Point of Retreat: A Novel by Colleen Hoover

Point of Retreat: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Colleen Hoover

Series: Slammed (2)

Member:MichelleSedeno
Title:Point of Retreat: A Novel
Authors:Colleen Hoover
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, new adult, contemporary, romance

Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Oh wow! Another butterflying great book! I am honestly in love with Will Cooper! Every girl hopes to be loved the way he loves Lake. Completely and deeply. He wasn't the overbearing, ultra alpha male type but he still held an intensity that made me giddy. Sometimes I wanted to grab Lake by the arms and shake her but I did kind of see her point, maybe not to extreme that she took it though. I loved their mix match family. I truly believe that biology is not the only thing that makes a family. I also loved the relationship between the kids, friends and the neighbors. Who wouldn't want to live on their street! There were so many good moments, some that made me laugh out loud, cry out loud, and even blush a few times. Love, Love, Love it! ( )
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog Boricuan Bookworms

E-book Provided by Publisher via Netgalley

I enjoyed this book much more than Slammed because of two reasons:
-Will’s POV
-This one touched the plethora of themes more than Slammed did.

Now, when I say that I enjoyed Will’s POV, is because I fell head over heels for Will in the first book. Will was a combination of sexy and perfect. He was pexy(may have to work on that more…) . Anyways, in this book we finally see what’s going on through his head, and we get to fall in love with him even more.

Now, there is a downside to this, and it’s that I got to HATE Layken in this book. I didn’t hate her because she was with Will, no, I hated her because she kept breaking his heart over and over again. This book follows the typical “second book break up” syndrome. The main characters have an amazing relationship, but because Layken suddenly thinks of “what if” situations, she decides to break up the relationship.

I mean, how could she doubt Will’s feeling after he’s been there for her over and over and over again.  I honestly admire Will for putting up with Layken’s shit attitude.

Through the whole book we have to put up with Layken’s need to “carve pumpkins” and ignore the real situation at hand, while we’re reading Will’s innermost thoughts, and seeing how much he loves her and how much he’s hurting because of her.

I think that if the book had only revolved around this fact, I would have probably rated this about 1 star. But, I’m glad that the author included other subplots, because I found that this time around, they were very well explored.

The main problem I had with Slammed was that there were too many themes at hand that maybe weren’t really very well mentioned.

In Point of Retreat, we get new themes, such as family and bullying that really did touch me on a personal level. I cried like a baby here, because I realized how, slowly but steadily I got invested in these characters and their situations.

Nevertheless, this book suffered from many clichés. MANY. I felt at one point that everything that could go wrong, did.

Anyways, I loved the new characters that were mentioned here. Kiersten and her mom where like a breath of fresh air!  I think that without them the story wouldn’t have run as smoothly.

I’ve seen plenty of negative reviews for this book, just because of the way it ended. Let me tell you something:

I think the book ended wonderfully considering everything everyone went through. (This may or may not be a spoiler, read at your own risk). I believe in  the end, that even if Layken is annoying beyond belief, that she and Will are “it” for each other. Their love has gone through it all, and even if I don’t understand them at times, I definitely will stick by their decision.

Overall, I enjoyed this book much more than the first one, but I still believe it could have been much better.

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
I think I just found one of my new favorite authors! I have just read read 3 books in a row by Colleen Hoover and they were all butterflying fantastic! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
It was butterflying great! I'm not big on books after the happily ever after, but I loved it as usual. great poetry. great friendships and characters you care about. Great writer. A true way with words and funny as hell ! ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
Just when I thought I could not love Colleen Hoover more, I read this book. I was afraid this would be a let down compared to Slammed, but oh mama it wasn't! This book had my emotions all twisted up and the all surprises really caught me off guard. Colleen Hoover has perfected the formula of new adult books & I can't wait to read some more of her novels! ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |

Layken and Will's relationship has endured through hardships, heartache, and a cruel twist of fate, further solidifying the fact that they belong together. But the two lovers could not have expected that the things that brought them together may ultimately be the things that tear them apart. Their connection is on the brink of being destroyed forever and it will take an extraordinary amount of willpower to keep their love afloat.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible