The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (edition 2012)

by Deb Perelman

Member:nicole_a_davis
Title:The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
Authors:Deb Perelman
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:cookbook, food

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman

big cluster maple granola, p.26, quite good. The bombastic style lowered trust, but the granola, though not vastly better than store bought, was better than major brands.
  DromJohn | Apr 4, 2016 |
I love to read lushly illustrated cookbooks -- the background about foods and techniques, the feeling of preparing (and nearly tasting!) it from my armchair. This is a terrific book in the genre, created by a woman who blogs about cooking well in her tiny Manhattan kitchen. Of the 100+ recipes, I marked 14 that have a solid chance of getting prepared in my own tiny kitchen. ( )
  DetailMuse | Mar 3, 2016 |
I wouldn't ordinarily review a cookbook on goodreads, since generally they're collections of ingredients and instructions, and what really matters is how well the recipes work. But this cookbook is so beautifully put together that I had to acknowledge it. Because yes, the recipes are fabulous--full of vegetables, not fussy but fancy enough for a dinner party, with recipes that will satisfy omnivores to vegans. And every single recipe I've tried has turned out fabulously. All this would be enough to recommend it, but each recipe also has gorgeous color photos and a few paragraphs from Perelman, describing how she came up with the dish and why she likes it so much. It combines to be so enticing that every time I open this book, I end up actually cooking something. Coming from someone like me, whose usual dinner is Trader Joes chili and cookies, that's a real sign of success! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This is the cookbook that my cookbook club is currently using, thus I have tasted many of the recipes in the book, as well as cooking a few. All that I have tired have been great. Of the ones that I have tried, I would say that the recipes are accessible to cooks of most levels. There is a great variety and the recipes allow for variations which is handy when one tries to cook what is in season.
Pereleman's chatty introductions as fun without seeming cloying. Great cookbook. ( )
1 vote lucybrown | Jun 10, 2015 |
A great cook book with beautiful pictures. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
For Jacob Henry, the best thing I ever baked
Welcome. Welcome to my tiny kitchen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030759565X, Hardcover)

Amazon Asks: Deb Perelman

Mary C. Neal

Q. What's your elevator pitch for The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook? (Or what inspired you to fill this niche?)

A. My hope is that The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is filled with your new favorite things to cook--approachable recipes made with accessible ingredients that exceed your expectations.

Q. Which upcoming fall cookbooks are you most excited about?

A. I am ridiculously excited about Ottolenghi's new Jerusalem book, as I've loved everything he's made so far. I have already tried out a couple recipes from the Mile End Cookbook, and can tell it's going to be an obsession all winter. I just spied brown butter snickerdoodles in the new Baked Elements book; I am pretty sure that needs to happen immediately. And I've been cooking out of the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook and everything has been fresh, wholesome and stunning.

Q. What's on your nightstand? Your Kindle?

A. An Everlasting Meal (Tamar Adler), The Tenth Muse (Judith Jones), A Peace To End All Peace (David Fromkin) and I Want My Hat Back (Jon Klassen), all print. Can you guess which one my toddler left there?

Q. What’s your favorite restaurant—or the best place you’ve eaten recently?

A. My husband and I are the last people to get to The Breslin in the Ace Hotel, but it doesn't matter, we fell head over heels and have been back three times in three months. The crispy boiled peanuts, lamb burger, fresh, crunchy salads and their grapefruit gin-and-tonic are unforgettable.

Q. What's been your most memorable moment so far as an author (or blogger)?

A. The process of planning the book tour -- making the jump from someone who types things to strangers who might or might not be listening via her laptop to someone who is going to show up in various cities at specific times to hang out with these strangers -- is wild. I am not sure I've gotten my head around it yet, but I still can't wait to get on the road.

Q. What other talent would you most like to have (not including flight or invisibility)?

A. Well, I wish I could dance.

Q. What are you obsessed with now?

A. I've been on a running kick, although I'm really bad at it. No really: terrible. But strangely, that's my favorite part. Starting my day completely humbled by my inability to run half as long or fast as these people on the other treadmills (who can probably dance, too), well, the day only gets better from there. I'm hooked.

Q. What's next for you?

A. The moon! Just kidding. I really hope to just keep doing what I'm doing -- cooking, writing, having fun with my family and running around NYC like a tourist. My goals are less rooted in a desire for a designer kitchen (though, you know, if you have one lying around...) and balcony overlooking Central Park and more a hope that I'll keep having fun doing what I do, so that it feels as un-work-like as possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:57 -0400)

"The long-awaited cookbook from the food blogging phenom, Deb Perelman -- home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated author of SmittenKitchen.com." --

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible