The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mitch Albom

Member:Judiex
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2012), Edition: BOOK CLUB, Hardcover, 240 pages

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

English (74)  German (1)  All languages (75)
Every time I read a Mitch Albom book it makes me think. This book is a simple story yet makes you very aware of time and how we count on it and how sometimes we just throw it away. Just sitting at my work desk I can see four clocks and I am constantly looking at time and checking when something is going to happen, how long I have for an activity, show, trip and time with friends and family. Is it time to get off work, time to wake up or time for that appointment. We throw it away by waiting for the three months to go by, when we will be 16, 21, get married. Then we don't want time to march by so quickly.

I found this a quick read that woke my eyes up a little bit more on how do I use my time. Do I use it wisely, do I wish it away, do I want more, do I rely on it too much? And the question is, can I go a day without actually checking the time or caring what time it is and just live the day. I know I did as a child on a farm and rarely looked at a clock. Now that I'm an adult I look at time WAY too much. Mitch has a great lesson for all of us in this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Profound as fuck! ( )
  Adarsh_Nargundkar | Jun 12, 2016 |
Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper is an AMAZING book. For me, personally, it was a catalyst for change.

I started reading The Time Keeper, early, Wednesday evening. I was going to be traveling the following day and knew I'd have some time to kill before a meeting; so, because the book is short, I thought it would work well with my schedule.

I woke, several times, Wednesday night and read "just one more chapter"; by morning, I'd finished the book.

En route to my meeting, I continued to ponder what I'd read . . before the meeting began, I'd read the book a second time.

The premise . . so simple . . so insightful .. so powerful: "And, because of this, man alone suffers the paralyzing fear that no other creature endures."

HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Excellent story telling. Very easy to read, with a parity of text that some other authors should really take note of. You don't have to write reams to get your message across. Easy writing made is so easy to comprehend and understand some quite difficult concepts ( )
  libgirl69 | May 3, 2016 |
I'm a fan of Albom's books, and this one didn't disappoint me one bit. It was such a joy to read it! ( )
  pathogenik | Feb 18, 2016 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave
A man sits alone in a cave.

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.
The sands of time drift/
Measuring moments alone/
But love must trump time

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,616,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible