The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt
A novel on 8th century Rome featuring Regeane, a werewolf of royal blood. She becomes an agent of Emperor Charlemagne, helping him in his intrigues with Pope Hadrian, and through her eyes is seen the city's decadence.
    Silver by Rhiannon Held (MyriadBooks)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves in human environments; for historical settings.
    The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves with teeth, for mated pairs. The Last Werewolf is gritter and more explicit than the dreamy, lyrical The Silver Wolf but the writing and the horror of both of them is top notch.
    First Truth by Dawn Cook (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I think readers who enjoy the Silver Wolf may also enjoy the Truth series by Dawn Cook. They're a little different - the Silver Wolf has much darker undertones that the Truth books, and is set in a real historical contex whereas Truth is in a classical fantasy historical-based world - but they're both nicely written and involving stories. The Truth series might be enjoyable holiday reading for people who thought the Silver Wolf was great but weren't so keen on the more "horror" aspects of the later Wolf books.… (more)

This is a very different take on werewolves. It is sort of a historical piece...back to Rome and Greece. I think the author could have benefited from a better editor. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
What can I say about this book without coming across as mean-spirited and sarcastic? Uhm. It had good bones. It could have been a good book with a good editor behind it.

This book wandered around like a blind man. The story looped back over its self to little purpose. While I don't expect a high level of historical accuracy in a fantasy novel, the inaccuracies and liberties in this book really irritated.

I don't understand how this book is rated so highly by goodreads readers. To receive the rating it did, a significant portion of readers where blown away and experienced this book as a life-altering event. I didn't finish the book and regret the purchase. ( )
  MsMaison | Dec 5, 2017 |
To be honest, I wasn't excited to read this book UNTIL; I read another review on goodreads... I LOVED this book. Alice Borchardt is simply, a great story teller. With this novel, she weaves the foundation of a mythology (that we start to learn along with the heroine of the novel) with the time of a falling/fallen Rome and the rise of a new empire to the North. I found myself wanting to read, yet slowing down to make it last longer...(sounds masochistic, but if you are an avid reader- you know what I'm talking about) I do think it's a shame she didn't write more, but she left a fantastic foundation that anyone would be proud to have their name upon. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
A romantic werewolf novel set in Roman times. It's not historically accurate - anachronisms abound, particularly in characters' attitudes and the way they behave. It's also written, it seems, with a screenplay in mind. I could almost feel like I was watching it on late night TV, right after Buffy or something. But, that said, I thought it was good fun & quite entertaining. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
A delightful, intriguing and enchanting mix of sci/fi fantasy, myth, history and romance, I started reading this book in escape of a book I was reading which was boring me to annoyance and I opened this book and was immediately enraptured.

Maybe I'm a little bias but my favorite character is Regeane I love the way her character developed and her strength came out, My second Favorite is Elfgifa her character was beautifully written honesty, and comic relief at its best. I also really loved Maniel although we were fooled in the beginning into thinking him weak and unimportant, so I was pleasantly surprised at the turn of events. I was surprised to find how truly vain and cruel Antonius is he seemed to become a different man once his ailment had been healed although I don't like the change I must say it was executed wonderfully and did not seem an unnatural or forced progression for his character on the contrary the nature of his mother and sister seemed to make it much easier to take and less shocking although it was a shock to find his character practical near to the point of being cruel and emotionless even though he still retained many of his empathic qualities which surface time to time it is very clear Antonius is his surely as much his mothers son as Augusta is her daughter

I enjoyed this book so much I can't even aptly describe my feelings I'm waiting to get book 2 & 3 now so I can be further pleasured by this authors literary creations. ( )
  jayblac21 | Jul 10, 2014 |
To
my beloved husband
Clifford Borchardt

"See those fireflies dancing?
That's what I want to do:
dance in the moonlight, sing to the stars,
jump straight up at the moon."

I did with you.
The sun was going down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,635,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible