The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow) by…

The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow) (edition 2012)

by Beverly Lewis

Member:mookiekat
Title:The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow)
Authors:Beverly Lewis
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Bethany House

The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis

Note: I won this book Though LibraryThing Early Reviewers for my Honest Review.

This book is about Joanna and her struggles and a bit about Hickory Hallows. I really enjoy this book though the eyes of Joanna. There some so strange about how it starts and ends. She so want to be a wife and mother and waiting for her special someone.

Eben is happens to run into her while they are at the Virginia Beach for Joanna great, great Uncle funeral. Thought Eben has is struggles at home in Indiana. What he has a dilemma and he so love a girl. Will they get what they both want in terms of each other?

They both have their struggles. Joanna struggles with Eben is mean for her or not. Joanna has to work something out while in Hickory Hallow and Eben has to work though his delimma with is family and brother and his family farm.

Lindz2012 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Note: I won this book Though LibraryThing Early Reviewers for my Honest Review.

The book tell you about keeping your faith in the Lord, and teach about separation along with long distance Relationship and that you may need to give a little sometimes. Though I would rather you read this for yourself and decide if this is what you get when you are reading it. I would recommend it folks to read if they enjoy fiction and or Amish. You choose for yourselves. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Lindz2012 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Joanna's moving along in life with pressure building on her shoulders of finding a beau and settling down. Going on the age of twenty-five, she's been a bridesmaid numerous times, and is starting to lose faith in ever finding a man to call her own, until one fateful trip to Virginia Beach changes everything. She comes upon an Indiana amish-man with a great passion for photography that captures her heart. With Joanna being from Hickory Hollow (in Pennsylvania) Eben takes a chance to continue courting her with letters and phone calls, but is it enough? Eben's dealing with family issues of his own and although he wants to make a life with Joanna, he must help out his family and hope that his younger brother, Leroy will give up his English life and come back as the prodigal son. Will being long distance lovers fuel their passion, or will it fizzle out?

"Our meeting on the beach--as romantic and special as it was--birthed a renewed hope in me. After all, it was nearly a blight on any Amish girl to still be single at my age. Ach, but Eben Troyer had surely changed all of that. Surely he had..." (8)

I first learned of Joanna and her love of writing and storytelling in The Fiddler (Home to Hickory Hollow #1) and was pleased to see that she is the center of this second book. I found this book endearing as I followed Joanna and Eben's struggles to be together despite the constant hardships and drawbacks they faced. They both learned not only about their own faith, but the faithfulness in each other as well. With the help of a few wise women, some ancestry and a quilt, Joanna's well on her way to understanding the will of God.

"Ella Mae wore a smile on her wrinkled face. 'For whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God,' Ella Mae recited." (ch.36 pg.5)

At times this book tested my patience with the actions and attitudes of Cora Jane (Joanna's younger, nosy sister) and Preacher Yoder, but as I read on it got better as they eased up on Joanna. I'm inspired by Joanna's strong faith and steadfast attitude as she learns to wait for whatever God has in store for her. I'm looking forward to reading The Guardian (Home to Hickory Hollow #3), the story of a missing child and how she's come to be cared for.

First Line: "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride.'
That's just what my younger sister said about me–-in front of our engaged cousins, no less." (1)

Last Line: "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride.'
(352)
-----
Quotes

"Although I'd once yearned for a beau and marriage, I'd given up on love." (3)
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

First Line: "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride.'

Last Line: "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride.'
(352)
-----
Quotes

"Although I'd once yearned for a beau and marriage, I'd given up on love." (3)
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

24 year old Joanna Kurtz has made several trips to the altar, but never as a bride. The single young Amishwoman is a closet writer with a longing to be published—something practically unheard of in her Lancaster County community. Yet Joanna's stories aren't her only secret. She also has a beau who is courting her from afar, unbeknownst even to her sister, Cora Jane, who, though younger, seems to have suitors to spare.

Eben Troyer is a responsible young Amishman who hopes to make Joanna Kurtz his bride—if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana, Indiana. Yet with his only brother off in the English world, intent on being a pilot, Eben's hopes for building a life with his dear Joanna are dimming, and patience is wearing thin. Will Joanna ever be more than a bridesmaid?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209787, Paperback)

The Latest in Chart-Topping Amish Fiction from Beverly Lewis

Twenty-seven-year-old Joanna Kurtz has made several trips to the altar, but never as a bride. The single young Amishwoman is a closet writer with a longing to be published something practically unheard of in her Lancaster County community. Yet Joanna's stories aren't her only secret. She also has a beau who is courting her from afar, unbeknownst even to her sister, Cora, who, though younger, seems to have suitors to spare.

Eben Troyer is a responsible young Amishman who hopes to make Joanna Kurtz his bride--if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana, Indiana. Yet with his only brother off in the English world, intent on a military career, Eben's hopes for building a life with his dear Joanna are dimming, and patience is wearing thin. Will Joanna ever be more than a bridesmaid?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Twenty-seven-year-old Joanna Kurtz has made several trips to the altar, but never as a bride. The single young Amish woman is a closet writer with a longing to be published something practically unheard of in her Lancaster County, Pennsylvania community. Yet Joanna's stories aren't her only secret. She also has a beau who is courting her from afar, unbeknownst even to her sister, Cora, who, though younger, seems to have suitors to spare. Eben Troyer is a responsible young Amish man who hopes to make Joanna Kurtz his bride, if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana, Indiana. Yet with his only brother off in the English world, intent on a military career, Eben's hopes for building a life with his dear Joanna are dimming, and patience is wearing thin. Will Joanna ever be more than a bridesmaid?… (more)

Bethany House

3 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764209787, 0764210521, 076421053X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible