The Lost Prince (Iron Fey) by Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince (Iron Fey) (edition 2012)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:cloudynight
Title:The Lost Prince (Iron Fey)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:made me cry

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Kawaga is a genius! I've said it before, and I'll say it again!

I liked this a lot. New characters, and cameos from the old favorites -- Ash, Meghan, and Puck, Grim! It was awesome. I'm definitely excited to continue with this series. I'm not quite as attached to them as the original cast, but it's the first book, so I'm waiting to see :)

If you like The Iron Fey series, it's definitely worth it to go back into this wonderful world of Fae and fantasy. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Not since 'Buffy' has burning down your high school (all or part of it) led to such a great story. One where the protagonist - and accused arsonist - is struggling to live a relatively normal life, all while dealing with the existence of otherworldly creatures - of the not so friendly variety - that no one else is even aware of.

Buffy almost had it easier in the 'pretending to be normal' department too: vampires couldn't come out in the sunlight and everyone else could see them. The fae, however, are entirely different. Not restricted to nighttime hours, they're around always . . . but only other fae see them, unless they want to be seen.

Which has led to Ethan Chase, Meghan Chase from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey quartet's younger half brother, being labelled as a trouble maker - as a suspected high school arsonist.

Ready to start over now at another school, Ethan plans to keep to his rule not to look at Them, not to let Them know he can see. If they don't know he can see, the fae can torment him, can bring trouble his way - like they did before. They'll think he's like everyone else.

Ethan thinks he's done a fine job of keeping away the world that took his sister Meghan away from him and their family.Iron, salt, wards, he does everything he can to keep Them out, to stay unnoticed.

But it seems not to be working when he's pulled back into a world he thought he'd never be a part of again - and with someone he'd already vowed to stay away from.

The Lost Prince is the first book in The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, both a continuation of The Iron Fey series - with Meghan, Ash and Puck that contains four novels and three short stories - and the start to a new series starring Ethan.

While it's clear that The Lost Prince is a new series - with new characters, settings, events, etc - Kagawa found a pretty perfect blend of continuing The Iron Fey series and starting Call of the Forgotten. Ethan Chase, at the start of the book, is a teenager, twelve years removed from the events of The Iron King.

It's a great way to start the series because those familiar with the previous books get to see what's happened to Meghan's adorable baby brother in the interim years and it also makes it possible for new readers to pick-up the series. There's enough information (recap for old readers, introduction for new ones) to get everyone up-to-date with the fae lore, what happened to Ethan already, but not so much that you get bogged down in previous events. (Old readers will be happy that it's not all catch-up and new readers won't be left thinking, "Hunh?!")

In earlier books, we got a glimpse of the Iron Realm, a new fae court - along with Summer and Winter - that the author created for this series. In The Lost Prince we get to see it fully imagined. I loved the parts we saw from Meghan's trips to it before, but always seemed to still have a better picture of Summer and Winter. Not anymore. Imagination is so apparent in the creation of the Iron court, you can picture it all. The Iron court has become as real, as easy to picture as the Seelie or Unseelie courts of Summer and Winter.

The characters are new this time around - tiny pre-schooler Ethan? Have you seen Ethan on the cover? Yeah, new guy - but we do get some visits from some old favorites (or not so favorites depending on how you interpret that/view them). It was nice to have some of them back.

Ethan's probably what made this book so fantastic. (Seriously, this book is pretty much made of awesome and I blame Ethan - and Julie Kagawa's writing/creation of him.) He's grown up, lived almost his whole life up to this point, knowing about - and seeing - the fae. Knowing that's where his sister is. It's wreaked havoc on his life in more ways than one. It seems to have not only changed but really shaped who he's become.

Ethan's a kind of brilliant character. And the other new characters? Not so bad themselves.

I really can't wait to see where this new series/part of the series goes. I'll be eagerly awaiting Book #2 The Traitor Son.

BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Well, this was absolutely the first book I had ever read by Julie Kagawa, and oh my gosh! I usually do not do the fangirl style review, and I am going to try very hard not to do that here, but I loved this book.

When the story opens, Ethan strikes you as the brooding, "stay away from me, I am trouble" bad boy that he wants everyone to see him as. Because it is easier that way. Maybe it is even safer that way, for Ethan and for those around him. But no matter how hard he tries, things just are not going to work out to be safe and easy in Ethan's world, because Ethan knows to many secrets, and he can never escape who he is, who his family is, or what he is able to do.

The world building in this story is amazing and I could actually picture every scene in my head, imagining as if I were watching a well-scripted movie instead of reading a book. The characters are great, and they have great depth, for the most part. I am still a little confused about the bully scene, with Kingston and his cronies, because I still just do not get how that fit into the story, but maybe I am naive and dense and silly. There were a few things that seemed overly foreshadowed, but I can get past that. Maybe because I have lived a while, maybe because of my obsession with things in the medical field, but I was able to guess pretty easily what Kenzie was hiding. My fair readers, of course, you will have to figure that out for yourself because I always try very hard to not give away spoilers, but it is going to make you want to cry for the duo.

This book has everything. Fantasy worlds that could never really exist (or could they, now?), action, adventure, romance and some good old fashioned family drama. Because every book needs a little family drama, and in this case, it really does add to the story because without the family drama, some things just would not make sense, would they.

I liked that the perception of fairies was so different in this book. It really kept you on your toes, because fairies in this case were not always friendly and helpful and fun. They were mischievous and dangerous and sometimes downright evil. I kind of like that.

Disclaimer, I did get a copy of this book in ebook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

When Ethan Chase is attacked and the fey begin to disappear, he must change the rules he lives by to protect his family and save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible