Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be…

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brene Brown

8204111,078 (4.11)23
Title:Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Authors:Brene Brown
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:nonfiction, courage, risk, self-worth, daring greatly, shame, vulnerability

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown (Author) (2012)

English (39)  Dutch (3)  All languages (42)
There are simply not enough good things that I can say about this book. It can be hard to put into practice the principles outline to be Wholehearted, but it's worth the trial. Ever since seeing Brown's TEDtalks a few years ago, I have loved her work and looked forward to reading this book. Getting away from "not enough" and embracing vulnerability are really hard to do, and she stresses that it is a practice and not perfection.
I had been raised by a Wholehearted mother and it reinforces so much of what she taught me growing up. I couldn't put it into words for so long what made her so amazing and why people flocked to her and how she changed the room when she walked into it, but I do now. She is simply wholehearted, even when she's failing. She dares greatly every day, she always has. This book has given me a way to understand her and all the things she's done. It's given me that little bit more of a guide on how to help get to where she is. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't. But I'll dare greatly and hopefully I can pass that on to my son as well.

Everyone should read this book and review it every time we feel like we're "not enough". ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
Excellent...I am changed in the positive for having read it...highly recommended! ( )
  stevetempo | Jan 23, 2016 |
An excellent, revealing, and encouraging book. Dr. Brown's research has led to some truly interesting and helpful insights when it comes to shame, vulnerability, and courage. Like her popular TED talk, she uses her own experiences to illustrate and bring home the conclusions she was learned from a dozen years of interviewing people on the subject. Title is from a quote by Teddy Roosevelt, making it all that much better! ( )
  amarie | Jan 21, 2016 |
Another brilliant book from Brene. Highly recommended. It takes the research a step further than the Gift of Imperfection. There are some great insights in this book. Looking forward to reading her latest book. ( )
  Neale | Sep 16, 2015 |
At times her [Brown's] suggestions sound like the satirical affirmations of the Stuart Smalley character from TV's Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." But she also offers good insights into how people don personal armor to shield themselves from vulnerability.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Laura Landro (Oct 30, 2012)
Voor Steve

Jij maakt de wereld zoveel mooier
en mj zoveel moediger
. . . when I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary.
The word persona is the Greek term for “stage mask.” [...F]itting in and belonging are not the same thing. [...] I get to be me if I belong. I have to be like you to fit in.

Based on twelve years of research, thought leader Dr. Brene Brown argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection.

1214 wanted2 pay14 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Daring Greatly by Brené Brown was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,833,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible