The Siren (The Original Sinners) by Tiffany…

The Siren (The Original Sinners) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tiffany Reisz

Member:AuthorMarion
Title:The Siren (The Original Sinners)
Authors:Tiffany Reisz
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:BDSM, erotica, personal-demons

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz (2012)

*Book source ~ Gifted

Nora Sutherlin is a notorious writer of steamy erotica and she’s trying to get her newest book published with respectable publisher, Royal House Publishing. She wants their best editor, the young and handsome British fuddy duddy Zach Easton, to edit her book, but he wants nothing to do with the purveyor of smut. However, they strike a deal and if he likes her book by the time she’s rewritten it and he’s edited it then he’ll sign her contract. But there’s more going on in both their lives than just a book. Who will be the victor in this butting of heads?

This book had been on my TBR since 2012 and while I was intrigued enough to stick it on that shelf there was always something telling me I wouldn’t like it so I kept pushing it further down the list. At the urging of friends who loved it and a gifted copy I decided to give it a go.

It started off pretty good. I liked all the characters, the writing was great and there was some mystery and witty dialogue. And then Nora does some shit that I find reprehensible. On top of that, she can’t seem to have a normal conversation. Everything out of her mouth, and I mean everything, is some kind of sexual reference or innuendo and frankly it got so incredibly tedious I wanted to just slap some duct tape over her mouth for the rest of the book. Or maybe sew her lips shut since she loves pain so damn much.

I started out hating Søren and liking everyone else, but by the end of the book Søren was the only true-to-himself character and everyone else were just fucked up liars. I would never be friends with Søren, but at least he was honest. Oh, and don’t get me started on the “twist” to Nora’s story. Can I just say how moronic it was and leave it at that? I rolled my eyes so hard I thought they would fall out of my head, roll across the floor and the cats would bat them around for fun. I’m done. Do I need to say I will not be continuing with this series? I’m so disillusioned I’m not even sure I want to try anything else by this new-to-me author. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 8, 2016 |
This book was really good, can't wait to start The Angel :) ( )
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |
Well I've finished the book and all I can say is why? The Siren is a depressing book, yes there is one HEA, and that would be Zack and his estranged wife Grace getting back together.

Overall the author did a nice job presenting the book, writing style, quality all good....character development, why they are the way they are, back-story a so so job. What sex there is in the book is violent for the most part, its used to enhance the storyline it does not take over the book, its used to help us understand our characters, to help us see into their psyche and lives. There were a few warm and touching moments in the book, but they were few and far apart (one that comes to mind is the bathtub scene where Wes is taking care of Nora).

This is NOT your traditional good feel, warm fuzzy love story. Reading this book made me feel - need, unfulfilled expectations, duty,hurt, pain, sadness, devotion, and plan survival. I'm OK with books that don't end with a traditional HEA, so that was not one of the problems I had with this book. The book is about relationships. In my opinion none of these relationships are healthy, progressing towards health, quality relationships, or have any redeeming qualities.

I didn't really feel a good connection between any of the characters..Nora was like the center of the universe, and Soren, Wes and Zack just drifted in and out of her life, and if that's not enough Nora has her job, fulfilling other people’s sexual needs. All of the interpersonal bonds, any romantic ties, or friendships seemed so superficial, seemed like they were only there to fulfill their purpose, and then were just cast aside. I felt like Nora and Soren had no conscience, they manipulated the situations to satisfy them – personal gratification.

I think Nora summed up her happy moments at one point and they numbered less then 10. That’s just plain sad!

I never understood Nora’s relationship with Wes - she seemed more motherly then a hands off lover. Wes on the other hand was a young man in love with Nora, but he allowed his actions to be more of a protector, roommate, then an actual lover. I think Nora took advantage of Wes emotionally and physically, and her actions bordered on child abuse. Nora’s relationship with Zack seemed more like one of instant gratification, and "shock" value then actual love, she was helping him reclaim his happiness. Then there’s Soren, what a philosophical, hypocritical, egotistical sadist. Had Nora not become involved with him at such a young age I wonder if her need and acceptance of physical pain would have been as pronounced? I don’t see Nora as a masochist by nature, I see her as a guilt collector, I think she feels she deserves the treatment Soren gives her, like she‘s atoning for her sins. I think she was never able to experience physical or emotional love in any other way, or with any other person, Soren was the only male influence she had entering adulthood, I think she learned that his sadistic behavior equated to love. Nora was a victim of sexual abuse at an early age, and Soren does not deserve the "free pass" as a child abuser just because he is a man of the cloth.

This is a love story, all the characters loved to the best of their ability, as limited, obsessive, and warped as it was. I just wasn't satisfied that anyone gained anything, grew as a person, or helped anyone else grow into a better person.

I guess in the end I just didn’t get it
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I really need to think about this book for a while before I review it. It is very well written and affected me greatly, but it was also rather disturbing. Just need to let it all sit for a bit before I can really explain it, and then I might change the rating. I did really enjoy it and couldn't wait to finish it. ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
The Siren is the book Fifty Shades haven't had the guts to be. Mind-blowing, shocking, amazing, raw and gritty.

You can guess that I loved it to bits, and can't wait to read The Angel, which is the next in series.

The Siren follows life of Nora, an erotica writer who started writing to get through a devastating break up of a long-term relationship with her dom. She herself works as a dominatrix, and she is really really good at what she does.

When she decides to become a serious published author, the publishing house assigns their best editor to her. Zach doesn't want to deal with her, is not interested in erotica and only a few weeks away from transferring to a new editorial position in California. So he gives her an ultimatum where she only has 6 weeks to rewrite her book up to his standards otherwise her contract is bust.

Both Zach and Nora are truly tortured characters. He is suffering from separation with his wife and doesn't know where he went wrong in their relationship. But the book has so many more characters and story lines. There is breathtakingly beautiful and scary Jesuit Soren; Nora's charming assistant, young Wesley; and many more unorthodox lives in between.

The Siren is NOT for EVERYONE. That I can guarantee. However, if you get into it with your eyes wide open and without prejudice, it's dark, heart-wrenching, addictive and really beautiful. It's so far from your comfort zones, I wouldn't even go there if I were you, and I am hungry for more of Tiffany's exquisite writing.

P.S. Re-read it in May 2014. Still amazing, especially after reading The Saint. You look at everything with different eyes :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book…if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him…or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:10 -0400)

In a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever simple. Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica. But British editor Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands, and she must rewrite her newest novel to his exacting standard, in just six weeks. Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining... and shockingly arousing...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,510,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible