The Siren (The Original Sinners) by Tiffany…

The Siren (The Original Sinners) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tiffany Reisz

Member:AuthorMarion
Title:The Siren (The Original Sinners)
Authors:Tiffany Reisz
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:BDSM, erotica, personal-demons

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz (2012)

This just wasn't for me, I could find no connection to the characters or the story...which is not to say that it was bad, I found the prose very well thought out and incredibly deliberately chosen. However, it also felt very piecemeal, and I found it hard to feel any connections between the characters. Like I said, I just don't think it was for me. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Well I've finished the book and all I can say is why? The Siren is a depressing book, yes there is one HEA, and that would be Zack and his estranged wife Grace getting back together.

Overall the author did a nice job presenting the book, writing style, quality all good....character development, why they are the way they are, back-story a so so job. What sex there is in the book is violent for the most part, its used to enhance the storyline it does not take over the book, its used to help us understand our characters, to help us see into their psyche and lives. There were a few warm and touching moments in the book, but they were few and far apart (one that comes to mind is the bathtub scene where Wes is taking care of Nora).

This is NOT your traditional good feel, warm fuzzy love story. Reading this book made me feel - need, unfulfilled expectations, duty,hurt, pain, sadness, devotion, and plan survival. I'm OK with books that don't end with a traditional HEA, so that was not one of the problems I had with this book. The book is about relationships. In my opinion none of these relationships are healthy, progressing towards health, quality relationships, or have any redeeming qualities.

I didn't really feel a good connection between any of the characters..Nora was like the center of the universe, and Soren, Wes and Zack just drifted in and out of her life, and if that's not enough Nora has her job, fulfilling other people’s sexual needs. All of the interpersonal bonds, any romantic ties, or friendships seemed so superficial, seemed like they were only there to fulfill their purpose, and then were just cast aside. I felt like Nora and Soren had no conscience, they manipulated the situations to satisfy them – personal gratification.

I think Nora summed up her happy moments at one point and they numbered less then 10. That’s just plain sad!

I never understood Nora’s relationship with Wes - she seemed more motherly then a hands off lover. Wes on the other hand was a young man in love with Nora, but he allowed his actions to be more of a protector, roommate, then an actual lover. I think Nora took advantage of Wes emotionally and physically, and her actions bordered on child abuse. Nora’s relationship with Zack seemed more like one of instant gratification, and "shock" value then actual love, she was helping him reclaim his happiness. Then there’s Soren, what a philosophical, hypocritical, egotistical sadist. Had Nora not become involved with him at such a young age I wonder if her need and acceptance of physical pain would have been as pronounced? I don’t see Nora as a masochist by nature, I see her as a guilt collector, I think she feels she deserves the treatment Soren gives her, like she‘s atoning for her sins. I think she was never able to experience physical or emotional love in any other way, or with any other person, Soren was the only male influence she had entering adulthood, I think she learned that his sadistic behavior equated to love. Nora was a victim of sexual abuse at an early age, and Soren does not deserve the "free pass" as a child abuser just because he is a man of the cloth.

This is a love story, all the characters loved to the best of their ability, as limited, obsessive, and warped as it was. I just wasn't satisfied that anyone gained anything, grew as a person, or helped anyone else grow into a better person.

I guess in the end I just didn’t get it
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I really need to think about this book for a while before I review it. It is very well written and affected me greatly, but it was also rather disturbing. Just need to let it all sit for a bit before I can really explain it, and then I might change the rating. I did really enjoy it and couldn't wait to finish it. ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
The Siren is the book Fifty Shades haven't had the guts to be. Mind-blowing, shocking, amazing, raw and gritty.

You can guess that I loved it to bits, and can't wait to read The Angel, which is the next in series.

The Siren follows life of Nora, an erotica writer who started writing to get through a devastating break up of a long-term relationship with her dom. She herself works as a dominatrix, and she is really really good at what she does.

When she decides to become a serious published author, the publishing house assigns their best editor to her. Zach doesn't want to deal with her, is not interested in erotica and only a few weeks away from transferring to a new editorial position in California. So he gives her an ultimatum where she only has 6 weeks to rewrite her book up to his standards otherwise her contract is bust.

Both Zach and Nora are truly tortured characters. He is suffering from separation with his wife and doesn't know where he went wrong in their relationship. But the book has so many more characters and story lines. There is breathtakingly beautiful and scary Jesuit Soren; Nora's charming assistant, young Wesley; and many more unorthodox lives in between.

The Siren is NOT for EVERYONE. That I can guarantee. However, if you get into it with your eyes wide open and without prejudice, it's dark, heart-wrenching, addictive and really beautiful. It's so far from your comfort zones, I wouldn't even go there if I were you, and I am hungry for more of Tiffany's exquisite writing.

P.S. Re-read it in May 2014. Still amazing, especially after reading The Saint. You look at everything with different eyes :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This book was a roller coaster for me. I found myself loving it and being totally appalled in a matter of chapters. I loved the writing, the characters, and the diversity of the wounds that each of the characters carried around. I also enjoyed the fact that this novel is not happily ever after and roses and rainbows. It had a Megan Hart feel to it, if you enjoy her work this book will be for you.

Let's dive in. The characters are truly what made this story so amazing. Nora in her own right is such a strong yet fragile women and Ms. Reisz isn't afraid to take her to the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. In this book I have to say that Wesley is my favorite character. Maybe because he is closest to my age so I understand his plight and fight with his emotions and hormones when it comes to Nora. He makes the story so much better but I wish he would have had a better ending. The series will continue so maybe he will.

The skeeve level in this book is large for me. There are inappropriate relationships every single way you look at these characters. Nora and Wesley, Nora and Zach, Nora and Soren...and it continues as the pages turn. I was uncomfortable a lot through this book and I almost stopped reading when Nora got her "present" from Soren but I pushed through and I didn't regret it. Does the way Ms. Reisz turn the relationships make them any more appropriate, I don't know, but I promise you that if you read this book there will be something that puts you on edge.

The writing in this book is amazing. Ms Reisz definitely has command of her vocabulary and writing skills on so many levels. I enjoyed reading this novel for it's vivid descriptions and complete command of the prose just as much as I did for the actual book. If you love to ride the edge of erotica then this book is for you. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book…if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him…or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:10 -0400)

In a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever simple. Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica. But British editor Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands, and she must rewrite her newest novel to his exacting standard, in just six weeks. Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining... and shockingly arousing...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible