The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner

My absolute favorite of all the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler books. I think it was very genuine to the show and I could really imagine it behind its own episode! Great book! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
"Read" as an audiobook. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Mickey is astounded to discover a statue in the British Museum that looks exactly like Rose. Is this a coincidence, or this is a sign of some serious wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff? It’s the latter. Ten and Rose end up going to ancient Rome to ensure that the statue (representing the goddess Fortuna) is made; however, they have to be careful not to introduce a paradox or bring about the end of the world…

The audiobook version is read by David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor, and he does a good job with it. Ten always sounds best when David’s reading him! He is also game for a variety of voices, including Rose, Jackie, Mickey (oh dear, poor Mickey), and even a particularly strange alien creature.

On its own, the story is good. Ancient Rome is always a draw for me, and this story hits a few highlights of the period. The dialogue is mostly good, although I do get tired of the Ten/Rose flirty banter. He’s a Time Lord, and also way too old for her or any human (regardless of gender). And I was annoyed with the banter even with David Tennant voicing it! If I’d read it in print, I would have been even more annoyed.

My rating is therefore 2.5 for the actual story (it would have been a 3 without the flirtiness) and an extra star for David’s narration. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Aug 6, 2017 |
An excited Mickey brings Rose, The Doctor and Jackie to the museum because he has a surprise for them. When Rose sees a statue of herself she cannot believe how the sculptor captured every last detail about her. It's not long before she realises that this means that she has to travel back to Ancient Rome to sit for it. In a blink the Doctor and Rose find themselves caught up in a search for a missing boy and trying to out think a Genie.

Often books based on television series tend to miss the mark in their characterisation but I am happy to report that is not the case with The Stone Rose. Rayner gave us the Doctor's anger, his logic, his quick wit and more than anything else, his love and concern for Rose. The banter between Rose and the Doctor was absolutely perfect and reminded how much I loved the two of them together.

As much as I thought that Rayner nailed her characters, the story itself felt confused and a bit all over the place. When Rose and the Doctor first land in ancient Rome, they begin by looking for a young boy who has gone missing. Then the issue becomes about a young man who has always wanted to be an artist and develops the ability to turn living people into stone. This quickly shifts to AI (artificial intelligence) genie which grants wishes and nearly destroys mankind. If you can follow all of that then there are the paradoxes and the leaping around in time. Yes, Doctor Who is all about a clever man with a blue box travelling through time but it should be somewhat easy to follow. By the end of the story, I couldn't tell whether I was coming or going. In short there were too many paradoxes to make sense.

Some of the characters also felt extremely extraneous. Lucius Aelius Rufus exists simply to get the Doctor into the Colosseum to fight as a gladiator - a scene which essentially added nothing to the story whatsoever. Yes, the Doctor is always running around in an almost manic state and often takes on the bad guys in battle but it is supposed to fit into the framework of the story and not feel like an additive. It's almost as though Rayner went into this determined to get the Doctor into the Colosseum and twisted the story to ensure that it happened.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Mar 1, 2016 |
A great Doctor who book, with an interesting plot twist, I think even a first time Doctor who reader would 'get' it. enjoy :) ( )
  SJPluvsMS | Aug 13, 2015 |

Rayner, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie, who made the Roman years so much fun
Rose carefully dropped three pound coins into the large collecting box at the entrance to the British Museum.

Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum - a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realizes that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture. While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future. But then the Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose - and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum - a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realises that this means the Tardis will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,761,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible