Prepare by Geoffrey Germann

Member:BrokeBookBank
Title:Prepare
Authors:Geoffrey Germann
Info:Self (2012), Paperback, 314 pages
Tags:first reads, free, sci-fi, action

Prepare by Geoffrey Germann

Darren Kiel is on a mission to make sure justice is served. With his incredible technological savy he helps develop a suit which allows him to step in where the police have failed - to protect the Orchid. He risks his life to protect those who cannot protect themselves and to make up for the sins of his father.

He creates a break in the crime to allow the good citizens of an area to start taking hold of their city.

The story has an exciting plot and is action packed. The characters are well developed and original. This book is a must-read!

Disclosure: I received a free copy of the novel from the author. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
I was offered a free copy of this book because I signed up for the Goodreads Giveaway.

I was apprehensive about this book since it's a superhero kind of story and I don't usually care much for superheroes. It reminded me a lot of Batman. I thoroughly enjoyed this book though. There was plenty of action and the main character was very interesting. A little romance, some tragedy, and just overall a very well put together story. I'm thankful I was given this opportunity. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 1, 2013 |
Like many readers I received this book directly from the author after I failed to win a drawing for a free copy. Mr. Germann was nice enough to contact me directly and send me a copy at his own expense. Despite his generosity, I set out to read his book with a candid and critical eye.

Overall the book seems reasonably professional despite a few foibles of typography. The author's style though seems split between the preparatory phases of his novel and the more climactic ones. For the first half of the book the style is solid though undistinguished. He paints a cohesive, though at times overly brief picture of his characters that leaves the reader with a good conceptual and sympathetic image. It is during this phase too that we see the author's tendency towards paired similes; no sooner is one found then it can be guaranteed that another will soon follow. In many cases the comparisons seem forced and inappropriate but a few border on brilliance.

When the climax of the novel begins Germann's tone shifts substantially and he provides a much more skillful and less tentative product. The author's portrayal of action sequences is immaculate and at times breathtaking. While the first pages stumble a bit the last half of the text veritably flies past.

The story itself is cut from the cloth of the "man become superman" motif via innovation in technology. Generally speaking such ideas are nothing new but Germann does provide us with a fresh take on the idea and does present us with a deeper question of just what the word justice means and how that differs from society's enforcement of it. 'Prepare' is entertaining, at least mildly-thought provoking and well worth the few hours it takes to read it. I look forward to Germann's future contributions to the genre.

Going beyond the inner contents I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the book's packaging. Germann's novel is a dozen times better than its external appearance and since the cover is such a decided driver of sales I think it would be a shame if his work suffered in popularity for such a trite reason. The title too completely fails to inspire and puts one more in the mindset of a Christian rapture novel than hard-boiled crime noir. It is my hope that readers will be able to look past these two significant shortcomings and give the book a chance. ( )
  slavenrm | Mar 7, 2013 |
I was given a free copy from the author in order to give a rating and a review.

TL;DR Summary.

I loved it. There are minor issues like the cover, the blurb and some things left out that I want filled in during the next book but honestly, they don't detract much or at all. True, the book didn't get much in depth with characters, but it is the first book, it is more action centered and there's at least some involvement. It makes sense, for what we have. It did jump right into things, but I think it jumped too quickly. I wanted to know what happened but it was a struggle to get through the first bit since I had no idea what was really going on. The science read as believable, but I'm a layman, all the big fancy words convinced me. Ask a scientist how well done that part was. It was grounded in enough realism to get the job done, didn't distract from the story and it was indeed, readable and believable enough to continue reading. The author uses similes a lot, which is fine, and they are usually well done. However, there did come a point where I noticed how often "like" got used.

Of course, those are all minor things. I think the story, the action, the twists, and the characters were well done. It was a fun, fast enjoyable ride. Once I got into the book, I didn't want to put it down. I definitely recommend this book, especially for sci-fi and superhero fans. I'm thoroughly looking forward to reading the sequel.
----------
----------
The first 50,60 or so pages dragged for me. It starts off pure action but it was hard to get involved into. Maybe it was that I didn't have any background information. Maybe it wasn't an emotional grab for me because it read like a scientific report. Things were detailed and described but it was mostly emotionless, due to everyone being in shock or disbelieving. It really read as disconnected as the store clerk felt. Now, I still wanted to read it to find out what happened and to finish it, but it wasn't an impressive start for me. It then loosened up a bit, gave us more meat instead of energy drink action and I got hooked.

The Chief of Police VS the Steps, which is the beginning of Chapter 5, is an awesome, well done passage for a character. His description, history and who he is now really comes through superbly. Love that part. It keep rolling with Daniel and Adam in the training area, which I wish they had shown more of. It was funny, touching, made you feel their connection to each other and made you feel connected to them. Daniel's failings were with planning, something he's suppose to be good at but since this is a new endeavor he's missing key things. It was nice to see the growth of Daniel in this aspect. It seems too good to be true how quickly Daniel picks things up, trains his reflexes and moves quickly with the buttons.We kept being told how much training he did, but it would have been really nice to see more of it. It would help with making Daniel more real, more down to earth, get to know him better, explore his relationship with Adam more and get to know Adam better. Which would have also helped making the ending of Daniel's partnership with Adam more emotionally impacting.

For the end, I actually liked it. I get why some people had a problem with it but honestly, I liked the idea. It felt a bit James Bondish, a bit Heath Ledger Jokerish, a bit Unbreakable, and my favorite, a bit Criminal Minds in reverse. It was grand and added more to the story than just Batman/Ironman, and it also sets it up for more additions later on. It also is quite honestly one of the reasons why people love comic books, the wonder of "Could I be that good? Would I make that choice?". We rejoice the actions of heroes and applaud the downfall of villains, while seeing ourselves in the panels, while daydreaming of what could make us super, what choices we'd make and the good we would do.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading the sequel. I can see possibilities of where it's going and possible fill ins for things not included, possibilities for growth and possibilities for greater character development.

Hopefully, we get to see more of the mysterious woman that popped in and out to help save the day. Here's the thing about that. I like comic books. I want to read comic books. However, I cannot due to the sexism. I really can't stand it. Instead of making it enjoyable, it becomes a miserable reminder of a woman's place in society. I really really hope we see more this mysterious woman and that G.Germann doesn't let me down in the sexism department. As much as I love this book and want to read more from this author, if women are given the same treatment as in comic books, I will be miserable. It would be so disappointing. Please, Mr. Germann, I hope you or someone close to you has this in mind. Comics have driven a lot of women out due to this issue and I'd hate for that to happen with this awesome series.

I must say though, please, please, work on your cover and blurb. I get what you were trying to go for with the cover but I think it fell flat. Yeah, you can't judge a book by it's cover, (this book is better than it looks), but at the same time, a book cover is a person's first impression of a book. And you know what they say about first impressions.

I also think the blurb was off the mark. I think it gave away a part of Daniel before it was necessary. I think it would have been better to discover his past through the book, instead of reading the blurb and waiting for that shoe to drop all the way up to the half way point. ( )
  BrokeBookBank | Nov 25, 2012 |
The author sent me this book at his own expense when I didn't win it in a contest on goodreads.I think he was rightfully proud of his book and wanted it to get a wider audience. It is a super hero book in which the "hero" is aided by a lot of high tech equipment. It reads like an adult graphic novel without the graphics. When I read it I just felt happy. Bad guys are dealt with and the intrepid hero gets out of all his scrapes but its all done with creativity and written with a tongue is cheek joy that makes you want to read on. The only negative for me was although the ":hero" seems to like the other characters there is very feeling that he even cares that much for them even what seems to be the "love interest" in the book. The book is pretty PG in its approach to things. All in all a very nice debut novel from an author that looks to be around for a long time. ( )
  muddyboy | Nov 5, 2012 |
To Kana, an oasis of serenity and reason in an all-too-often chaotic and irrational world. Thank you for the gifts you've brought to my life, in particular, the most recent. :)
He had taken the bell off the door the first week.

As a small boy, Darren Kiel was witness to his father's corruption and contemptible misconduct. As he grew, that experience gave rise to a seething need to atone for his father's crimes, to set the world aright, to enforce order. Now an adult, Darren is thrust into a world far more horrific than he could ever have imagined: The Orchard, a region inundated by crime, violence, poverty, decay, and desperation. With swelling intolerance, hardening resolve, and miraculous technology, Darren sets upon an obsessive crusade to correct what has gone wrong in this society's machine. As the campaign escalates, Darren sees the violence spread to every corner of his life and threaten or destroy everything he's worked for and everyone he holds dear. But is this truly Darren's war or is all this just a small part of a much larger design that he is only now beginning to glimpse?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:17 -0400)

3 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible