The Second World War by Antony Beevor

The Second World War (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Antony Beevor

Member:nicktingle
Title:The Second World War
Authors:Antony Beevor
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 880 pages
Rating:*****

The Second World War by Antony Beevor (2012)

English (10)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
An exceptional historical record of the 2nd world war, starts with Japans invasion of mainland China, right until America’s victory. Looks at all the conflicts in Asian, Europe and the Pacific, which is important to understand the bigger picture. From the huge loss of life at Stalingrad, to the great victories by the Russians and Americans which helped us the UK defeat Germany and their allies. The second world should as the TV program says “Be a warning from history”, and lets hope nothing like that happens again, for us or our grandchildren. Real quality book, deserves to be an international best seller, the book is very popular amongst under-graduate students studying history, the book is in-depth, provides huge amount of information, 863 pages in total which includes the index, really long but ideal for history students, people interested in the second world war. Ultimate second world war book that comes from the same author as the book Crete, which won a Runciman Prize, and Stalingrad, all books that I have read, and all books that I value very highly. If you are into second world related histories, then following this authors work might just be up your street. ( )
1 vote Claire5555 | Jan 6, 2015 |
I saw this book referenced in several other WWII books that I own. Read several favorable reviews. Then ultimately bought it for my library. I am not expert on WWII, but do maintain a fair sized library with all sorts of related books and references.

Antony Beevor writes in a style that is fairly easy to read. Trying to cover a war as immense as WWII in complete detail would entail thousands of pages if various topics and areas weren't significantly summarized. That is what the author does with good effect and clarity.

What captured my attention as I started reading it was the opening chapter discussing the early Sino-Soviet battles specifically around Khalkhim Gol. Interestingly these battles set some of the tone and approach of the Soviets during the war in both the eastern and western Soviet Union fronts. Details I had not previously known.

Much my past reading is of biographies of military leaders so some areas of the war in those books were very focused. However, Beevor maintains a fairly balanced approach. Just enough detail to explain the situation, but not enough to overwhelm me. The conflict on the German eastern front was covered with probably more detail that other parts of the war. But, then again, a significant portion of the fighting, death and carnage of the war occurred there. Since I have not previously read many detailed books on this front, I found this book a good starter for later related reading.

In several other book reviews, some readers have dwelved on various errors that Beever included in the book. After doing some fact checking, most, if not all, of the highlighted items are indeed incorrect. However, on balance given the scope of the war, the noted errors do not detract in a major way from the book in general. I think any serious or interested reader can and should do his own fact checking both to learn more and verify the accuracy of authors. This should not be the exception with this book.

By and large, I found this book an excellent read to compliment multiple other books I own about World War II. After reading, I would suggest going to Amazon.com and reading thru reviewer comments about errors to find details and facts to verify with other resources. Given Beevor's writing style, eventually I look forward to reading some other books by him including, Stalingrad and The Fall of Berlin. ( )
1 vote usma83 | Jan 1, 2015 |
Total book of WWII, covers the period from '39 to '45 with an abundance of details. Written in an easy to follow manner with tons of references. I find it the best English history book on WWII. ( )
1 vote AndreiCatalinS | Jun 15, 2014 |
At the excellent talk given by Anthony Beevor I was lucky enough to attend this last summer here in Aarhus (Denmark) (just before the release of 'The Second World War', or 'Anden Verdens Krig', if you're Danish), one of the - extraordinarily perceptive, considering English is not their first language - questions asked by the Danish audience went along the lines of: "Given the profusion of World War II books in general and histories in particular, what will make yours' different?"

I won't go into Anthony's reply (look, I met him, chatted with him and liked him a lot, so it's 'Anthony' from now on, ok?), but it is a question that I've been thinking about the answer to, while reading this truly extraordinary book.

But it's immediately obvious.

Histories of - for instance - the Second World War are written mostly from the point of trying to make sense of something that the more historians write about, the less sense it actually makes. Anthony Beevor makes absolute sense of it all, by showing how little sense it all made. At the time and today. I don't think it's a case of not being able to appreciate the thought processes of societies at 80 years distance. It made no sense to the ordinary people at the time. It makes no sense now.

With 'The Second World War', Antony Beevor is at the top of his game. He writes with a sureness and clarity of style, a deftness of touch, that not just for covers the grand scale of a conflict that stretched across continents, but also has a sharp eye for the the telling detail, the splash of colour that adds nuance to the stark facts and innumerable shockingly senseless figures. And to reveal the ordinary human despair of people adrift at the bottom of a world totally out of control.

So, I'll now bore you with how I read the situation after reading 'The Second World War' (and these opinions are my own, and possibly not those of Antony Beevor, or those he intended his reader to form after reading the book). How do I see the Second World War?

There are shocking tales of blunders, mistakes, ignorance, arrogance and total failure to take or give the right orders. Failure to understand the significance of events or moods among the Generals and politicians, that will have you wondering how anyone won this war, let alone the 'good guys'. But by the end, I think most people will draw the conclusion that the real 'winners' were Stalin and his...well, maybe just Stalin then.

In my estimation, German planning and execution of their plans seems to have been better than the Allies' for the most part. But they were eventually overwhelmed by superior, mostly Soviet, numbers and by Hitler's insistence on incompetant interfering where he should have left it to people who knew what they were doing.

I don't really have a frame of reference for the conflict with Japan and in and around the Pacific. I am naturally, because I'm European, more fascinated by the war in Europe. However, one fact and opinion that struck me in Beevor's description of the conflict that shows that even on a different continent, there was no difference:

"It has been estimated that six in every ten of the 1.74 million Japanese soldiers who died in the war succumbed to disease and starvation. Whatever the scale of their war crimes against foreign nationals, the Japanese chiefs of staff should have been condemned by their own people for crimes against their own soldiers, but this was unthinkable in such a conformist society."

So, far from understanding why we won, after reading this and also Max Hastings' 'All Hell Let Loose', it is in my opinion, possibly more accurate to say; how on earth did we win? Well, it's always going to sound glib trying to sum up the unsummable in a sentence. But let's have a go anyway. I have of course never previously questioned, or even thought to question, that we won World War II, because we were right and we better than them. However, one of the things that has impressed me after reading 'The Second World War' and 'All Hell Let Loose', is this: We won, or rather we didn't lose, because our leaders were slightly less incompetent than theirs'.

Even though i know a lot about the Second World War, as my generation must, and have read many other books about the conflict, the enormity of the events brilliantly presented by Antony Beevor here are almost too much. The facts and figures are so large, so brutal, so numbingly shocking, that it's almost too much to comprehend and absorb. Even though he is obviously describing true events, it's almost too much to believe that it actually did happen. The book contains the kinds of examples of deliberate death and destruction that if the author said he was writing about the Middle Ages, you'd believe him. That it happened within the lifetimes of millions of people still alive and around us today, is hard to square. It's like we're reading about another time and place, yet it was Europe, where I live, within my parents's lifetime. For me, that makes it even more shocking.

I did feel almost literally stunned when i finished the book. I had to take some time to let it all sink in and get my views of it put to rest. Yes, it's an exhaustive and exhausting experience, but it's also a richly rewarding one. As I said above, while the book discusses and analyses the broad strategy sweeps of course, but it also makes us think about and remember those individuals less fortunate than us, who were caught at the wrong time, in the wrong place, and were the ones who paid for others' stupidity, incompetence, megalomania, arrogance, intransigence, ambition and more, through no fault of their own, with their lives. Sacrificed on the altar of someone else's ambition. Maybe we will be in danger of learning and even improving, by reading books like this.

If you're only going to buy one book on the Second World War, make it this one.

And Max Hastings' 'All Hell Let Loose'. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
Excellently written, most of the things presented are known if you are familiar with WWII but it is written in such a way that its still enjoyable. Very well researched, and I still learned things. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 7, 2014 |

Over the past two decades, Antony Beevor has established himself as one of the world's premier historians of WWII. His multi-award winning books have included Stalingrad and The Fall of Berlin 1945. Now, in his newest and most ambitious book, he turns his focus to one of the bloodiest and most tragic events of the twentieth century, the Second World War.

In this searing narrative that takes us from Hitler's invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 to V-J day on August 14th, 1945 and the war's aftermath, Beevor describes the conflict and its global reach--one that included every major power. The result is a dramatic and breathtaking single-volume history that provides a remarkably intimate account of the war that, more than any other, still commands attention and an audience.

Thrillingly written and brilliantly researched, Beevor's grand and provocative account is destined to become the definitive work on this complex, tragic, and endlessly fascinating period in world history, and confirms once more that he is a military historian of the first rank.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Using the most up-to-date scholarship and research, and writing with clarity and compassion, Beevor assembles the whole picture of the SEcond World War in a gripping narrative that extends from the North Atlantic to the South Pacific, from the snowbound steppe to the North African Desert, to the Burmese jungle, SS Einsatzgruppen in the borderlands, Gulag prisoners drafted into punishment battalions, and to the unspeakable cruelties of the Sino-Japanese War.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,937,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible