Rooms by Lauren Oliver

Rooms (2014)

by Lauren Oliver

Slade House by David Mitchell (tralliott)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Rooms is not as scary as Hill house, but it did remind me of a more modern version of the story.

I liked the concept of the ghosts "living" in the house and commenting on the lives being lived there. I like the dysfuctional family trying to figure out what comes next after the death of the father. The characters were all good, but something about this book didn't come together for me. I don't know if it was the ghosts history being referenced obliquely all the time and only coming out in pieces or how they tied to the main story, I don't know. It just didn't work for me. ( )
  bookwormteri | Feb 8, 2019 |
The description sounded interesting and promising but either it didn't deliver or I just didn't understand it. I tried listening to the audio version but there are 5 different readers and most of it was mumbled. So...I thought I'd give the book a try. Frankly I can't remember when I have been more bored with a book. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 12, 2018 |
Okay, fairly average. Nothing unexpected but engaging enough to finish. Not as dark as I had hoped or eerie, but an interesting premise. Predictable. ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
I really liked this concept of a haunted house, where the ghosts become part of the house rather than simply inhabiting it. It is a different take on the theme. The ghosts were the best part of this book. The humans were another matter. They were all pretty unlikeable - if you need to like your characters this book might not be for you. I also liked the ghosts' story better than the human stories. The ghosts stories felt complete to me, but the human stories were all pretty unresolved and left me wondering what the author's point was with some of the threads. The humans didn't seem to grow like the ghosts did, but maybe that was point...they still had a life to lead and the ghosts needed to find closure. ( )
  Cora-R | Jun 24, 2018 |
I'm a little conflicted about this book. I really enjoyed reading it. I was really interested to see what was going on with the living characters in the book, and I loved the added mystery of what happened to the ghost characters and how they got that way. But I was left feeling a little disappointed at the end. Sandra's mystery was solved, but it wasn't made clear to me how and why she just left. Was it because the truth of how she died finally became known? And did I miss it, or was it never explained how Alice died? And why was Eva there if she didn't die in the house? I was left with a lot of questions. Another question: Why was Caroline so upset about Adrianne if she and Richard were divorced? And she was the one who left Richard? So I don't get why she was so upset that he had found another lover. I wish the author had given more detail about each character's physical appearance too, because I was having trouble picturing them. Overall, I did like this book though. It's the second book by Lauren Oliver I've read, and I look forward to reading more of her in the future. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, Suet YeeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, SaraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rooms

Rooms I (I will not say
worked in) once heard in.  Words
my mouth heard
then-be
with me.  Rooms,
you oppen onto one
another: still house
this life, be in me
when I leave

-Franz Wright
To the brilliant Lexa Hillyer, for her support, friendship, and many glasses of wine
The fire begins in the basement.

Wealthy Richard Walker has just died, leaving behind his country house full of rooms packed with the detritus of a lifetime. His estranged family—bitter ex-wife Caroline, troubled teenage son Trenton, and unforgiving daughter Minna—have arrived for their inheritance.

But the Walkers are not alone. Prim Alice and the cynical Sandra, long dead former residents bound to the house, linger within its claustrophobic walls. Jostling for space, memory, and supremacy, they observe the family, trading barbs and reminiscences about their past lives. Though their voices cannot be heard, Alice and Sandra speak through the house itself—in the hiss of the radiator, a creak in the stairs, the dimming of a light bulb.

The living and dead are each haunted by painful truths that will soon surface with explosive force. When a new ghost appears, and Trenton begins to communicate with her, the spirit and human worlds collide—with cataclysmic results.
As we move from room
to room, the living and the
dead reveal secrets.
(passion4reading)

Wealthy Richard Walker has just died, leaving behind his country house full of rooms packed with the detritus of a lifetime. His estranged family -- bitter ex-wife Caroline, troubled teenage son Trenton, and unforgiving daughter Minna -- have arrived for their inheritance. But the Walkers are not alone.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,629,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible