Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be…

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Brene Brown

Member:bclplyr
Title:Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
Authors:Brene Brown
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, courage, risk, self-worth, daring greatly, shame, vulnerability

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown (Author) (2012)

English (45)  Dutch (3)  All (48)
If more people understood what shame really does to people, there would be a lot less shaming going on. Shame has no positive uses, and as a society we need to learn to stop imposing it on people. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This is a very interesting and thought provoking book. I was pleasantly surprised by the specific attention paid to teaching and parenting. I listened to it on audio, but it had so many intriguing ideas, I plan to reread it in print. ( )
  EllsbethB | Jan 15, 2017 |
A wholehearted treatise on living (and thriving) with vulnerability, grounded in research but written in an accessible, actionable manner. ( )
  jasonli | Dec 26, 2016 |
It's possible that this book may change your life, or at least your outlook on how you and others live it. The kernel of inspiration for Brown was Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech given at the Sorbonne, where "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better." The critic, in her view, is just as often chides from within as it is someone else in our lives, at home or in the crowd. The essence of the book is permitting yourself to dare greatly. If you're someone for whom perfectionism is a driving force or the shame of failing or not measuring up holds you back, then this book is for you. If you convey to others, your coworkers, your kids, your spouse that their own expectations, performance, goals are insufficient or never enough, this book is also for you.

Great things, whether they're a small personal accomplishment like learning to dance or something great like starting a business, these great things mean risk taking and making yourself vulnerable. The safe path rarely leads to anything remarkable and, in the end, you'll be wanting for more. We need courage. We need to open ourselves to criticism and the chance that failure might result. It's how we learn best.

If you're not sure about the book, take a look at Brené Brown's TED talks on the same subject matter.

The Power of Vulnerability https://youtu.be/iCvmsMzlF7o

Listening to Shame https://youtu.be/psN1DORYYV0 ( )
  traumleben | Dec 17, 2016 |
This was my second Brene Brown book. I previously read Gift of Imperfection. Though I do think that Gifts of Imperfection is a better constructed book, I still found a lot that was important and impactful. This book was really well thought out and her voice is so strong and lovely. She is encouraging and smart, and her empathy is very apparent in her words. I would definitely recommend this book and any/all of Brene Brown's work. ( )
  ceciliachard | Dec 2, 2016 |
At times her [Brown's] suggestions sound like the satirical affirmations of the Stuart Smalley character from TV's Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." But she also offers good insights into how people don personal armor to shield themselves from vulnerability.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Laura Landro (Oct 30, 2012)

Brown, BrenéAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horst, Marijke van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Steve

Jij maakt de wereld zoveel mooier
en mj zoveel moediger
. . . when I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary.
The word persona is the Greek term for “stage mask.” [...F]itting in and belonging are not the same thing. [...] I get to be me if I belong. I have to be like you to fit in.

Based on twelve years of research, thought leader Dr. Brene Brown argues that vulnerability is not weakness, but rather our clearest path to courage, engagement, and meaningful connection.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brené Brown's book Daring Greatly was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible