Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie

Bound for Glory (1943)

by Woody Guthrie

Other authors: Pete Seeger (Foreword)

623None15,568 (4.06)11

English (7)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)
Not for me no matter what Bob says or how much he likes it. Too dated and it did not feel timeless to me. Off to other things of more interest. ( )
  MSarki | Mar 30, 2013 |
  MSarki | Mar 29, 2013 |
  MSarki | Mar 29, 2013 |
This is one of those books you almost don't want to review for fear of not being able to do it justice. I really have to say that this is now in my top 5 favourite books ever. It is strangely powerful and beautiful in a way only Guthrie could be expected to accomplish. The story is all at once heart-breaking, earthy and elegant. I genuinely cannot recommend it enough. I know it will not be long before I'm pouring over this one again! ( )
1 vote Michaelhlamb | Feb 26, 2011 |
In Bound for Glory Woody Guthrie, 'the father of American folk music', writes about the first thirty-odd years of his life. Born in 1912 he grew up in an Oklahoman oil town, a place of opportunity but also grinding poverty. He had a happy childhood despite the death of his sister and his mother's increasing mental ill-health. In his late teens he started to ride the box cars across American with hundreds of other men (he never mentions women using the trains) searching for work in one new place after another. This nomadic lifestyle, although sharpened by the Great Depression, suits Guthrie. When he has the chance to stay in a relative's grand house or try out for a show biz job, he jumps on the first train out of town to escape the shackles those opportunities would entail.

Despite Guthrie writing about his own life, this book is, at heart, a biography of the American working class and under-classes at a time of economic and social desperation. Its obvious that he had a great love for the people he met and travelled with. His sense of equality and justice, to be found in so much of his music, comes through clearly.

He also has a great way with words. There is a great passage in which he describes how, as a child, he watched bacteria through a microscope. He compares them to two men squaring up for a fight, in wonderful detail. ( )
2 vote charbutton | Nov 19, 2009 |

Woody Guthrieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seeger, PeteForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I could see men of all colors bouncing along in the boxcar. We stood up. We laid down. We piled around on each other. We used each other for pillows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264456, Paperback)

The original road novel--even though it takes the form of autobiography. If Guthrie didn't actually invent the footloose, no- strings-attached American hero (remember this guy Twain who wrote something about lighting out for the territory?), he certainly solidified the 20th-century version. Guitar slung over the shoulder as he sprinted to boost himself aboard freight trains, a man of the people equally at home with urban intellectuals, Guthrie incarnated for generations of Americans the artist as free spirit. This is the book that created the legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:31 -0400)

The late folksinger and composer provides a personal portrait of the first thirty years of his life, from his childhood in Oklahoma to the early years of World War II.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible