novel three stars or four - in the right conditions, he is truly incredible and quite the beloved read. For now, I shall settle with three, and perhaps increase upon a later date. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
If I had to name a favorite poet, it would probably be Arthur Rimbaud. His work is rich with imagery and meaning, each poem holding an entire story. Even better is the way this collection works as a whole, reading like an epic saga. It's a rare thing when I enjoy sitting down to read poetry, but I would happily return to this book time and again. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Mar 23, 2010 |
if the term 'life-changing experience' wasn't over-used, I would use it here. This is everything I look for in poetry: such introspection that the madcap behind the poetry knew the only way to escape his mental torture was to stop poetry all together. Rimbaud's walloping world through drudgery, lust, manure, and all the love only of a wanderer of epic proportions could hold is poetic alienation at its finest moments. ( )
1 vote TakeItOrLeaveIt | Nov 19, 2009 |
The only book I actually enjoyed from my 19th Century French Literature class in college. ( )
  megaden | Nov 19, 2009 |
Intro by Paul Claudel.
one of the rare French lit books I kept from my college days ( )
  overthemoon | Aug 2, 2006 |

Arthur Rimbaudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zazo, Anna LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195017609, Paperback)

Written by Rimbaud at the age of 18 in the wake of his tempestuous affair with fellow poet Paul Verlaine, "A Season in Hell" has been a touchstone for anguished poets, artists, and lovers for more than a century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

"From Dante's Inferno to Sartre's No Exit, writers have been fascinated by visions of damnation. Within that rich literature of suffering, Arthur Rimbaud's A Season in Hell - written when the poet was nineteen - provides an astonishing example of the grapple with self. As a companion to Rimbaud's journey, readers could have no better guide than Wyatt Mason. Mason's new version of A Season in Hell renders the music and mystery of Rimbaud's tale of Hell on Earth." "This bilingual edition includes maps, a helpful chronology of Rimbaud's life, and the unfinished suite of prose poems, Illuminations. With A Season in Hell, they cement Rimbaud's reputation as one of the foremost, and most influential, writers in French literature."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible