Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie

Bound for Glory (1943)

by Woody Guthrie

Other authors: Pete Seeger (Foreword)

English (9)  Swedish (1)  All languages (10)
Not for me no matter what Bob says or how much he likes it. Too dated and it did not feel timeless to me. Off to other things of more interest. ( )
  MSarki | Jan 23, 2016 |
Startling, fresh, and also quite alien--something from a completely different era, particularly when compared with most memoirs written today. Guthrie lost a sister in a fire in which his family also lost all of their possessions, his father left home when he was twelve, he was raised by a brother after his mother was institutionalized for mental problems, and after all this, Guthrie still writes compassionately about them all. Part of the weird alien nature of this book is how family members disappear casually from Guthrie's life. All of these events are narrated as if family disappearing is a matter of course, and maybe it was, for people who had lost everything, even their will to love one another, and who needed to move to wherever they could find sustenance and shelter. I listened to the book as narrated by Arlo Guthrie, and this added to my experience--the words on the page were extremely difficult to parse for me, given the dialect it is written in, and I never would have made my way through it except by listening to the audiobook. ( )
1 vote poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
  MSarki | Mar 30, 2013 |
  MSarki | Mar 29, 2013 |
  MSarki | Mar 29, 2013 |

Woody Guthrieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Seeger, PeteForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I could see men of all colors bouncing along in the boxcar. We stood up. We laid down. We piled around on each other. We used each other for pillows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452264456, Paperback)

The original road novel--even though it takes the form of autobiography. If Guthrie didn't actually invent the footloose, no- strings-attached American hero (remember this guy Twain who wrote something about lighting out for the territory?), he certainly solidified the 20th-century version. Guitar slung over the shoulder as he sprinted to boost himself aboard freight trains, a man of the people equally at home with urban intellectuals, Guthrie incarnated for generations of Americans the artist as free spirit. This is the book that created the legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

The late folksinger and composer provides a personal portrait of the first thirty years of his life, from his childhood in Oklahoma to the early years of World War II.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,450,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible