Into the End by Bonnie R. Paulson

Into the End (edition 2012)

by Bonnie R. Paulson

Rating:***1/2

Into the End by Bonnie R. Paulson

Recently added byJustjenniferreading, HeatherMS

No tags.

Despite my love of all things zombie or apocalypse I'm not a "doomsday" kind of person. The subjects make for good stories, but that's where my love affair ends. This one was one of the better end of the world stories I've come across.

The story starts out right in the middle of the action - weather is causing catastrophes all across the country and then an attack happens. It's so fast paced at the beginning of the story that the slight (and I mean slight) lull in the action gave my brain time to processes everything that had gone on. I was on edge through the whole story almost as if I was the one in immediate danger - this one really got my adrenaline pumping.

In addition to the fear there were so many emotions in this book. The pain of loss, the relief of being safe and alive, the anger at what is going on, and then there's confusion as to what emotion would be appropriate. I don't know how I would react if my life were changed so drastically, but I would imagine that it would be very similar to all of the character's reactions at some point.

While the story doesn't stay with one narrator the main character in the story would have to Rachel. She's the connecting force for so many of the characters. Even though I got a good sense of who she was, there was definitely a secret that she's keeping from everyone. Even at the end when a slight clue is revealed as to what she had been a part of in the end I can't wait to read the other two in the series to find out just how she ties into the attacks on America.

Even though at the end of the story we still don't really know who is attacking America but I have to say that my original thought is probably way off. I guess there's still a chance but I don't think my far out predictions are going to be right.

There are lots of questions left at the end of the book. But I think the way the story was ended was genius - it left enough open to make me want to read the next book without leaving me upset about a lack of closure.

I think this one book can stand on it's own - with a slightly different ending - but I have a feeling that the rest of the series is going to add on to make an amazingly intense story. I really have not been this excited to read a series ever. It's just amazing!

I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for a review. This review is my truthful honest opinion. ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Jun 17, 2013 |
“Into the End” by Bonnie R. Paulson is an interesting look at what would happen if America was invaded. America has been suffering from natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes, but now it finds itself being bombed and invaded and they are not sure who is doing the invading.

I liked this book. We follow along with Rachel Parker and her family as they flee to hidden mountain getaway after the first round of air raids. Her husband, Andy, was a survivalist and made sure that their place in the Rocky Mountains had the means to help them survive should the worst happen. Along the way we meet an amateur ham radio boy, the girl he likes, and Rachel’s sister.

We never learn in the book who is attacking and why. Rachel also has some past history working on secret tests about fear. She was traumatized when she returned from those testing trails and wouldn’t talk about what happened. The reader is left wondering if Rachel’s testing may have helped the invaders plan their attack.

I will admit that I felt a little let down when the book ended because it left so many questions unanswered. I guess that is what the sequel is for.

**This book was received for free through Goodreads First Reads. That in no way influenced my review.** ( )
  HeatherMS | Apr 27, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible