The Siren (The Original Sinners) by Tiffany…

The Siren (The Original Sinners) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tiffany Reisz

Member:AuthorMarion
Title:The Siren (The Original Sinners)
Authors:Tiffany Reisz
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:BDSM, erotica, personal-demons

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz (2012)

I should have read this book before 50 shades. Wow! Great how the story Ellie wrote matched the story we were reading, from the number of sex scenes to the BJ! Only one Nora! Classic George. ( )
  ChannellingCloretta | Mar 9, 2014 |
My inner English major really wants to write a term paper on this book. That's a good thing. A very good thing, because it means that I not only enjoyed The Siren, but it made me think. I devoured this book. I savored some sentences so much that I wanted to go find a highlighter so I could come back to them for further discussion. (This may well happen in my house, because my roommate was also an English major who enjoyed this book.)

It makes me jealous, because this book is just so damn well crafted. Everything's good--the writing, the pacing, the character development, everything. And the sex! In my post-English-major years I've refused to read any literary fiction because the stories are depressing and the sex is bad. The sex here is pretty amazing (though IMHO it needed more)(or at least I wanted more, it probably technically doesn't need more). I won't say The Siren isn't depressing, but as is stated for the book within the book, this ain't a romance novel. There are no unicorns and rainbows here, no matter how much my romance writer's heart wanted some. [a:Tiffany Reisz|4480131|Tiffany Reisz|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] keeps it real, people. This is the real deal, filled with angst and pain and drama and it's just...beautiful. Not in a ponies and butterflies way, in a sometimes beautiful things can and will kick your ass way. (Remember "Labyrinth" when Sarah gets bitten by the fairy and Hoggle is all "What did you think it would do?". Yeah. Like that.)

But Robyn, you say, this is erotica, not literary fiction. It's both. Anything that makes me want to bust out the highlighter, take notes and write a term paper is literary fiction to me.

Vaguely spoilery things from here on. You've been warned.

This doesn't mean I loved everything about the book. I think it works out the way it needed to at the end and I understand why it does, but it nearly made me huck the book across the room. Still, I think that's more of me as a reader reaction than anything wrong with the book. Because I hated Soren from the first mention of him. I couldn't really explain why until it's revealed that he's a priest, and then it was an aha moment for me. (We'll just say I'm a lapsed Catholic and leave it at that.) (Actually there are several things I related to that I'd like to discuss more and might do at my blog instead of at Goodreads.)

But yes, this book has teeth. If your definition of kinky is handcuffs and a blindfold, this book will be too much for you, unless you're looking to broaden your BDSM horizons. (As we used to say in college, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.") And there is some dark stuff discussed. To me that makes it more interesting, because as I said, English major. My reaction tends to me more analytical than your average reader. So just be warned.

Aside from all that, I thought it was a fascinating read. It kept me up too late because I couldn't put it down, which rarely happens.

And aside from the aside: I will admit that my copy is a signed ARC and my BFF and I may be suffering from crushes on Tiffany Reisz. So please, feel free to take my lurve for this book with a grain of salt. And then go buy it and read it as soon as its available. It's well worth it. ( )
  RobynBachar | Feb 27, 2014 |
I'm not going to rate this book because I don't think that would be fair to the author. Her writing is excellent and I enjoyed the connection between Nora and Zachary, but after the scene she wrote with Soren, I knew this was not my kind of book. S&M that causes bleeding, bruising, and tears, where she is collared, whipped, caned, and slapped, is not my thing and there was no way I could relate to Nora as a character after reading that scene. DNF
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
“It was my mistake—” he turned and met her eyes “—thinking we had all the time in the world.”

THIS. This is the book I've been waiting to read for almost half a year. It is definitely my odds-on favorite book of 2012. I needed to escape the gnawing decline of heart breaking books this year. I'd been aching for this. EAT YOUR HEART OUT, E. L. JAMES. THERE'S A NEW SEXY-TIMES WRITER IN . . . KENTUCKY? LONDON? Anyway . . . I once told one of my best book devouring mates: "I'll admit it's about the book, at first. About the words. But then the books fade away, the pages lose luster. You start on a book binge. And before you know it, all you're looking for is the high you're getting from reading. How blissed out it's making you feel." (Or something like that.) And can I tell you, right now I'm stoned. (Back then I thought I'd said something brilliant. Apparently not. All she said was, "You really are mad.")

“Nora— Forgive me for copyediting, but it must be said—you have raped the semicolon yet again. Stop it. It wasn’t asking for it no matter how it was dressed. If you don’t know how to use punctuation then do away with it altogether, write like Faulkner and we’ll pretend it’s on purpose.”

Bite me, Easton, Nora said to herself as she corrected her sexually compromised semicolon in chapter eighteen. Seriously, bite me.”

So is there a love triangle? No. A foursome? No. A Star? Yes. We've FIVE players all tangled together. Meet . . . NORA, ZACH, WESLEY, SOREN, and GRACE.

Nora, our in-your-face erotica writer, is really very complex. Full of spirit and sass. Best heroine in any book i've ever read.
Soren, her old lover, has all the mystery of Mozart's Requiem. He's a sadist, and very intimidating.
Zack, the editor for her new book, is a typically prig Brit and but sexy in his (not-so) Tory ways.
Wesley is nineteen and adorable. He works for Nora. He's sweet, he's got a sweet tooth, and we all know that is deadly in tandem.
Grace is Zack's wife, who he's still madly in love with, but who's fast fading away from his life.

I didn't really feel how badly Nora and Soren loved each other, and the sex wasn't arousing, just told.

But The Siren is an exquisitely written, laugh out loud but heartbreaking debut . . . and I'll die if there isn't a sequel in my hands soon.

potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
The Siren is well written, dark, complicated, unique and explosively hot.
Had I liked Nora more, I think I would have loved this book. I found it hard to love or truly respect an inconsistent and scattered heroine with no moral compass.

I love a great hot sex scene and this book has loads of them, however... scene after scene of emotionally vacant carnal encounters is slightly depressing. Nora never seems to manage or maintain a connection with anyone beyond the sex. Once it's over she's nursing bruises and seeking her next lover, stranger or assigned partner. It's quite tragic really.

Despite these criticisms, I found the debauched world captivating and genuinely entertaining. Even when it was difficult to read I couldn't stop.

Still curious? I suggest you borrow this one. ( )
  TheLustyLiterate | Dec 7, 2013 |

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book…if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him…or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

In a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever simple. Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica. But British editor Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands, and she must rewrite her newest novel to his exacting standard, in just six weeks. Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining... and shockingly arousing...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible