These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls…

These Happy Golden Years (original 1943; edition 1971)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Member:weatherglass
Title:These Happy Golden Years
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Info:Harper and Row (1971), Paperback, 289 pages
Tags:historical fiction, read, young adult/children's

These Happy Golden Years (Little House) by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1943)

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
I love this series!!! These are my favorites!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
Not one of my favorites of the series, but still very good. The story of Laura staying with an isolated family in which the woman seems to be severely depressed and hostile is powerful ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Timeless classic. Laura and Almanzo marry in this book and settle on his claim. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jun 24, 2018 |
“I will build a little house in the grove on the tree claim. It will have to be a little house. Do you mind?”
“I have always lived in little houses. I like them,” Laura answered.

Laura moves from home and begins her teaching career- at 15 years of age! And she gets engaged to Almanzo Wilder! And we all know how that usually turns out! :-)

This book is a cute one, as the courtship of Laura and Almanzo gradually plays out along many a buggy ride! It's been a long ride since the first book, and it's been interesting watching little Half Pint grow. I don't know what the last book will bring, but I think the end of this one is the way it should have ended:

"It's a wonderful night," Almanzo said.
"It is a beautiful world," Laura answered, and in memory she heard the voice of Pa's fiddle and the echo of a song,

"Golden years are passing by,
These happy, golden years."

Honestly, how could the series have ended any better? I'll guess I'll see... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 27, 2018 |
Strap in, folks. This might be a long one, since it's my favorite book in the series.

We begin our story once again in the cold winter of the Dakota Territories. Laura has received her teaching certificate and begins teaching school to keep Mary in college. She dreads teaching, she doesn't want to leave home, but she pulls herself up by her bootstraps and puts on a brave face. The school is 12 long, cold miles from home. She's staying with the school board president's family, run by his awful wife who hates it out West. It's a long two months in the freezing cold, and the only way she stays sane is because of the wonderful Almanzo Wilder. He drives out there, regardless of the weather, and brings her home to her family. Every. Single. Weekend. Through blizzards and awkward conversations. Almanzo must have really loved her, because she is ridiculous sometimes and tells him she won't ride with him after she is back home. What? Girl, you are crazy. But he's the best, and continues to make sure she gets home safely. I have a real thing for strapping young farm boys who are good with horses and very kind and brave. Almanzo is my jam.

And then she is home, and she conveniently forgets that she wasn't going to go around with him anymore. Apparently strapping young farm boys are her jam, too. Laura, no judgment. He's rad. And he apparently gets you, big time. Secret Christmas gifts, buggy rides, and appears to be a strong partner in crime. You get to drive the horses and race across the prairie together. You break wild horses and go to singing school together. And at the end, a sweet proposal and a kiss, leading to a quick marriage. Well, I say quick, but he courted her for three patient years, so nothing quick about that, folks. I mean, she was eighteen when they got hitched. And he builds her a kick-ass pantry so you know he loves her.

I'm 99% sure my husband is Almanzo Wilder reincarnated, and this book directly shaped the kind of man I am find attractive. 5 stars. Love this series! ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sunday afternoon was clear, and the snow-covered prairie sparkled in the sunshine.

Fifteen-year-old Laura lives apart from her family for the first time, teaching school in a claim shanty twelve miles from home. She is very homesick, but keeps at it so that she can help pay for her sister Mary's tuition at the college for the blind. During school vacations Laura has fun with her singing lessons, going on sleigh rides, and best of all, helping Almanzo Wilder drive his new buggy. Friendship soon turns to love for Laura and Almanzo in the romantic conclusion of this Little House book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

Laura has her first experiences as a teacher, and is courted by Almanzo Wilder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible