Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be…

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brene Brown

Title:Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Authors:Brene Brown
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:nonfiction, courage, risk, self-worth, daring greatly, shame, vulnerability

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown (2012)

English (36)  Dutch (3)  All languages (39)
Another brilliant book from Brene. Highly recommended. It takes the research a step further than the Gift of Imperfection. There are some great insights in this book. Looking forward to reading her latest book. ( )
  Neale | Sep 16, 2015 |
I felt that the author tries to explain how important vulnerability is. Basically putting yourself out there in a position even if you're scared. But I felt that the language included too many generalities for me to make sense out of it. For example, many statements make no clear sense to me. I can interpret them in one way or another. I can disprove anything or prove anything with examples. It needs to be more specific.

For example, instead of saying "Facing your vulnerability is living. Vulnerability is the XYZ of society. I once did XYZ and then ABC happened" I feel it's better to say "When you face vulnerability, i.e., you do something that you are afraid of doing then you grow. You face the fear, the outcome might be gifts or coals but you will feel more in-control of your life. It will make you feel alive.

But aside from all of this I disagree with the author. Just facing your fear and being vulnerable isn't the strength. It's your thinking and beliefs that make you strong. Let me illustrate with an example. Suppose I go for a swimming class and it's my first time to do board dives. I'm scared. There are people looking at me including members of the opposite sex. Going for that dive is facing your vulnerability. And then I make a clumsy dive and then feel "shit! I'm useless as a man! All guys have done better than me. I just don't have what it takes". And so facing the vulnerability didn't really help me. But instead, I go up there and tell myself "okay. So this is my first time doing a dive. Since I haven't done this before I might suck at it. But I'm doing great to attempt it. Once I dive I'll see if people have feedback and then i'll learn it better. I don't know whether I'll be a champion diver or not but I'll learn it well enough so I can enjoy it". And then dive and see how you feel about the whole vulnerability thing.

FACING the vulnerability is important, YES. But what is more important is the WAY YOU LOOK at the event that creates that vulnerability in the first place. The more we decrease our perfectionist attitude, and try to forgive ourselves, go easy on ourselves the easier our life will get. However, if we can't do that that's okay too. ( )
1 vote MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
Subtitle: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead ( )
  Elishibai | Jul 6, 2015 |
Rarely do I give a book 5 stars, but for me, this book was nothing less than transformative. Brene Brown comes across as a regular, flawed person who has found her way out of the dark with a great deal of effort. For her to be able to deliver this information on how she did it and we can too in a funny, uplifting manner is an incredible accomplishment. If you have never struggled with vulnerability, then you are very lucky- but this book might not be for you. If you a person that struggles every day to believe you are good enough, despite your many achievements, I cannot recommend this book enough. Diving deeper into what the underlying causes of that "not got enough" feeling are was illuminating for me. Now that I understand it, I too can muster the courage to Dare Greatly. I am immensely grateful for this book and for Brown's bravery in writing it. ( )
1 vote JenBurge | Mar 20, 2015 |
At times her [Brown's] suggestions sound like the satirical affirmations of the Stuart Smalley character from TV's Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." But she also offers good insights into how people don personal armor to shield themselves from vulnerability.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Laura Landro (Oct 30, 2012)
Voor Steve

Jij maakt de wereld zoveel mooier
en mj zoveel moediger
. . . when I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary.
The word persona is the Greek term for “stage mask.” [...F]itting in and belonging are not the same thing. [...] I get to be me if I belong. I have to be like you to fit in.

Based on twelve years of research, thought leader Dr. Brene Brown argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection.

86 wanted2 pay10 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Daring Greatly by Brené Brown was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible