Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be…

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brene Brown

Member:bclplyr
Title:Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Authors:Brene Brown
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, courage, risk, self-worth, daring greatly, shame, vulnerability

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown (2012)

English (29)  Dutch (2)  All languages (31)
Fantastic book says I who doesn't really like self-help books and rarely, if ever, have actually ever finished one. But this one is so relatable and well-written with just the right about of humor that I enjoyed it immensely. It also could not have come at a better time in my life when I was on the verge of chickening out or daring greatly and with Ms. Brown's help. I went for it and it was not not as painful as I imagined. I still didn't succeed in the typical sense of the word, but I showed up and sometimes that counts as a victory. ( )
  she_climber | Mar 11, 2014 |
A new favorite quote, from Theodore Roosevelt: "It's not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the person who is in the arena. Whose face is marred with dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ..."

And this from a person who writes little critical comments about all the books she reads.

And is constantly dismayed with the State of the World.

A reminder to self: Spend more time in the arena and less in the stands. ( )
  debnance | Jan 4, 2014 |
I actually started Daring Greatly twice. The first time I just wan’t in the right headspace to benefit from Brown’s insights. The second time the timing couldn’t have been better. I devoured the book, hanging on every word and pausing frequently to take notes. The print version went onto my Amazon wish list before I’d even made it halfway through the audio. Yes…it’s that good. I’m already looking into Brené Brown’s other books.

Full review on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
Much overlap between this book and Brené Brown's previous book The Gifts of Imperfection, so no need to read both (as I just did). This book is an attempt to apply the concepts described in The Gifts of Imperfection to work, leadership, education, and parenting. Personally, I have problems with her methodology, and her tendency to divide everything into two categories. I'm also not convinced that "living Wholeheartedly" is something that can be acquired merely through practicing the things she suggests. Still, I admire her courage in finding ways to present the concepts of shame and vulnerablility in an engaging way that might prompt people to think about/discuss them.

On a book design note, I found the "hip" "crisp" look of the book to be less than helpful in revealing the structure of the book. HUGE title fonts and only a single subheading disguised the structure of some of the more important chapters, which actually needed several levels of subheadings, but instead used only the one. This was particularly problematic in the chapter on The Vulnerability Armory, which listed "shields" and how to combat them by "daring greatly" but there was no visual indication of how the various subsections held together. ( )
1 vote LucindaLibri | Nov 12, 2013 |
Only read about one half the book -- it seemed entirely common sense to me. The "cultural norms" and definitions of femininity and masculinity she applies are very restrictive and not my experience at all. Maybe living in a progressive state helps! ( )
  Becky221 | Nov 4, 2013 |
At times her [Brown's] suggestions sound like the satirical affirmations of the Stuart Smalley character from TV's Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." But she also offers good insights into how people don personal armor to shield themselves from vulnerability.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Laura Landro (Oct 30, 2012)

. . . when I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary.

Based on twelve years of research, thought leader Dr. Brene Brown argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection.

160 wanted2 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Daring Greatly by Brené Brown was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible