Angel & Faith Volume 1: Live Through This by…

Angel & Faith Volume 1: Live Through This (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Christos Gage

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Angel & Faith Volume 1: Live Through This
Authors:Christos Gage
Info:Dark Horse (2012), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***
Tags:comics, fantasy, graphic novel, horror, supernatural, vampires

Angel & Faith, Vol. 1: Live Through This by Christos Gage (2012)

vol. 1
  hapaxes | Sep 16, 2013 |
For any fans of the Angel tv show, or fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.Angel is back, and he's teamed up with Faith to try and resurrect Giles. ( )
  GirlsonFire | Mar 7, 2013 |
Angel & Faith is set just after Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 and takes place in the United Kingdom, as our heroes pick up where Giles and his Watcher’s Files left off - but Angel has a whole other agenda in mind, resurrecting Giles! Consumed by guilt over his actions as “Twilight,” Angel believes he can use the occult knowledge from Giles’ library to resurrect his body and put back his soul. Faith thinks this plan is crazy and potentially dangerous, but she’s torn between wanting to stick by the one person who stood by her when she was at her lowest, and saving him from himself. She knows the potential for evil in Angel and she won’t let him hurt others if his plan turns into an obsession. She’s also busy trying to help a group of young slayers, one girl in particular named Nadira who is suffering survivor’s guilt after her squad was killed by Twilight and his supernatural henchmen Pearl and Nash. Faith herself wonders how she turned into the grown-up, responsible one.

In a world without magic (since the destruction of the Seed in the Buffy comics) mages are reduced to helpless old men, demons are stranded on earth and the supernatural hierarchy is in shambles. Some demons are fencing Mohra blood, known for its magical regenerative properties and Angel is convinced he could use a vial of the stuff to resurrect Giles’ body. Faith struggles with the temptation to just bash Angel over the head with the stuff and turn him human again - she sees this as the happy ending he deserves, but it might also get him killed if he continues to battle super beings like his former cronies, Pearl and Nash - a brother and sister team of half-demons who are now out for his blood.

I really like the artwork in this volume by Rebekah Isaacs. She gets the likenesses down very well and the lines are clear and bold. This is a solid volume and does a good job of exploring the Angel/Faith dynamic - I like how they are buddies, but there is no romantic vibe between them at all. I’ve always been kind of lukewarm about Angel, and I still don’t really understand the whole “Twilight” arc (I guess I need to re-read the Buffy Season Eight comics - but I wasn’t sorry to see him have to deal with some of the fallout from that shit, like Pearl/Nash and Nadira.

I am left thinking a bit more could have happened in this volume, though. The story doesn’t really progress anywhere, so besides establishing our main cast and their goals there isn’t much of note here. It’s rounded out by a short Harmony Kendall interlude that fell flat, not great incentive to pick up the next volume, which was why I originally didn’t, back when I first read this in 2013. However, having been really impressed with the author’s work on the Buffy Season 10 comics, I have decided to go back and read the entire Angel & Faith run . . . so . . . let’s see how it goes! ( )
  catfantastic | Jan 10, 2013 |
Why read: Love Angel.

What impressed me: More Angel! Yep, that's about it.

What disappointed me: This is a decent continuation of Angel's story, but without Buffy or even his old friends from the series, things are dry. Faith just doesn't make the greatest partner to carry the series. The storyline was sort of ridiculous. Angel wanting to bring Giles back from the dead. As heartbroken as I was when Giles died, the entire idea just seems sadly like grasping at straws.

Recommended: Only if you really need an Angel fix.

Continue series: Yes, but only because I do, in fact, need an Angel fix. ( )
1 vote TequilaReader | Nov 15, 2012 |
#1-5 ( )
  angellreads | Aug 23, 2012 |

The supernatural world is reeling after the loss of magic in Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, a prelude to the events that shape Angel and Faith. Throughout history Angel has had a lot to make up for, but it's his most recent mistake that may alter the course of this fan-favorite antihero--the murder of one of Buffy's most trusted allies. In his ongoing search for redemption, Angel firmly believes he's found a way to make amends--by reviving the dead! Cue Faith--rebel Slayer charged with helping Angel recover in the aftermath of his biggest misdeed. This story takes place during Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 by Joss Whedon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible