Envy (Fury) by Elizabeth Miles

Envy (Fury)

by Elizabeth Miles

Series: Furies (2)

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better—the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.
  JESGalway | Feb 7, 2019 |
This book presents a new twist on an old frustration of mine.

The frustration is: LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Do you know that, like, fifty percent of the angst and pointless drama in most books could be cut if the main character just COMMUNICATED with those around her? (Particularly the boyfriend/love interest…)
The twist: She can’t. At least, not without bringing down the wrath of the Furies to fuck up everyone’s lives even MORE.

So, I didn’t really like the first book that much. But it was interesting, so I went and put books 2 and 3 on hold at the library. This book TOTALLY saved the series for me.

Skylar: was basically the Chase of this book, but I liked Chase better than Skylar. Don’t get me wrong, out of Chase and Skylar, Skylar is more LIKABLE. But I liked Chase better because his character was INTERESTING. Really, there aren’t enough straight-up dirtbags in YA fiction.
But speaking of Skylar, I'm pretty sure Aunt Nora will be the linch pin for figuring this shit out in book three. She obviously knows about the Furies, knew what was going on with Em, and mentioned Drea to Sky after meeting Meg, so I'm thinking she's got all the puzzle pieces to fit together.

Drea. What the--why? back to the old frustration, new twist thing, Drea just did without the twist. She had no threat of Fury-wrath (that we're aware of) hanging over her head. And still, she refused to communicate with Em. Which, of course, is what led to the events at the end of this book.

Crow! Oh, man, Crow is seriously cool. I find myself really liking him. But—JD is the ONE. He’s the ONE, man. Crow is cool, but—seriously, JD.

Speaking of, JD, man up! And we’re back to the old frustration-new twist thing. Why, JD, why? Em (and me!) was totally suffering the whole time, and you just—Okay, I KNOW the Furies fucked with your memories, but—

Also, sad to say, but the plot twist at the end? Not so much of a twist from my perspective. Of course, it’s totally my fault. While I was reading book one, I read the blurbs for books 2 and 3, and book 3’s blurb pretty much gave away the ending of this book (And was probably about 40% of the motivation for me to pick up this book) but still!

And now I’m anxiously waiting for my library to get book 3 and then get it me.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I actually enjoyed this book more than the first one. I know I probably should have felt bad for Skylar, but she was my least favorite character, so when she got hurt, I didn't feel particularly bad for her. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  superducky | Mar 31, 2013 |

High school junior Em researches Greek mythology in an effort to rid her Maine town of the returning, revenge-seeking Furies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,908,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible