The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mitch Albom

657None14,610 (3.64)20
Member:1dragones
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: First, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Fiction, Your library

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

2012 (9) 2013 (13) Adult Fiction (2) audio (3) book club (3) death (4) ebook (9) fable (7) fables (2) fantasy (26) Father Time (7) favorites (2) fiction (66) inspirational (18) Kindle (4) library (2) life (5) life lessons (4) literature (2) Mitch Albom (3) novel (2) October 2012 (3) own (3) read (7) read in 2013 (5) religion (2) suicide (3) time (31) time travel (7) to-read (37)

English (50)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom is a story about the meaning of time and the first man who tries to measure it.

It's the beginning of the history of man, when Dor, a young boy, discovers time and invents the world's first clock. But such a discovery comes with a price and not only is he banished from his town for a time but he is also punished by God and sent to live in a cave for centuries where he must hear the voices of all who desire more years, more days, more minutes....

Eventually he is offered a chance to redeem himself by saving the souls of two earthly people, one who wants to end her life and the other who wants to live forever. And so he appears in modern times with an hourglass that when turned upside down, can stop time and attempts to save these lives and in turn end his eternal curse.

This book is fantastic and the characters are likable and relatable as well. It's a fast paced page turner and I liked it very much. Another great story from Mitch Albom.

Some of my favorite quotes from the book:

“It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be.”

“There is a reason God limits man's days.”

“When you are measuring life, you are not living it.” ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
A COMPELLING FABLE ABOUT THE FIRST MAN ON EARTH TO COUNT THE HOURS.
  oaklutheran | Mar 30, 2014 |
Lovely story about time. Why are we so caught up in it? Why do we measure everything and not just live in the moment. The story has two people in current day - a teen who's been betrayed by her friends, so she wants to kill herself and not have more time' and a businessman who is dying of cancer & wants to freeze his body to have more time. Good choice of characters to point out that time is what you make of it. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 30, 2014 |
4.5/5 stars Wow, this was not what I had expected. I was expecting a typical time travel story (something like The Time Traveler's Wife) but what I got was a unique story that looks deeply into humanities understanding and handling of time. This is a short novel yet Albom is able to take us through thousands of years (from early hunter-gatherer society to modern times).

During the first half of the book, I thought, this is a nice story, an unusual story but by the end, I was thoroughly charmed by Albom's writing, his characters, and his ideas. Amazon lists The Time Keeper for the 18 and over crowd but I think this is a book that all teenagers should read. Albom does an amazing job at touching on the pain and loneliness that is so often a part of growing up and the effects of cyber bullying. Through events that are reminiscent of Dicken's A Christmas Carol, he shows us that we are never truly alone.

The Time Keeper is a quick but important read. I recommend it to everyone. **I would like to thank Hyperion and netgalley.com for this wonderful eARC. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
A short book with an interesting plot. Three stories alternate chapters: each one playing out just a little each time. Surprisingly, this format does not make the story hard to follow, but enhances it by bringing three different perspectives to the topic of time and what it means to different people at different crossroads in their lives. Profound yet entertaining. ( )
  nadelle | Feb 20, 2014 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

673 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible