The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey) by Julie…

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey) (edition 2012)

by Julie Kagawa

5207229,424 (3.73)8
Member:oct12
Title:The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

I probably should have thought this one through more. I started on the Iron Fey series by this same author and while the first book was ok, I just couldn't get into any of the other ones, so they sit upon my shelves collecting dust.
I struggled to get past the first part of this book, and it took me over a week to get up to page 207. The story is a good one and the writing is superb, apparently I just can't read books about the Fey, as they don't interest me. I guess my main problem was that even though the writing was amazing, I just really felt no connection to any of the characters. I couldn't put myself in their lives and see me doing any of the things they did. Ethan was a strong male lead and Kenzie makes the perfect female character, afraid but strong willed and doesn't really show that she can't handle what is going on. The Fey in the book, was mostly what I had previously read about in other books, goblins, gremlins, and the like; though there was the introduction of the new smokey/shadowy fey.
I feel that I may be burnt out on Fey books for now and will try to come back to this and the Iron Fey series at a later date. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
Ik hou van de ijzerlegendes en zonder dat je het in de gaten hebt ben je weer ondergedompeld in hun wereld. ( )
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
(before reading)
Okay, I'm going to be completely honest.
At this point, I have read too many reviews of this book. I pretty much already know what's going to happen, and this isn't a good thing.
I'm probably going to have to, in the future, be like, "Monica. No read book reviews on goodreads. bad for you, it is."

(after reading)
Review:
Plot: 5/5
Well, who would’ve thought that after the Iron Fey problem got resolved another type of monster fey would crawl out of the woodworks and cause trouble? If you thought yes, then you would be a certified fortune-teller!

Characters: 5/5
We have Ethan, whom we all remember from the first series. We have new characters, like Kenzie and Todd. And we have Kierran, who was mentioned in the Iron Knight. We also have Grimalkin, Leanansidhe, and we see Meghan, Ash and Puck! It’s tons of fun!

Character development: 5/5
You can’t really have characters change a lot in one book that’s supposed to be the first in a series. But let’s talk about Ethan.
In the first series, he was an adorable little four-year-old and he was kind of small and didn’t really have a stake in things other than being used as bait. Bait does not equal very developed character.
Now he’s older (I don’t know what his actually age is currently. It’s over four and under 18, but that’s not real specific) He can still see the fey (that was supposed to fade. It does for most kids) and he’s in martial arts with a sword and iron jewelry and total jerkface-ish. Pushing people away so they don’t get hurt.
Not to be rude, but that reason for being mean is just a tad overused at this point.
By the end, he’s nicer.
Points for Julie Kagawa!

Romance: 4/5
I really don’t like it when the romance starts out for no other reason then they’re attracted to each other and then they go on an adventure together and fall in love. I like there to be a bit MORE of reason, but I am not complaining. I love Ethan and Kenzie.

Other Comments: Julie Kagawa can do no wrong. She could try really, really hard to do wrong and NOT BE ABLE TO MANAGE IT. That is how much she can not do wrong.
I get the feeling that we’re supposed to… Meghan, Ash, Puck, and all those other characters from the first series? Well, I get the feeling that JK wants us to start thinking that they’re… not bad guys, necessarily, but they’re not GOOD guys anymore. If that makes sense.

Overall grade: 19/20

Also, before reading this book, I did not know that Ethan was considered a Prince. Now that I know that, the title makes SOOO much more sense.
And I am going to have some comments on the title of the Traitor Son. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
What an awesome start to a new series from Julie Kagawa. I always felt a little sorry for Ethan,kidnapped & terrorised by the fey then left behind by his sister (even if it was to keep him safe), I am so glad he finally got his own tale.

This book was every bit as good as the original Iron Fey series and I loved the mix of old and new characters. However it wasn't just a continuation. This a whole new adventure. From the first page I was again drawn in to the fey realm and remained there for the matter of hours it too me to read this.

Many first books in a series spend a lot of time setting up the series and not as much on the story. Maybe this is because we are already pretty familiar with the Faerie realm due to previous Iron Fey novels but I love that the main story of this book was a story in itself and resolved while still setting up the newest series in this world.

As mentioned before, I always felt sorry for Ethan and Julie Kagawa uses this at the beginning of the book to Gain Ethan more empathy as we find out what Ethan's life has been like growing up being able to see THEM and even worse...They can see him! Even though at 17 he presents such a tough front, all I could see was the vulnerable four year old inside who though he had never quite gotten over what had happened to him and has had to deal with the fey all his life has still managed to grow up with a clear sense of right and wrong and though he may not admit it to himself, a wish that no one lose he cares about or is even acquainted with gets caught up in the crazy warped world of the Faery. Due to previous history I was always going to love him but the way he is written in this novel made it that much easier.

Lastly, the plot line itself is intriguing and riveting as right from the beginning we want to know what this new menace is and why the fey exiles and half breeds are disappearing. Even better, what do find out is worth the wait!

Overall, this is awesome read. Some developments I did pick up quite early on but this did not impede my overall enjoyment of the book.

Julie Kagawa is at her best with this story. I give it 5 stars.
  SapphiredDragon | Nov 21, 2017 |
After reading the story of Meghan Chase did you ever wonder about her brother, who could see Them? Did you want to know what happened to him? In these next three books you will learn about how is life got turned upside-down. Ethan was a boy who could see Them, the fey. They knew it to. He had wards set up around his house and always followed a list of rules regarding the fey. Mainly, never bargain with them. Although after he moves to the city and starts fresh, he meets a girl and discovers a new kind of fey, the Forgotten. Forced to escape to the Nevernever, with the girl, and is dragged into a situation he had been avoiding for so long. Breaking all his rules, he must do everything he can to help. However, once meeting someone, he sets a dangerous prophecy into motion.

If you liked Meghan's story of the iron fey this will be your new favorite. A book you just can't put down. In this thrilling romance, action, novel you will see Faery in a whole new light. This book will continue the story of a particular girl who could never have guessed her future. I would rate this book four and a half stars. ( )
  PiperP.BG3 | Nov 30, 2016 |
To Guru Ron, and all the "badges of courage" I received in class.
My Name is Ethan Chase.

When Ethan Chase is attacked and the fey begin to disappear, he must change the rules he lives by to protect his family and save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible