I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other…

I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories [King Looie Katz/The Glunk…

by Dr. Seuss

This lesser known Dr. Seuss title contains three short stories: "I Can Like 30 Tigers Today!," "King Looie Katz," and "The Glunk That Got Thunk." I enjoyed all three stories, as did my babysitting charges, who wanted to hear this book several times over.

"I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today" features what appears to be the Cat in the Hat character thinking he can take on 30 tigers but slowly reducing the number out of 'consideration' for the tigers, until he's left with only one. The story is definitely a lot of fun and the repeating language of the diminishing number of tigers has a nice cadence for reading aloud. The language is fairly simple enough in this story for emerging readers to tackle on their own as well.

"King Looie Katz" is about a cat king who wants his washed and coiffed tail to be carried around for him by another cat, leading to an absurd situation in which every subsequent cat demands that their tail be held by another so it won't touch the ground. This ridiculous situation is also entertaining to little kids, but it might be a bit harder for younger children to read on their own. Luckily, it also has a good cadence for readalouds, although you might find your tongue tripping on all the Chooies, Kooies, and similarly named cats. The story contains oblique references to the French Revolution, which is a little odd but I found this to be a clever Easter egg personally. Kids, however, won't notice this at all unless you point it out and feel prepared to explain this moment in history to them.

"The Glunk That Got Thunk" returns to the Cat in the Hat character but focuses more on his sister who likes to sit up in her room and use her imagination to think up all kinds of things. One day she thinks extra hard and a wild creature called a Glunk appears from her thoughts and refuses to go away, causing chaos. This story is particularly funny to read aloud as you can do interesting voices for the sister and especially the Glunk. The text also seems the most typically Seussical, with rhyming text and silly made-up words thrown in with abandon. I like how it's an ode to the power of imagination, even the ability to come up with something scary at times. One of my babysitting charges who is a bit more skitterish did say that this story was a little creepy, but he did still like it and wanted to hear it more than once.

All in all, this is a book I would definitely recommend as silly and thereby engrossing to young children, especially as a readaloud book. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 27, 2014 |
Children really enjoy this book! The three stories in the book are all very entertaining! They are each however very different! The children I read it to seemed to enjoy the "Kat" story the most. This is a great book!

britny89 | Mar 22, 2010 |
Grade Level:3
This Dr. Suess book has 3 different stories in one book. The first story deals with tigers and how he thinks he can lick 30 tigers in a day but each time he runs into a pack of tigers he lowers the number because he gets scared and tells them to go away. When he finally only has one tiger left he says its midafternoon and he needs to eat and runs away. In this story every two pages says the same thing so children are reading the same text over and over. In the second story, King Looie Katz, it deals with a king who is a cat and has someone hold his tail up, at the end of the story all cats have their tails held except for Zooie. He finally has enough and throws down the tail infront of him. Then every cat begins to hold their own tails. This is good to teach the /ooie/ sound because all the names have that sound. The finally story is, The Glunk that got Thunk, you could teach the /unk/ sound with this story. It is also very repeadtive and uses a lot of the same sounds.
A great website to use is http://edhelper.com/DrSeuss.htm
  agwood | Oct 21, 2009 |
This is another example of a short chapter book that children will be very proud of completing. This book is comprised of three stories. I really think that children will enjoy this book. It encourages creativity and isn't as hard to read as some Dr. Seuss books. ( )
  jalann | Oct 20, 2009 |
I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today is a fun book. I think that it would be great for a reader who is still learning. The pictures are good and like other Dr.Seuss books rhymes throughout the story. ( )
  mjhartley | Sep 14, 2009 |
also includes: King Looie Katz -- The Glunk that got thunk

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039480094X, Hardcover)

The Cat in the Hat tells us three zany stories-in-verse about his son, his daughter, and his great-great-grandfather.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:21 -0400)

Three stories in verse: "I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today," "King Looie Katz, " and "The Glunk That Got Thunk."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible