The Art of Possibility: Transforming…

The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life (2000)

by Rosamund Stone Zander, Benjamin Zander (Author)

828None10,860 (3.94)1

A little bit too kool-aid/landmarky for me. ( )
  RubyA | Mar 30, 2013 |
I've read a million-and-one self improvement books, so it isn't very often that I find something that I haven't heard already. This book had several eye-opening topics for me. I was drawn into the book and had trouble putting it down. I especially liked the topic of 'giving yourself an A.' It is such a simple thing, but really altered my philosophy. This will be a book that I pick up over and over. ( )
  buildingabookshelf | Nov 27, 2011 |
This audio delivers on its title. It provides thoughts that allow you to step outside the box in how you approach dreams, goals and your outlook on life. I highly recommend this entertaining audio. ( )
  GShuk | Jun 4, 2011 |
More inspiration than practical tips about creativity. It did encourage me to appreciate all the constraints our mental models put on us. I particularly liked the idea of “Rule No. 6”: (name comes from an anecdote) which is not to take yourself too seriously. Coda says book is interested in providing reader with “tools for your transformation.”

Concepts are presented in chapters with anecdotes from authors, a husband-wife team. Ben, a conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra and Rosamund, a family therapist. ( )
  pjhogan | Nov 20, 2010 |
Available at Western Libraries
  ciia | Sep 28, 2010 |

Rosamund Stone Zanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zander, BenjaminAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142001104, Paperback)

The lure of this book's promise starts with the assumption in its title. Possibility--that big, all-encompassing, wide-open-door concept--is an art? Well, who doesn't want to be a skilled artist, whether in the director's chair, the boardroom, on the factory floor, or even just in dealing with life's everyday situations? Becoming an artist, however, requires discipline, and what the authors of The Art of Possibility offer is a set of practices designed to "initiate a new approach to current conditions, based on uncommon assumptions about the nature of the world."

If that sounds a little too airy-fairy for you, don't be put off; this is no mere self-improvement book, with a wimpy mandate to transform its readers into "nicer" people. Instead, it's a collection of illustrations and advice that suggests a way to change your entire outlook on life and, in the process, open up a new realm of possibility. Consider, for example, the practice of "Giving an A," whether to yourself or to others. Not intended as a way to measure someone's performance against standards, this practice instead recognizes that "the player who looks least engaged may be the most committed member of the group," and speaks to their passion rather than their cynicism. It creates possibility in an interaction and does away with power disparities to unite a team in its efforts. Or consider "Being the Board," where instead of defining yourself as a playing piece, or even as the strategist, you see yourself as the framework for the entire game. In this scenario, assigning blame or gaining control becomes futile, while seeking to become an instrument for effective partnerships becomes possible.

Packed with such examples of personal and professional interactions, the book presents complex ideas on perception and recognition in a readable, useable style. The authors' combined, eclectic experience in music and painting (as well as family therapy and executive workshops) infuses their examples with vibrant color and sound. The relevance to corporate situations and relationships is well developed, and they don't rely on dry case studies to do it. Indeed, this book assumes the emotional intelligence and desire to engage of its reader, promising access to the rewards of that door-opening notion--possibility--in return. --S. Ketchum

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:34 -0400)

Presenting twelve breakthrough practices for bringing creativity into all human endeavors, this book is the dynamic product of an extraordinary partnership. It combines Benjamin Zander's experience as conductor of the Boston Philharmonic and his talent as a teacher and communicator with psychotherapist Rosamund Stone Zander's genius for designing innovative paradigms for personal and professional fulfillment. The authors' harmoniously interwoven perspectives provide a deep sense of the powerful role that the notion of possibility can play in every aspect of life. Through uplifting stories, parables, and personal anecdotes, the Zanders invite readers to become passionate communicators, leaders, and performers whose lives radiate possibility into the world.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible