Meltwater. Michael Ridpath (Fire & Ice 3) by…

Meltwater. Michael Ridpath (Fire & Ice 3) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Michael Ridpath

Member:AnneHudson
Title:Meltwater. Michael Ridpath (Fire & Ice 3)
Authors:Michael Ridpath
Info:Corvus (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but not reviewed yet

Meltwater by Michael Ridpath (2012)

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
Freeflow is a group of activists, similar to Wikileaks, that publish secret information. In this case it's horrifying video footage of an Israeli military atrocity. The group meets in Iceland to release and publicize the footage and for fun one day, the Freeflow members visit a volcano. After splitting up to explore the scenery, one of the activists is brutally murdered. Icelandic detective Magnus Jonson is immediately sent to investigate what exactly happened on the site of the volcano, but is met with suspicion by those members of Freeflow he is trying to help. If that isn’t enough, his estranged brother Ollie comes for a visit and the feud that has haunted their family for three generations is about to reignite.

Meltwater is the third appearance of Iceland-born, Boston-raised homicide detective Magnus Jonson, whose first appearance was in Where the Shadows Lie. Magnus was seconded to the Icelandic Police Force for his own protection after he ran afoul of a drug cartel back in Boston, but also has his own reasons for returning to the country of his birth for the first time in nearly two decades to investigate the unsolved murder of his father. Magnus Jonson is a complex and totally compelling character, fitting perfectly into the bleak and intimidating settings of Mr. Ridpath’s Iceland. Meltwater is a masterful crime novel set in a fascinating land. I can't wait to read the next book in the series where we are assured we will finally find out what happened to Magnus' father. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
There are two parallel stories running through the Fire and Ice series by Michael Ridpath. One is a "present-day" crime that the protagonist, Icelandic-American Magnus Jonson (Icelandic name: Magnús Ragnarsson), must solve as part of his secondment with the Icelandic police force. The other is a generations-long family feud involving Magnus' family and that of the late Icelandic author Benedikt Johannsson. I must admit that, in this installment of the series, I cared not one whit about the present-day crime and ended up skipping to the bits about the family feud, which were more interesting. Fortunately, the book is structured so that you can do this easily. And despite not liking the present-day storyline of this installment, I will continue with the series because of the setting, the police characters, and of course that family feud. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 9, 2016 |
This is an excellent continuation of the series which ends in a bit of a cliffhanger leading into the next book, which is good news as I'd got it into my head that this was a trilogy. The suspense is maintained throughout this book with a very deft interweaving of the various strands. As well as the Meltwater storyline, the background family storyline gets some more attention and looks as if it will come to a head soon. Hopefully the 4th book will be out soon and put us out of our misery. Come on Mr Ridpath! ( )
  SamM4 | Mar 31, 2013 |
for Mary
Death came frame by frame, in grainy black and white.

Operation Meltwater: FreeFlow, a group of internet activists committed to the freedom of information have video evidence of a military atrocity in the Middle East and have chosen Iceland as their HQ while they prepare to unleash their greatest coup on the world's media.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,499,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible