Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

Is It Just Me? (edition 2012)

by Miranda Hart

Member:apachecat
Title:Is It Just Me?
Authors:Miranda Hart
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Audio Books

Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart

MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Miranda Hart, I have learned only very recently, is a British comedian, not just my beloved Chummy on Call the Midwife. I had no idea. And I've forgotten now how I came across this book, but there it was available on audible, so on I listened. It is hilarious (or hil-air, as Hart might say). She talks very little about her career, but rather about life in general, and the theme is all those little things that happen to people but that no one ever tells you how to deal with (think, oh, giant piece of toilet paper following you out of the restroom as it's attached to your shoe, that sort of thing). Hart has a very upper-middle-class sort of received British accent, and she uses it to great effect in the comedy here. The book is so funny, both in its content and in its presentation, that I spent the thing laughing out loud. People behind me at traffic lights (I was listening in the car, mostly) probably thought I was having some sort of fit. Nestled in among all the jolity are some nice little nuggets of wisdom and encouragement as well. Highly recommended, but do get the audio. I think you'd be missing half the fun if you read it. ( )
  lycomayflower | May 31, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book more, I love Miranda Hart on TV. It started out so well, lots of punchy anecdotes. But that was it and nothing really developed. It was a total shame as you could hear the "voice" well but the direction was not really there. Good fun but definitely a "dip-in/dip-out" book which took a lot longer to finish than I expected. I also felt as someone not raised in England it was difficult to relate to some of the references which were left totally unexplained (on the other hand being a tall 39 year old woman a lot of the references were very very familiar). If you don't have a "hook" into this one I think it might be hard going. I would be careful to recommend it to those who are already fans. ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
OK, but probably better listening to the audio version than reading it. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Amazingly fun, light read. Pretty much what I imagine myself being like at 38. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |

Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence? Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me? I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path. Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

In 'Is it Just Me?', Britain's best loved comedienne, Miranda Hart, laments on the horrors of growing up and offers her younger self some essential advice on grappling with life's unexpected perils and blunders.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,324,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible