Assault on Juno by Mark Zuehlke

Assault on Juno

by Mark Zuehlke

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
excellent read if you are not looking for the little detail but the overall pictures. ( )
  watline | Sep 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
“Assault on Juno” by Mark Suchlike is the author's second popular history work from Ora Publishing’s Rapid Reads Series. And a rapid read it is. I was able too read this book in less than two hours and yet it held my attention. The author covers the first day of the Canadian military offensive on Juno Beach, D-Day. This was part of the largest military amphibious assault in history and Juno Beach was the second hardest contested front after only what the American forces faced on Omaha Beach. These Canadian units fought hard and their story of trial by fire can be envisioned by this short work. The book contains two maps; one of the overall D-Day invasion and the other of the 3d Canadian Infantry Divisions D-Day Operations. Plus eight pages of war photographs of beach landings and the advance. This is a work I would consider for young readers and those who are just starting their foray into military history. This is not a book for the serious military historian. A perfect book for a young adult Speed reading class. ( )
  hermit | Sep 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recieved this book as an Early Riviewer, and have never read a rapid read before. As a history buff, I was expecting a very thoroughly researched book, crammed with detail. I suspect the author was limited in the format, and this seemed to be an "abridged" version of a scholarly wotk, better suited for young adult readers. I was dissapointed that it was a "light read" and not in line with other historical works I have read....Not having read much about the Canadians involvement in the assault, I was left wanting more.
Cannot recommend for the serious history reader. Again, I suspect this is due to the format, and not the author, since he is billed as one of Canada's leading historians. ( )
  rexmedford | Sep 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received Assault on Juno as part of the Early Reviewers program. I'm a long-time military history reader, including dozens of WWII books. AoJ is in the Rapid Reads series, and I think that was the cause of the discomfort I felt while reading the book.

The overall narrative is ok, if a bit colorless. Details of the Canadian Army's assault on Juno Beach are reasonable, given the overall size of the book, and a few anecdotal personal stories are peppered throughout.

However, the subject did not lend itself well to the Rapid Reads format (and admittedly, this may be due to my own experience in reading military history - to a new or novice reader, this might be an excellent format). The author dryly skips around without spending too much time building up tension or developing characters or scenarios. Moving on quickly from point to point, the reader gets a bit of a Cliff's Note view of the assault.

A decent first read for young readers, perhaps, but not recommended for military history readers. ( )
  IslandDave | Sep 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
“Assault on Juno” by Mark Zuehlke is from Orca Publishing’s Rapid Reads group and it fits well into that group. Simply written this small book describes the Canadian contributions to the D-Day assaults on the Normandy coast during WWII.
D-Day is one of the most documented events in the history of warfare but the Canadian effort sometimes takes a back seat to the American and British stories. Author Zuehlke has written many books on the Canadian military and he makes good use of this opportunity to share the Canadian experience on Juno beach. Though brief, there is plenty of detail and human interest to satisfy those with just a passing knowledge of the events of D-Day.
  gordon361 | Sep 15, 2012 |

Dawn, June 6, 1944. Off the Normandy coast 6,500 ships carry 150,000 Allied troops. This is D-Day, the long-awaited Allied invasion of German-occupied Europe. The Allies will storm five beaches. One is code-named Juno Beach. Here, 14,500 Canadians will land on a five-mile stretch of sand backed by three resort towns. The beach is heavily protected by a seawall, barbed wire, underwater obstacles and hundreds of mines. Behind these defenses a heavily armed German force waits inside thick concrete pillboxes and deep trenches that bristle with machineguns and artillery pieces.

About 3,500 Canadians will lead the way. The fate of the invasion is in their hands. They either break the German defenses or die trying. Piling out of small, frail landing craft, they struggle through bullet- and shell-whipped water to gain the sand. And the bloody battle for Juno Beach begins.

With his trademark you-are-there style, acclaimed military historian Mark Zuehlke plunges readers into a vivid and powerful account of the day-long battle that put the Allies on the march toward victory in World War II.

Recounts the day-long assault on heavily-defended Juno Beach by Canadian troops during the Normandy landings on D-Day, an attack which played a key role in the success of the Allied invasion.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mark Zuehlke's book Assault on Juno was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Mark Zuehlke is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,419,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible