Gelato Sisterhood on the Amalfi Shore by…

Gelato Sisterhood on the Amalfi Shore

by Chantal Kelly

113,689,591 (4.5)None
Recently added byjustine28

Bought this book after reading some raving reviews on Amazon and I’m glad I did.
It’s a story of one of the trips that the author organized as a tour guide for her American customers to visit the beautiful Amalfi Coast in Southern Italy. Kelly takes the group (they’re are all middle-aged women) on a very personalised tour of the area, showing them all the sights, the amazing shops, restaurants and many other hidden gems all along the Amalfi coast and Capri. It’s almost like a trip report or a blog from the travels, but only in the terms of the content; the language used is very elegant, certainly not a blog-style one. It’s a very pleasant read that will probably inspire a lot of people to plan their next visit to Italy. I found the book to be very informative, very well researched, it reads almost like a guidebook but a more personalized one, with loads of funny anecdotes etc. The reason I got interested in the book in the first place was an upcoming holiday in Amalfi and the book proved to be very helpful and provided great inspiration for my trip. I would certainly recommend “Gelato Sisterhood” to anybody planning a visit to Southern Italy and to all interested in Italian culture, history, sights etc. I believe however that it would be too detailed for those looking just for a light and fun read as it’s full of information on the area. ( )
  justine28 | May 24, 2012 |
"One never really knows how much one is being touched by a place until one has left it." Thomas Jefferson
To my husband of thirty years, my wonderful traveling companion. For you I would cross another ocean.
To my parents.
To the people of Campania.
What I thought would be a simple winter business trip to Rome many years ago was actually the start of my love affair with Italy.
The view of the Gulf of Naples bathing in the glow of the setting sun is just as mesmerizing as I remember. Immediately, my eyes are drawn to the unmistakable profile of Vesuvio, to the surrounding open plain and to the path we traveled on today. In the lush valley below the hotel lies Sorrento, at the edge the sea. Directly across the deep blue of the Bay of Sorrento is Naples. Does anyone ever get tired of looking at this panorama I wonder, jealous of the people living here.

Warmed by the brilliant Campania sun and the lemon-scented breeze off shimmering Mediterranean waters, the Amalfi Coast has been seducing travelers since Roman times. Lush terraced mountainsides brimming with grape vines and olive groves tumble down to meet the sea. Sun-washed pastel buildings clinging to vertical cliffs, ancient timeworn villages, and secluded beaches beckon at every hairpin turn. Chantal Kelly takes the reader along on an unforgettable tour of the Amalfi Coast as she expertly guides a small group of women where blue horizons stretch endlessly and legend and romance abound. Intriguing towns are brought to life with humorous anecdotes and insights. Enchanting moments leap off the pages and into your heart as the women learn to cook traditional dishes, indulge in the incomparable regional food and drink, succumb to the siren song of stunning handmade ceramics, and admire Italy's most attractive feature, the gorgeous, flirty men! Informative and practical, filled with Chantal s personal stories and delicious recipes, this book will mesmerize anyone who's ever been tempted by the undeniable charms of Italy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,990,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible