Altered - Revelations of the Evolved (The…

Altered - Revelations of the Evolved (The Evolved Trilogy, #1) (edition 2012)

by Shawnda Currie

841,035,133 (4)None
Member:bookwormdreams
Title:Altered - Revelations of the Evolved (The Evolved Trilogy, #1)
Authors:Shawnda Currie
Info:Flea Circus Books (2012), Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Review Request, Self-Published

Altered: Revelations of the Evolved (Volume 1) by Shawnda Currie

Lacey is involved in a wrong place/wrong time type of crime and end up at a center for teenagers who have found themselves in trouble. Immediately the place is not what it seems. She learns that she has special abilities she finds herself as one of the people to help save the world from a disaster. I enjoyed parts of this book, but not all of it. The adventure parts of it felt very disconnected from the underlying love story. They just didn’t blend well together, but separately they were fine. I liked how this book got you hooked right away; I was immediately drawn in and interested in what would happen. It will be interesting to see how this trilogy turns out, but I wasn’t left desperate for the next one.

For a more in depth and personal review see my blog:
http://explanniefyfed.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-review-altered-revelations-of.ht... ( )
  afyfe | Jan 6, 2015 |
This review is from: Altered - Revelations of the Evolved (Kindle Edition)
Altered: Revelations of the Evolved by Shawnda Currie B007OUUBQW:
Lacey finds herself in JD after being abandoned by her parents. Her future seems bleak until she befriends Taylor and his friends.

Soon she finds herself in danger and Taylor (and his friends) are the only ones who can help her. It turns out she needs them more than she knew as she learns more about herself and her true purpose in life.
She is scared and confused but has no choice but to trust Taylor.

The bookcover looks homemade, dull and does nothing for the story. If it is, with a little practice and trying out various photo editors, it is possible to make professional looking covers.

After reading the book, I discovered the summary is too revealing. It needs a leave a little mystery. The script is not meant to tell the entire storyline in a nutshell. It is to tease or entice the reader to want to read the book, leaving the reader wanting to know more. While the script did encourage me to read the book, I was disappointed after reading the story that this was all there is.

I give the story 4 stars because regardless of the bookcover and the description, the writing is good and the story creative. I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next in the series. I found the story original. The writing easily flows which makes the read quick and enjoyable. I definitely recommend to those who like a little mystery mixed with a little romance. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Apr 26, 2014 |
This book is seriously worth getting but I can't get it here due to numerous reason. (Like I'm in the Asia Pacific so its not available.) = (

Its sad to see that Lacey is practically abandoned by her family and friends.
Her dad is an ass but its beautiful to see Lacey become a much stronger person.

The story line is SUPERB and I have put Shawnda Currie into my favourite author list.
There's tension and excitement in the story.
And....there's love~
*sigh*

And they went to Las Vegas!
*sigh*

And *sigh*
This story is amazing.
"5 HEARTS" or "5 STARS" or "2 Thumbs Up"

Sincerely and Truthfully,
Selina.
:D
http://booksandsweetepiphany.blogspot.com/2013/03/review-of-2-altered-revelation... ( )
  Selina.Marie.Liaw | Aug 2, 2013 |
I can honestly say that if I haven't received a review request by Shawnda Currie I would have never read Altered - Revelations of the Evolved. The cover is too plain and it would have never gotten my attention. It's a shame because hiding beside an ugly cover is a decent young adult paranormal novel that I think will be interesting for the fans of that genre.

Altered - Revelations of the Evolved has a lot of unexpected moments and twists, that is, if you haven't read the summary. Since the summary is literally the whole book. I kept waiting for something else to happen but all major twists in story are already told there. I hate it when summaries are too spoilerish, it really kills the tension in the story.

Lacey is introduced to us as a very interesting and unusual character. After all, she is on her way to juvenile detention center. But as the story progressed I just could not connect to Lacey. She suffered from Cinderella complex and had some very unfortunate statements that to me sounded like slut-shaming:
"My cheeks blushed as a fantasy danced in my head of my lips pressing against him. What was wrong with me? I wasn't a harlot who searched for guys to randomly hook up with, especially in a place like this."

Everything came too easy for Lacey. She was The One. She knew how to use her awesome psychic skills without much practice. Romance was too instant for my taste too. I would have liked to see her working harder to achieve this.

Also, I didn't approve of the 'Robin Hood' philosophy Lacey's friends promoted and she accepted without second thought. Stealing from corrupt corporations who didn't earn that money the honest way is still stealing and no higher cause can justify that action.

Most of the things that bothered me in Altered - Revelations of the Evolved are my personal conflicts with ya paranormal genre. I hoped there will be more science fiction but it's only mentioned that some characters came to the present via time travel and that was it.

Don't let me complaining cool you down (if you don't have the same pet peeves like me). For fans of ya paranormal genre who can look past the cover, there is a big chance that Altered - Revelations of the Evolved will be enjoyable read.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the author in exchange for a honest review. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Jun 27, 2013 |

Shawnda Currie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,214,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible