Blackberry Winter: A Novel by Sarah Jio

Blackberry Winter: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Jio

Member:mozey
Title:Blackberry Winter: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Jio
Info:Plume (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio (2012)

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (dara85)
    dara85: This takes place in the past (1930's), a child is taken and goes to live with another family, involves a crime

Every parent's greatest fear is something happening to their child. Nearly destitute but determined to provide for her young son Daniel, Vera leaves the child sleeping during a May snow storm and goes to work at a ritzy hotel. Returning home the next morning, she finds her son vanished, with no trace. Receiving no help from the police, she's determined to find him on her own. 77 years while writing a story about a similar storm, Claire discovers Vera's story and is determined to find out what happened to Daniel.

Alternating chapters tell each woman's story as Vera flashes back to when she met Daniel's high society father. Vera's story is heartbreaking as she is simply a victim of circumstance. Orphaned as a teenager, she must work for pennies a day. Caught in a whirlwind romance with a man she truly loves, her world comes crashing down when his sister interferes between them. Left to raise Daniel on her own, Vera puts forth a mighty effort despite an abusive landlord and grumpy supervisor.

Claire, having gone through her own devastating loss, is struggling to find her way back to life and her marriage. As she pursues Vera's story and as puzzle pieces fall into place, Claire realizes that her connection to Vera is more than simply emotions.

Most of the story is heartbreaking, but it's not a sad novel. It ends well and as Claire's story runs parallel to Vera's 77 years later, we see one woman regain what the other lost.

I enjoyed Sarah's novel The Violets of March and it wasn't until Emily and Jack briefly reappeared in Blackberry Winter that I realized the two stories were lightly connected. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Very good and enjoyable story. Looking forward to reading another one of her stories. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
A crazy snowstorm blankets Seattle in May, but it's not the first time. A fluke snowstorm fell in May of 1933 too and the editor of The Herald wants Claire Aldridge to write a feature article about the May storms--about Blackberry Winter.

During Claire's research of the storm of '33, she finds a newspaper article about Vera and her three year old son who went missing. Vera was a young maid at a high end hotel and had left her son home alone at night while she worked. Authorities believed her three year old, Daniel, ran away during the snowstorm. Claire doesn't believe it for a minute and wonders what happened to Daniel? Were mother and son ever reunited?

Claire's own life is in shambles, but this story seems to ignite a fire in her she thought was gone. Can she solve the mystery? Can there be a happily ever after? Can Claire find her way again?

Once again Sarah Jio proves she has the amazing ability to transport her readers into not one, but two stories in two different times. I fell in love with poor Vera. A young mother alone in the world struggling to make ends meet. As I read along, I was cheering Claire on wanting her to hurry and solve the mystery of Daniel. I wanted a happy reunion! It wasn't just me who wanted the mystery solved, but it was as if Mother Nature herself was demanding resolution with the return of the Blackberry Winter. I fell in love with poor Vera. A young mother alone in the world struggling to make ends meet. As I read along, I was cheering Claire on wanting her to hurry and solve the mystery of Daniel. I wanted a happy reunion! It wasn't just me who wanted the mystery solved, but it was as if Mother Nature herself was demanding resolution with the return of the Blackberry Winter. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
When in Seattle, on May 2nd, a rare late snowstorm known as a “Blackberry Winter” strikes, Claire is assigned a feature story on the last “Blackberry Winter” on May 2, 1933. As she investigates, we also go back in time as this is two stories; one of Claire, whose marriage is struggling one year after the tragic loss of her child, and the other of Vera, whose three year old son Daniel went missing in that late snowstorm in 1933, his teddy bear dropped in the snow. As Claire unravels what she can of the unsolved, and for the most part, ignored, disappearance of Vera’s son, she is forced not only to face her own life in a new way, but to find out how she and Vera’s past are linked.

This novel was written as well as the other book I read by Sarah Jio, [book:Morning Glory|17707679] that I gave 4.5 stars to. And while this is definitely a different pair of tales than the other, both involve the loss of children, grief and tragedy, I think I read this too soon after the other. If you are a Sarah Jio fan and haven’t read this, or if you’ve never read anything by her, it’s worth a read if you like this sort of story with a mystery but that is not something that fits under the mystery genre per se, but is more mainstream. This novel was an instant best seller, and she won an award for a novel I have not read. ( )
  Karin7 | Mar 12, 2016 |

***THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER***

In 2011, Sarah Jio burst onto the fiction scene with two sensational novels--The Violets of March and The Bungalow. With Blackberry Winter--taking its title from a late-season, cold-weather phenomenon--Jio continues her rich exploration of the ways personal connections can transcend the boundaries of time.

Seattle, 1933. Single mother Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, goodnight and departs to work the night-shift at a local hotel. She emerges to discover that a May-Day snow has blanketed the city, and that her son has vanished. Outside, she finds his beloved teddy bear lying face-down on an icy street, the snow covering up any trace of his tracks, or the perpetrator's.

Seattle, 2010. Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge, assigned to cover the May 1 "blackberry winter" storm and its twin, learns of the unsolved abduction and vows to unearth the truth. In the process, she finds that she and Vera may be linked in unexpected ways...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:07 -0400)

"Seattle, 1933. Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, good night and reluctantly leaves for work. She hates the night shift, but it's the only way she can earn enough to keep destitution at bay. In the morning--even though it's the second of May--a heavy snow is falling. Vera rushes to wake Daniel, but his bed is empty. His teddy bear lies outside in the snow. Seattle, present day. On the second of May, Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge awakens to another late-season snowstorm. Assigned to cover this "blackberry winter" and its predecessor decades earlier, Claire learns of Daniel's unsolved abduction and vows to unearth the truth--only to discover that she and Vera are linked in unexpected ways"--… (more)

199 wanted2 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,146,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible