Unrest by Michelle Harrison

Elliott hasn't slept well since he almost died. He keeps seeing strange shadowy figures who seem to want something from him. He also seems to be travelling around without his body, something that freaks him out. His father and doctors dismiss what's he says is happening and he's starting to believe that he's going crazy.

He takes a job in a haunted museum, determined to discover the truth and meets Ophelia. She's attracted and intrigued. But things get strange when he comes back after a nights wandering and his body isn't where he left it.

It's not a bad read, Elliot is an interesting character and his terror comes across. Still a visit to a library or a bit more online research might have done a lot of good in helping him cope. Still he works hard at trying to come to terms with what's going on with him and does work out for himself what works. Could be interesting to see what happens next

Would like to read more by Michelle Harrison ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 7, 2012 |
I don’t read ghost stories on account of my being easily terrified by anything resembling a vengeful spirit. I decided to give Unrest a go for two reasons – it is written from a male perspective, which is rare enough in YA, and Elliott doesn’t hide from his connection to the spirit world, but goes and gets a job at a haunted museum. Talk about brave. I didn’t have the luxury to read the book in the daytime as I had initially intended, but it didn’t turn out to be half as terrifying as I expected. Yes, it’s creepy and there are a few disturbing scenes, but it’s no scarier than an average episode of Supernatural, and they’ve failed to scare me since season 3.

In a book such as this that deals with experiences like Elliott’s, I am analysing how those around the protagonist treat his/her experiences. I was glad that instead of dismissing Elliott’s visions, his family is both caring and supportive, which is a refreshing change. They aren’t sure if they believe him, but are genuinely concerned about him and are always there to help. Ophelia is my favourite character in the book because although Elliott’s strange behaviour creeps her out, she is still open and honest with him and tries to help in any way she can. Their relationship is realistic and sweet and grew slowly out of friendship, which I liked.

This book is really difficult to out down, which I attribute largely to its suspenseful plot. Unrest went in a completely different direction to what I had expected. This is good – reading the book was a journey full of unexpected twists and turns. Plot details are revealed fast enough to engage a reader but with every reveal there is something held back so that the anticipation builds up until the very end, when everything finally makes sense. This is the first book I have read written by Michelle Harrison and I am impressed by her writing style. She brings the spirit world to life, and it’s every bit as creepy and disturbing as you would expect.

Unrest is a spine-tingling, exciting story that I feel many people will enjoy. I have read a few reviews where the supernatural elements have put off potential readers, and I realise that although I didn’t find it particularly scary, other readers may. However, it’s a great read and I wish there was more to come!

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
1 vote alcarinqa | Jul 10, 2012 |
There were moments of dark, fairy terror in Michelle Harrison's 13 Treasures trilogy, but nothing so dark and genuinely scary as this. Really, truly, don't read some of the early chapters just before bed - not unless you enjoy inducing nightmares. It's seriously scary and utterly brilliant, and perfectly executed.
1 vote shepline | Jun 4, 2012 |

Seventeen-year-old Elliott hasn't slept properly for six months. Not since the accident that nearly killed him. Now he is afraid to go to sleep. Sometimes he wakes to find himself paralysed, unable to move a muscle, while shadowy figures move around him. Other times he is the one moving around, while his body lies asleep on the bed. According to his doctor, sleep paralysis and out of body experiences are harmless - but to Elliot they're terrifying. Convinced that his brush with death has opened up connections with the spirit world, Elliott secures a live-in job at one of England's most haunted locations, determined to find out the truth. There he finds Sebastian, the ghost of a long-dead servant boy hanged for stealing bread. He also meets the living, breathing Ophelia, a girl with secrets of her own. She and Elliott grow closer, but things take a terrifying turn when Elliott discovers Sebastian is occupying his body when he leaves it. And the more time Sebastian spends inhabiting a living body, the more resistant he becomes to giving it back. Worse, he seems to have an unhealthy interest in Ophelia. Unless Elliott can lay Sebastian's spirit to rest, he risks being possessed by him for ever, and losing the girl of his dreams.… (more)

Michelle Harrison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,554,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible