Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

Is It Just Me? (edition 2012)

by Miranda Hart

Member:apachecat
Title:Is It Just Me?
Authors:Miranda Hart
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Audio Books

Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

Having recently finished the Fry Chronicles narrated by Stephen Fry (which I really enjoyed) I thought I had my niche for audiobooks. Funny, self-narrated memoirs with witty British humour.

After searching through Audible I figured Miranda Hart ticked all the boxes of quirky, awkward and funny. The first few chapters of this book were brilliant, I literally was laughing out loud at some of the awkward situations she got herself into. Sure, it was a bit silly but good light entertainment. There were a few things I wasn't so fond of, namely the high-pitched 18 year old Miranda and the continuous lists but they were a minor problem.

However, my view of this book took a turn for the worse on the 'Technology' chapter which seemed to go on and on and on as Miranda explains to her younger self every piece of technology that has emerged since the nineties. This is punctuated by exclamations of 'amazeballs' and 'horrifico' etc which quickly begin to grate on the ear.

Unfortunately once the tide had turned all these little things started to drive me to insanity to the point where my smartphone was in genuine danger of becoming an innocent victim smashed on the road. Despite the promising start this book descended into the tired, well-trodden paths of female health, beauty and relationships. Not a great move from my perspective but I figured I'd run with it. The thing I had loved about Stephen Fry's book was the sheer honesty and insight into his character. Here, Miranda does have some funny real life stories but she gets so caught up in exaggerated imaginings around these stories that it ruins the 'oh I've done the same, I know how you feel' aspect. This results in this being as much fiction as non-fiction and her portraying a character version of herself. It was a real pity as she probably has some interesting stories.

Miranda also massively overuses the type of comedy where you just pick random words out of the sky and string them into a sentence. She succeeded on many occasions (i.e. I laughed as she described her body as like a sack full of offal, kicked down an elevator shaft into a pool of water) and some of the images are funny. However, these get a bit overdone and feel a bit forced. She goes too far into the realm of make believe and the story loses its link to real life.

Needless to say I was pretty relieved to finish this audiobook. I reckon she would be pretty funny and interesting in real life but unfortunately we had to settle for a character in this audiobook. ( )
  bkmeredith | Oct 23, 2014 |
Miranda is the type of comedian you either love or hate. Fortunately I love her - she had me laughing out loud lots of times, which is rare (for me). Her humour isn't subtle, or clever or even especially witty. It's just straight out funny. I think part of it's her voice which, even saying "is it just me?" which obviously she does a number of times, has me wanting to say no, I feel just the same!" I listened to this as an audio book, which she narrates, so got the benefit of her voice both auditorily and literarily so to speak. She's just a very funny person, but one you feel you'd love to have as a friend as well. ( )
  Anne_Green | Aug 18, 2014 |
A very funny easy read. Miranda Hart held my interest until the end with her sense of humor. ( )
  pennmaniac | Mar 26, 2014 |
Such fun! ( )
  Alirob | Dec 8, 2013 |
The comedian is in conversation with her 18-year-old self on topics such as music, hobbies, office life, beauty. Christmas, etc. I like her sense of humour. ( )
  reader68 | Dec 4, 2013 |

Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence? Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me? I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path. Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

In 'Is it Just Me?', Britain's best loved comedienne, Miranda Hart, laments on the horrors of growing up and offers her younger self some essential advice on grappling with life's unexpected perils and blunders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,025,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible