Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

Title:Magisterium
Authors:Jeff Hirsch
Info:
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, dystopia, post-apocalyptic

Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch

In this futuristic world, The Rift separates the known from the unknown. Sixteen-year-old Glenn has always been taught that nothing exists on the other side of The Rift. Ever since her mother left them 10 years ago her scientist father has buried himself in experiments, barely acknowledging her presence.

Become a follower of my blog, and enter to win a free ARC of this book. Must be a resident of the USA, and a follower of my blog. Contest ends 9:15 pm EST Tuesday September 18th.

Read the rest of my review and enter at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/magisterium-jeff-hirsch/

ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the Eleventh Plague, so I had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately it didn't even come close to my hopes. It seemed muddled, confused,and just not that well written.i hate to criticize a book, but honestly, pass this book by and find a better read. ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book. Theory behind it is great, the book itself is not.

The theory, that a world split by a rift that separates science and magic into unique lands, could have been an AMAZING book. There were strong elements, like a house cat that because a magical warrior being on the other side of the rift was my favorite part. The girl whose parents come from each side of the wall, also amazing. But the pay off was weak. The book needed to be longer-- the pay off at the end felt forced, like a college writing assignment that someone was ripping off the printer on their way to class.

lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Just couldn't get into it once they crossed the Rift and her cat became her helper. Honestly this was one weird book. I loved A Reader of Fictions review and couldn't agree more with what is written. Skip all the reviews and just read that one. ( )
  JRlibrary | Feb 9, 2014 |
Recommended

When we first meet Glenn, she is at home on her tablet and spends her time at school and looking out for her dad. Her best friend is Kevin, but their relationship has just turned weird because he tried to kiss her. Glenn’s dad sort of neglects her because he is working on and invention in their shed. This is part of his never-ending search for his wife (Glenn’s mother) who left 10 years ago. Glenn just wants to get into the Deep Space Service Academy and is trying to skip a year of school. Kevin seems to be reading more and more about conspiracy theories that Glenn does not want to hear about. Glenn’s dad makes a breakthrough in his invention and tells Glenn about it. Glenn and Kevin end up on the run because of this invention and they have to run across into the Rift. Turns out that Glenn has all sorts of magical powers (affinity) and has been lied to her entire life.

I think that students who start this book will want to finish it. It did not get rave reviews, but I think as long as it keep kids reading, it’s a good book. I would agree with the reviews about Glenn’s personality and how past events have hardened her outlook on life. I found myself reading the book and not being happy with the choices she made. However, after finishing the book, it’s possible that these are the choices a hurt, teenage girl might make. She was just mad and didn’t want to hear that she was wrong.

There are elements of dystopian fiction, romance, action-adventure, fantasy and magical creatures. A lot going on, but I did not notice any glaring flaws. The only objectionable material in this book is some of the violence, but nothing extraordinary. I will recommend it to students. The cover art is well done and reflects the book. I would put this book up on a new book display. I would also book talk it with other dystopian fiction. I think it will appeal to both boys and girls. ( )
  kmjanek | Oct 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054529018X, Hardcover)

On one side of the Rift is a technological paradise without famine or want. On the other side is a mystery.

Sixteen-year-old Glenn Morgan has lived next to the Rift her entire life and has no idea of what might be on the other side of it. Glenn's only friend, Kevin, insists the fence holds back a world of monsters and witchcraft, but magic isn't for Glenn. She has enough problems with reality: Glenn's mother disappeared when she was six, and soon after, she lost her scientist father to his all-consuming work on the mysterious Project. Glenn buries herself in her studies and dreams about the day she can escape. But when her father's work leads to his arrest, he gives Glenn a simple metal bracelet that will send Glenn and Kevin on the run---with only one place to go.
With MAGISTERIUM, Jeff Hirsch brings us the story of a complex, captivating world that will leave readers breathless until the very last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:46 -0400)

In the twenty-second century, Glennora Morgan's father has been working on a project that will allow him to penetrate the Rift border and retrieve Glennora's mother; but now that he has succeeded the Authority is suddenly trying to kill them both, and Glennora and her friend Kevin must flee into the Magisterium to escape them.… (more)

20 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible