The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mitch Albom

Member:1dragones
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Fiction, Your library

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

English (76)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Powerful, short read at 200 pages. An adult fable abt Father Time. Humans and their need to count time have altered so much. This book was a fast read and intense at times. BUT through it all ,it made you think abt time and how it is spent and watched. I have not looked at a clock without thinking of the lessons learned in this story. We need to be "in the moment". ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Review: The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom.

Mitch Albon is a great poetic storyteller. The book was great, creative and captivated me within a few pages. The main character’s name is Dor or “Father Time“. Dor comes from deep in the past. The author’s message is clear from the beginning. It’s to value time and appreciate the time we have on earth. As they say, “Time Fly’s”. Father Time is the master who invented time in this amazing story.

Dor has been around for thousands of years and he challenges God when his wife dies. So, God sends Dor away to a cave alone to sit out his time listening to many voices surrounding him that come up from below pleading and demanding more time. Many years pass and Dor spiritual strength can’t take anymore. God agrees to release him if he can help two people, a teenage girl named Sarah and an elderly man named Victor to accept the true meaning of time. Dor takes his magical hourglass and travels through time into today’s society.

Dor manages to entwine himself into the lives of Sarah and Victor. Dor’s mission is to help them understand that time is a precious gift, one not to be misused, wasted, or exploited. Victor, an elderly man and Sarah, a teenage girl come from opposite ends of the spectrum. Victor is wanting more time and Sarah is wanting less time. Sarah was in love but she has just been humiliated by the boy of her dreams. She wants to end her life because she sees no future for her in this world. Victor is an elderly billionaire with terminal cancer with not many days left. He desperately tries to cheat time by having his body bio-chemically frozen before his heart stops. Others have done this procedure after death but not when they are still alive. He feels he has more of a chance coming back in the future doing it his way.

Has Dor the strength and “Time” to put a stop to Sarah’s wish and Victor’s experiment?
As “Father Time” works his magic throughout the story it’s loud and clear what message this book is sending out to its readers…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Aug 11, 2016 |
Every time I read a Mitch Albom book it makes me think. This book is a simple story yet makes you very aware of time and how we count on it and how sometimes we just throw it away. Just sitting at my work desk I can see four clocks and I am constantly looking at time and checking when something is going to happen, how long I have for an activity, show, trip and time with friends and family. Is it time to get off work, time to wake up or time for that appointment. We throw it away by waiting for the three months to go by, when we will be 16, 21, get married. Then we don't want time to march by so quickly.

I found this a quick read that woke my eyes up a little bit more on how do I use my time. Do I use it wisely, do I wish it away, do I want more, do I rely on it too much? And the question is, can I go a day without actually checking the time or caring what time it is and just live the day. I know I did as a child on a farm and rarely looked at a clock. Now that I'm an adult I look at time WAY too much. Mitch has a great lesson for all of us in this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Profound as fuck! ( )
  Adarsh_Nargundkar | Jun 12, 2016 |
Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper is an AMAZING book. For me, personally, it was a catalyst for change.

I started reading The Time Keeper, early, Wednesday evening. I was going to be traveling the following day and knew I'd have some time to kill before a meeting; so, because the book is short, I thought it would work well with my schedule.

I woke, several times, Wednesday night and read "just one more chapter"; by morning, I'd finished the book.

En route to my meeting, I continued to ponder what I'd read . . before the meeting began, I'd read the book a second time.

The premise . . so simple . . so insightful .. so powerful: "And, because of this, man alone suffers the paralyzing fear that no other creature endures."

HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

Albom, Mitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave
A man sits alone in a cave.

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.
The sands of time drift/
Measuring moments alone/
But love must trump time

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible