The Lost Prince (Iron Fey) by Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince (Iron Fey) (edition 2012)

by Julie Kagawa

254None44,986 (3.94)4
Member:jwitt33
Title:The Lost Prince (Iron Fey)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Lost Prince (Iron Fey) by Julie Kagawa

2012 (3) 2013 (3) 2014 (3) action (2) adventure (2) ebook (3) fae (3) faerie (12) fairies (3) fantasy (27) favorites (3) fiction (5) Iron Fey (8) love story (3) magic (5) netgalley (9) own (2) paranormal (4) paranormal romance (5) read (3) read in 2012 (3) romance (2) series (5) supernatural (2) to-read (27) unread (2) urban fantasy (10) YA (12) YA Fantasy (2) young adult (18)

This is a continuation of the series that takes place mostly in the land of the fey and centers around Meghan Chase, the half-human daughter of Oberon, King of the Faery Summer Court. She is now Queen of the Iron Court and married to Ash, former Prince of the Winter Court. This particular book tells what happened to her brother Ethan, currently 17.

Ethan, while human, has had the “Sight” his whole life, meaning he can see the fey even in the human realm. As a result, they torment him, and he has gotten into constant trouble because of their harassment. Now, he is once again starting a new school, and once again being beset by fey. But this time, there is a big difference.

Somehow, a new breed of fey has appeared: the Forgotten. These “vampire faeries” prey on fey and half-breeds who inhabit the human world, draining their glamour, or their very essence. As Grimalkin, the talking cat, explains:

"Glamour - the dreams and imagination of mortals - is what keeps us alive. Even half-breeds have a bit of magic inside them. But these creatures have been forgotten for so long, the only way for them to exist in the real world is to steal it from others. But it is only temporary. To truly exist, to live without fear, they need to be remembered again. Otherwise they are in danger of fading away once more.”

Ah, there’s the rub. No one knows who they are, so no one remembers them, and so they keep on attacking more victims in order to survive.

Ethan gets involved after Todd, a half-breed at his new school, finds him and begs for help. Furthermore, a cute girl, Kenzie, is also following Ethan around. He definitely doesn’t want to get her involved, because if the fey sense someone else is important to you, they will go after that person to get to you. But Kenzie is oddly persistent, and Ethan ends up taking her with him to the faery realm in order to escape an attack of The Forgotten.

Grimalkin leads Ethan and Kenzie to the Iron Court, and to Meghan. She insists he stay put until she can figure out what to do, but a strange faery named Keirran says he will lead Ethan and Kenzie back out. Ethan doesn’t know who this Keirran is, but he will find out soon enough, and everything will change.

Discussion: I thought Kagawa showed a jump in sophistication in her writing of this book. Here, instead of directing all her creativity toward fashioning fantastical landscapes, she constructs a nice, layered character study, especially with respect to Ethan. He is a boy who has lived his whole life with fear, anger, guilt, and self-loathing, and he has erected heavy defensive walls around himself. If he kept everyone at arm’s length, the fey wouldn’t hurt them. He watched a friend get destroyed once, and he just doesn’t want to let anyone in for any reason. It’s a well-drawn portrait. My only complaint is that Ethan, who is attracted to Kenzie, is constantly talking about her wonderful slender, slim body. I read this in paper, so could not do a word count of how often the words "slender" and "slim" appeared, but it was way too much, and irritated me enough to distract me from the story.

I might also note, as an aside, that I hate the cover.

Evaluation: Fans of the series will like this in-depth look at what happened to Meghan's human brother while she has been off in Nevernever land. Ethan tries to push everyone away, but one can't help but see the heart and soul underneath his rough exterior, and like him as a character. ( )
  nbmars | Mar 19, 2014 |
I quite liked this installment of the series. Ethan Chase has lived with certain rules all his life, don't look at Them, don't speak of Them and never enter Their world. However his life becomes compliclated when some faerie start disappearing, while he would kinda like to ignore this, one of them is a half-faerie fellow student.

Through the story Ethan has to deal with his assumptions and open up to his fellow student MacKenzie (Kenzie) who is determined to fine out more about him and the situation. Their lives will never be the same again and Ethan has to deal with destiny and the sister he thought lost to him forever.

I enjoyed it once Ethan started caring about others. I could understand the why but going through the angst was a climb. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 17, 2014 |
I have ARC in hand....because I have the most awesome Teen Services manager ever!
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley and MiraINK in exchange for my honest review. Thanks!

The last book I read of the Iron Fey series, The Iron Knight, was a huge (and I can't stress enough how huge that is) a disappointment. Until that book I'd loved Ash and Puck and Meghan. The Iron Knight made me dislike them.

So, when I requested The Lost Prince, I was a little biased. I wondered whether it would be more like the first three books, or like the fourth one. Turns out it was different from both.

In fact, it was so different that I was pleasantly stunned! I totally loved Ethan's voice! His brooding, cranky behavior. His courage, his boldness, his reservation. He was just the perfect boy - not bad, but not all that good either.

In other words, The Lost Prince was just the right dose of thrill, romance and paranormality that I'd needed at the time. Hence my rating.

The story was pretty original, fey wise; the characters were lovable, and I can safely say that I enjoyed it very much.

Kenzie was my favorite character of the lot. She was so sweet and adorable. I sensed something was the matter with her, but only when she told her story did I realize exactly what it was. And yet she was brave about it, which made her enter my heart in deep.

So, whatever you thought of the previous Iron Fey books, whether you liked them or not, that shouldn't take a toll on you acquiring The Lost Prince. It was an amazing book! You should definitely read it!

VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I am not sure why but it took me forever to get into this book. I read about 50% of it then took a few months break, then another 30% and another month break, and now I have FINALLY finished it. It was not for lack of story line or interesting plot, I just felt I was not invested in the characters. I think that I have mentioned that I have NOT read The Iron Fey series, I know about the plotline and the characters but since I didn't have all the back story I just could not get into this book.

Ethan Chase is the main character of this series and is trying to find out what is happening to the half-breeds and exile fey. Ethan has been tormented by the fey all his life, so when you meet him, he is mostly a jerk to everyone and everything that crosses his path. I kind of understood where he was coming from but at the same time, I think he was just a jerk to be a jerk...and that put me off a bit.

I made it into the Nevernever with him and followed him on his quest to find his friend and what was happening, but even at the climaxes, which should have been interesting thought provoking moment, they just fell flat because I did not care what happened to Ethan. In the last four chapters was when I started feeling for him and that was a whole book too late for me.

The other characters both human and fey were interesting and I loved them, especially all the little guys that helped though the adventure, talking cats, flying things, so fun and cute. I really need to read Meghan's tale and the whole Iron Fey series before trying to tackle the next book in this one.

So my recommendation is to read the first series and then follow it with this, like most people probably did, I was crazy to think I could start this series as a completely new one. ( )
  sszkutak | Jan 18, 2014 |

When Ethan Chase is attacked and the fey begin to disappear, he must change the rules he lives by to protect his family and save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible