The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mitch Albom

Member:1dragones
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Fiction, Your library

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

English (62)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
I had previously read one other of Mitch Albom's books - "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" - and frankly found it esoteric despite the fact that it was beloved by many. I decided to try this one and see if I could keep up with the author's brain this time. I did like this book which takes us on a flight of fancy regarding people's propensity to count their moments rather than live them. Father Time, it turns out, was the first person who ever began notch days of the week, hours of the day, etc. and his obsession led to a 6000 year imprisonment that is only ended when he helps two twenty-first century individuals recognize the worth of living their lives rather than striving for more or less time. An interesting story. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Mar 3, 2015 |
I didn't enjoy this book as much as his others. An inquisitive man develops the first clock and is punished by God. He is sent to live alone in a cave and become Father Time. He eventually is set free to help two present day humans understand the importance of time and why we have a finite amount of time on earth. Its a valuable lesson to learn, but I wish the story had been more interesting and less predictable. ( )
  Coltfan18 | Feb 28, 2015 |
I listened to this on audiobook, read wonderfully by Dan Stevens. This deceptively simple story is about an ancient man, known to us as Father Time, the first man to count and record time. The story unfolds almost like a fable, as he moves through time to reach 2 modern-day people, a teenage girl and an older man, to teach the lesson of the value and essence of appreciating the time we are given.

I am generally allergic to anything that smacks of religion or *spirituality* and was a bit apprehensive when the story seemed to be going in that direction, once or twice. But, to his credit, Albom does not get preachy and keeps the story on track. I found that I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  jessibud2 | Feb 12, 2015 |
I loved this short, simple tale with a powerful message - it's a bonus for me when fiction truly makes me think about my beliefs and behaviours.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find the audiobook was narrated by Dan Stevens, more widely known for his role in Downton Abbey. Two thumbs up. ( )
  paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
I love Mitch Albom. This book really makes a person think of the preciousness of life and the small amount of time we have. ( )
  owinhofer | Nov 3, 2014 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

673 wanted3 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible