The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mitch Albom

1,219856,537 (3.74)27
Member:MarkMeg
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: BOOK CLUB, Hardcover, 240 pages

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

English (83)  German (1)  All (84)
Pretty interesting.

Easy peasy to get through too. A quick read. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
i really liked this one. i loved the format and it was definitely not what i expected. i loved pretty much everything about it, except Sarah and her story. for some reason, I just didn't care for her at all. Overall I would say it is worth reading because it may change your perspective about time and life itself. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom is a short novella about the story of Father Time and his call to redirect the lives of two people who most require it in their own personal battle with time.

It is the story of Dor, the first measurer of things, obsessed with the tally of his knowledge who is then banished to a liminal cave where he must live in “solitude” and listen in to the voices of people who cry out in suffering throughout the ages.

It is also a story of the character, Sarah Lemon, an insecure teenager whose personal rejection at school and in particular, by a boy whom she has feelings for, pushes her to attempt and unthinkable and desperate act.

While the character, Victor Delamonte, a successful and wealthy businessman struggles against a terminal illness that compels him to attempt to resist death and prolong time altogether as a direct result of his power, influence, ambition, and sense of control.

The story is somewhat scarce in its narrative, sometimes over-simplified or over-generalized in an attempt to articulate what hasn’t been named or imaginary. It’s periodically formal in its tone, which is aside from being perhaps the author, Mitch Albom’s writing style, is also a way in which the author may intend to emphasize the drama and significance of the story’s message.

To read the rest of my review, you're welcome to visit my blog, The Bibliotaphe Closet: http://zaraalexis.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/book-review-the-time-keeper-by-mitch-...

Thanks,
Zara ( )
  ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez | Jun 6, 2017 |
  King_Leonidas | Nov 16, 2016 |
What a beautiful, powerful story that held me captive from the moment I read the first page until the very end. There are not many books that I feel a sense of shame when I put them down for the night and get some sleep, this is definitely one of them.

The story is about time, and how it holds each of us captive. We either have too much of it, or not enough which is true for two of the main characters in this book. As the story unfolds, you find yourself immersed in a time before time had any meaning. Life was simple, you lived each moment and enjoyed each moment. Life wasn't governed by hours, days or years, in essence life was there to be enjoyed. It was inevitable that one day, someone would begin to measure time and this is where our story kicks off. Time: You either have too much of it, or not enough. This is true for the two other main characters in this tale. As their story unfolds, you begin to realise how time affects each of us in different ways.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, and having just finished it I would quite easily pick the book up again and read it once more. ( )
  Jay-Freeman | Nov 4, 2016 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

Albom, Mitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave
A man sits alone in a cave.

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.
The sands of time drift/
Measuring moments alone/
But love must trump time

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible