Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious…

Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses (1996)

by Ricki Carroll

I haven't made my own cheese. Yet. But as a cheese-eater and a part-time cheesemonger, this book has really helped my understanding of cheese. Each chapter opens with an overview which details scientific and historic details for a particular type of cheese. This book is excellent at explaining how cheese is made. A warning to people who long to jump right in, most of the recipes require specific cultures, bacterias, rennets or starters ... you won't be able to make them with what you have on hand. ( )
  flemmily | May 9, 2010 |
The best. This book started me on a new phase of my life! I now enjoy planning which cheese I will be making during my free time. ( )
  katet | Apr 3, 2009 |
This is THE book on home cheese making. I've looked around for others, but most of them are outdated and require large amounts of milk. Mentioned in "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." ( )
  ShawnMarie | Dec 25, 2008 |
Great book. I have made the mozzerella and just ordered cultures to make cream cheese plus a couple of other soft cheeses. Cheesemaking is great fun - like a science experiment.
  Lindytoo | Jul 21, 2008 |
My wife has made numerous fabulous cheeses using this book, which has become the dominant reference for this purpose in our kitchen. Very good. ( )
  ztutz | Jul 1, 2008 |
Those of us who remember our first attempts at bread making look back with an indulgent smile upon the bowl of sticky, disobedient dough that clung to everything it touched and defied our inexperienced hands at every turn.

The classic home cheese making primer has been updated and revised to reflect the increased interest in artisanal-quality cheeses and the availability of cheese making supplies and equipment. ~Here are 85 recipes for cheeses and other dairy products that require basic cheese making techniques and the freshest of ingredients, offering the satisfaction of turning out a coveted delicacy. Among the step-by-step tested recipes for cheese varieties are farmhouse cheddar, gouda, fromage blanc, queso blanco, marscarpone, ricotta, and 30-minute mozzarella. Recipes for dairy products include crFme frafche, sour cream, yogurt, keifer, buttermilk, and clotted cream. There are also 60 recipes for cooking with cheese, including such treats as Ricotta Pancakes with Banana Pecan Syrup, Cream Cheese Muffins, Broiled Pears and Vermont Shepherd Cheese, Prosciutto and Cheese Calzones, and Grilled Vegetable Stacks with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Profiles of home cheese makers and artisan cheese makers scattered throughout the text share the stories of people who love to make and eat good cheese. Plus information on how to enjoy homemade cheeses, how to serve a cheese course at home, cheese tips, lore, quotes, cheese making glossary, and more. .… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible