The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (edition 2012)

by Deb Perelman

Member:woodsathome
Title:The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Authors:Deb Perelman
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:home, non-fiction, cooking

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman

This cookbook is based on the Smitten Kitchen blog, which everyone with even a passing interest in cooking or baking should take a look at.

I want to make EVERY meal in this cookbook. So far though, I've only managed one: the brown butter rice crispie cakes. Hoping to try the brioches soon, and I dream of a day I'm confident enough to try making the marshmallow cake, which seems to be a book exclusive recipe.

Smitten Kitchen leans very strongly towards sweet meals (the breakfast section includes muffins, brioches and pancakes), and I find the sweet meals are usually its strong point, but it also has quite a nice selection of vegetarian meals. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
I admire Deb Perelman for being a self-taught cook, and for doing her awesome recipes in a tiny kitchen. She's an inspiration for urban cooks, and her cauliflower pesto was amazing. How are people this creative? I never could have dreamed up cauliflower pesto. ( )
  lisan. | Oct 4, 2013 |
I like to putter in the kitchen. I also like to putter on the computer. And thus, I found the Smitten Kitchen blog. It has been a favorite place to visit since the early days of the blog. Deb's perspective on life, small NYC kitchens, motherhood, and above all good food prepared with good ingredients is wonderful. Even though I've read the blog for years, and cooked many a meal either based on or inspired by one of her posts, and had many of her recipes in my overflowing file and cooking repertoire, and even though we're giving away, selling, donating possessions by the gazillion, when this book came out, I HAD to buy it. The recipes are great, the photographs gorgeous. It is a good book for the inexperienced cook to learn to branch out, and a good book from the experienced cook to cull new ideas and inspirations. Thank you, Deb. Here's to many more years of eating, reading, cooking, and delight. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 11, 2013 |
Love the blog, love the cookbook! Lots of things I want to make in here! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Just like the blog--a wide range of interesting recipes that are well tested, well described, and beautifully photographed. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Jan 8, 2013 |
For Jacob Henry, the best thing I ever baked
Welcome. Welcome to my tiny kitchen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030759565X, Hardcover)

Amazon Asks: Deb Perelman

Mary C. Neal

Q. What's your elevator pitch for The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook? (Or what inspired you to fill this niche?)

A. My hope is that The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is filled with your new favorite things to cook--approachable recipes made with accessible ingredients that exceed your expectations.

Q. Which upcoming fall cookbooks are you most excited about?

A. I am ridiculously excited about Ottolenghi's new Jerusalem book, as I've loved everything he's made so far. I have already tried out a couple recipes from the Mile End Cookbook, and can tell it's going to be an obsession all winter. I just spied brown butter snickerdoodles in the new Baked Elements book; I am pretty sure that needs to happen immediately. And I've been cooking out of the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook and everything has been fresh, wholesome and stunning.

Q. What's on your nightstand? Your Kindle?

A. An Everlasting Meal (Tamar Adler), The Tenth Muse (Judith Jones), A Peace To End All Peace (David Fromkin) and I Want My Hat Back (Jon Klassen), all print. Can you guess which one my toddler left there?

Q. What’s your favorite restaurant—or the best place you’ve eaten recently?

A. My husband and I are the last people to get to The Breslin in the Ace Hotel, but it doesn't matter, we fell head over heels and have been back three times in three months. The crispy boiled peanuts, lamb burger, fresh, crunchy salads and their grapefruit gin-and-tonic are unforgettable.

Q. What's been your most memorable moment so far as an author (or blogger)?

A. The process of planning the book tour -- making the jump from someone who types things to strangers who might or might not be listening via her laptop to someone who is going to show up in various cities at specific times to hang out with these strangers -- is wild. I am not sure I've gotten my head around it yet, but I still can't wait to get on the road.

Q. What other talent would you most like to have (not including flight or invisibility)?

A. Well, I wish I could dance.

Q. What are you obsessed with now?

A. I've been on a running kick, although I'm really bad at it. No really: terrible. But strangely, that's my favorite part. Starting my day completely humbled by my inability to run half as long or fast as these people on the other treadmills (who can probably dance, too), well, the day only gets better from there. I'm hooked.

Q. What's next for you?

A. The moon! Just kidding. I really hope to just keep doing what I'm doing -- cooking, writing, having fun with my family and running around NYC like a tourist. My goals are less rooted in a desire for a designer kitchen (though, you know, if you have one lying around...) and balcony overlooking Central Park and more a hope that I'll keep having fun doing what I do, so that it feels as un-work-like as possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:52 -0400)

"The long-awaited cookbook from the food blogging phenom, Deb Perelman -- home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated author of SmittenKitchen.com." --

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,154,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible