The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an…

The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife (edition 2012)

by Patricia Harman

Member:yourotherleft
Title:The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife
Authors:Patricia Harman
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, Great Depression, midwives, West Virginia

The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife by Patricia Harman

The Birth House by Ami McKay (saratoga99, vancouverdeb)
    saratoga99: Similar time-period Canadian debut historical fiction.
    vancouverdeb: Both books are about midwifery in the early 1920's ,1930's. Both also tackle social issues.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cammykitty)

This a novel which begins in the 1920's and goes into the Great Depression. It is the story of a young woman, who, through a set of circumstances, loses her husband and then miscarries their child. She ends up being a wet nurse and when she loses that job she flees and takes refuge with a midwife, who becomes her mentor. Eventually, Patience inherits the "job" upon the death of her mentor. This book is about her trials, tribulations, and triumphs. I liked this book because of its broad spectrum. The setting is a small mining town in Appalachian West Virginia. Included in this tale are the struggle of the unions, the hardships of coal mining towns, the KKK, and yes, a bit of romance. Very enjoyable and informative ( )
  tess_i_am48 | Aug 8, 2014 |
The Midwife of Hope River left me with mixed feelings. I was fascinated with the birthing stories, Patience’s life as a midwife during the Depression, the union theme, and the evolving interracial relationships. I didn’t care for the way Patience’s back story was told in bits and pieces. Still and all, I recommend this book. ( )
  JoStARs | Jul 14, 2014 |
I really really liked this story of a midwife-through-experience. Set in 1930, the beginning of the depression, while history was "off" in places (Civil War veterans could not be 70 years old in 1930 unless they served from the cradle) the story rang true, and it was a compelling read. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Jun 2, 2014 |
This was a fair representation of midwifery in the time of the Great Depression without being unnecessarily graphic. Anecdotes of births (and near births) help summarize and put the times in perspective. I only wish the romance between Patience and Hester (an unfortunate name for the vet) were not so recognizable from a mile away. ( )
  amandacb | Apr 8, 2014 |
The Great Depression, racial tensions, and mining conflicts combine to make Patience live a quiet life in Virginia. She records her thoughts, along with the details of the births she attends in her diary. An interesting look at the 1930s and great characters. ( )
  busyreadin | Apr 3, 2014 |
Most of my life I've felt like I was dreaming. Now and then I wake up, sometimes for months, sometimes minutes. I'm a character from a play, and I can't tell if I'm making it up or if a great puppeteer is making me dance.

- From the private diary of Patience Murphy, Midwife , Wild Rose Road, Liberty, West Virginia, U.S.A 1929 - 1930
" How long do you think that my baby's been dead?" Katherine turns toward me, and I can tell that she's still crying.

Book Description

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need—and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust—but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in.

Midwife Patience Murphy has a gift: a talent for escorting mothers through the challenges of bringing children into the world. Working in the hardscrabble conditions of Appalachia during the Depression, Patience takes the jobs that no one else wants, helping those most in need--and least likely to pay. She knows a successful midwifery practice must be built on a foundation of openness and trust--but the secrets Patience is keeping are far too intimate and fragile for her to ever let anyone in. Honest, moving, and beautifully detailed, Patricia Harman's The Midwife of Hope River rings with authenticity as Patience faces nearly insurmountable difficulties. From the dangerous mines of West Virginia to the terrifying attentions of the Ku Klux Klan, Patience must strive to bring new light and life into an otherwise hard world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,154,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible