Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Title:Magisterium
Authors:Jeff Hirsch
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, dystopia, post-apocalyptic

Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Back in September, I went to Austin Teen Book Festival. Jeff Hirsch was the moderator for a panel. He spoke a little about his book, and I thought it sounded interesting. But I mostly purchased this book based on the cover. It is beautiful and creepy all at the same time. So, of course I had to get it.

The storyline was unique. The book brings together technology and fantasy. I didn't think it could be done, but Hirsch pulled it off nicely.

I didn't connect well with the main character, Glenn. She's whiney, and refuses to believe other possibilities when they are right in front of her face. She's irrational. She does what's best for her and doesn't think about anything or anyone else. The supporting characters were more likeable than Glenn. I just feel like she didn't have much depth.

I felt like the events were rushed, and I was left with a lot of questions. Some of the magical elements weren't explained very well, and that frustrated me beyond belief.

The way the book ended it could be a standalone or series. I'd love to learn more about the Magisterium and get a grasp on the inhabitants.

If you're looking for something different, or a big Fantasy fan, you might enjoy this. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
There is a good concept within this book, but the execution of the story was lackluster and boring. This book started and ended in a not so distant version of our world, which I appreciated. Glenn was introduced as a smart and driven girl, but I never got to know that girl. Glenn’s father makes a scientific breakthrough and Glenn and Kevin travel to the Magisterium for most of the book in a search for answers regarding her mother’s disappearance. The Magisterium for me was an ill-conceived, dull, soupy, mess. I had a hard time understanding the character relationships, where the magical powers ultimately came from, and why I should care what happens to the characters that are at war with each other. Overall, the world-building and backstory was hollow, which left me underwhelmed. I read the author’s other book, The Eleventh Plague, which I enjoyed. I feel like fantasy/science fiction is a genre he may not be as comfortable writing about.

The audio version was decent. The transitions between scenes and characters occasionally blended together, which may have been easier to comprehend in print. ☊ ★★★★☆

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
This had a lot of things that, conceptually, were really cool. Unfortunately, the pacing was painfully slow and there wasn't enough actual worldbuilding done to ever make this interesting (or even make sense. A lot of this simply didn't make sense because the time wasn't taken to ever explain anything). ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054529018X, Hardcover)

On one side of the Rift is a technological paradise without famine or want. On the other side is a mystery.

Sixteen-year-old Glenn Morgan has lived next to the Rift her entire life and has no idea of what might be on the other side of it. Glenn's only friend, Kevin, insists the fence holds back a world of monsters and witchcraft, but magic isn't for Glenn. She has enough problems with reality: Glenn's mother disappeared when she was six, and soon after, she lost her scientist father to his all-consuming work on the mysterious Project. Glenn buries herself in her studies and dreams about the day she can escape. But when her father's work leads to his arrest, he gives Glenn a simple metal bracelet that will send Glenn and Kevin on the run---with only one place to go.
With MAGISTERIUM, Jeff Hirsch brings us the story of a complex, captivating world that will leave readers breathless until the very last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:43 -0400)

In the twenty-second century, Glennora Morgan's father has been working on a project that will allow him to penetrate the Rift border and retrieve Glennora's mother; but now that he has succeeded the Authority is suddenly trying to kill them both, and Glennora and her friend Kevin must flee into the Magisterium to escape them.… (more)

28 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,236,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible