Mrs Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn

Mrs Queen Takes the Train (edition 2012)

by William Kuhn

Member:birdsam0610
Title:Mrs Queen Takes the Train
Authors:William Kuhn
Info:Harper (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, england, queen, monarchy, friendship

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn

English (43)  Catalan (1)  All (44)
A slightly amusing albeit very predictable book about the fictonal "Queen Elizabeth II," who takes a public train to Scotland. Great quote from the book, "The Queen would rather give Putin a pedicure than go to a rock concert!" ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Nov 22, 2016 |
This was a nice little fluff piece of humour, readable in an afternoon. While it has been compared to An Uncommon Reader (both novels have Queen Elizabeth as a main character), it's not quite as good, in my opinion, perhaps because it takes on too many subplots. Caught in the rain after visiting her favorite horse, the queen borrows a hoodie from Rebecca, a young woman working in the mews, and tries to make a dash for the palace. One of the guards she encounters doesn't recognize her and puts her outside of the gate. And so her adventure begins. She decides to visit a shop to purchase some of the cheddar cheese that her horse relishes, and Rajiv, the clerk recognizes her but doesn't let on. Concerned about her safety, he accompanies her to the train station and surreptitiously follows her as she decides it would be nice to take a train up to Scotland to visit the former royal yacht, now a tourist attraction. In addition to Rajiv, a cadre of employees is also in search of the queen. Rebecca, on whom Rajiv has a crush, joins him on the train; their budding romance is one of the novel's secondary plots. Lady Anne, a lady-in-waiting and longtime friend of the queen, joins unlikely forces with one of the queen's dressers, Shirley MacDonald, who suspects that the queen may have gone to Scotland. William de Morgan, senior Butler, and Luke Thomason, Equerry, also enter the fray; their also becomes a love story of sorts. During her journey, the Queen displays a surprising naiveté about the lives of the ordinary citizens she encounters, and she comes across as quite charming. Imagine the queen in a stained hoodie with a skull and crossbones on the back, being mistaken for Helen Mirren by her neighbors on a train and you'll have a pretty good idea of the flavor of this book. There's nothing very serious going on here, but it made for a fun afternoon. ( )
  Cariola | Sep 8, 2016 |
Aww. If only the queen were as sweet and cute as this books makes her out to be.

Of the converging story lines in this book, I was *completely uninterested* in one. I read the first two or three sections of their story, then started skimming before outright skipping over them. I'd just see their names and go, yup, skip that... and right on to the next section.

Overall, it was a cute story with some annoyances thrown in to keep me on my toes, I'm sure. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
No idea how this got on my list - must've been confusion.  I have no interest in Downtown Abbey, not an Anglophile, not impressed by the glamor of royalty, not interested in the home lives of celebrities....  I did manage to get to p. 44, to try to see what might be here besides that crap, but found no hints of anything.  Well, ok, Mrs. Queen does a bit of yoga and likes the Warrior pose.  Right...
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I'm afraid I was immune to the charm of this. It started out well enough but then just petered out, not having much to say and not saying it very well. I did read The Uncommon Reader for bookclub and found both the obvious comparison and then ham-fisted actual one only emphasized how Bennet's novella was subtle and this was not.
  amyem58 | May 30, 2016 |
Kuhn has pulled off an entertaining ride inside the head of the Queen, enabling us to see her as she really is.

William Kuhnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Fritz Kuhn
Several years ago, on a dark afternoon in December, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, and Her Other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth of Nations, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy sat at her desk, frowning at a computer screen.

After decades of service and years of watching her family's troubles splashed across the tabloids, Britain's Queen is beginning to feel her age. An unexpected opportunity offers her relief: an impromptu visit to a place that holds happy memories-- the former royal yacht, Britannia, now moored near Edinburgh. When her royal attendants discovers she is missing, they set out to find her and bring her back before her absence becomes a national scandal.… (more)

William Kuhn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible