The Malice of Fortune by Michael Ennis

The Malice of Fortune

by Michael Ennis

English (13)  Dutch (2)  All languages (15)
Wonderful, intricate mystery set during the Renaissance and starring real-life figures like DaVinci, Machiavelli, and Pope Alexander.
  twopairsofglasses | Dec 24, 2013 |
Damiata, courtesan to the murdered Juan Borgia, favorite son of Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander VI) is being forced by the Pope, who is holding her 5-year-old son hostage at the Vatican, to find who ended his son’s life or be held ultimately responsible. Enlisting the help of Niccolo Machiavelli and Leonardo da Vinci, Damiata races against time to save her son from the clutches of the Borgias. Ennis weaves together an excellent puzzle, worthy of the infamous characters brought to life in The Malice of Fortune. More than half the story is narrated by Machiavelli, giving the reader an intricate look into the workings of his mind and that of Cesare Borgia (aka Valentino), the subject of the classic work The Prince. With the opulence and the brutality of Renaissance Italy as a backdrop, you’re bound to find yourself completely entranced.

This review was originally written for Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore. ( )
  retropelocin | Dec 19, 2013 |
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! Centered around the infamous Borgias of the Italian Renaissance, Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) and his two illegitimate sons Juan and Cesare, this tale is told by two narrators, Niccolo Machiavelli and a courtesan (the mother of Juan's son). She is forced to try and solve the mystery of Juan’s murder when the Pope ruthlessly kidnaps her and holds her son hostage. Many historical figures make appearances, including Leonardo Da Vinci, each with their own reasons for getting their hands on evidence pointing to Juan’s murderer, who it seems may also be a psychotic serial killer responsible for several other brutal murders.

I must preface this review with the fact that I listened to the audio ebook version of this title, and while it was difficult at first to understand the heavy Italian accent of the female narrator, once I got used to her cadence and pronunciation, as well as the liberal smattering of Italian mixed in, I loved it! (The male narrator of the second part is much easier to understand.) I could actually hear the music of the their accents echoing in my head long after having turned it off. This is not one to listen to lightly, however, and I do think it requires more concentration and effort than the average audio selection, especially if one has difficulty with accents, but I felt it was well worth that effort!

That being said, I think the telling of this story from two different viewpoints helps give a more complete picture. I loved the clever, independent, and resourceful female lead character. I found the juxtaposition of Da Vinci’s reliance on empirical measurement and experimentation with Machiavelli’s budding theories regarding the art and science of psychological profiling very interesting, bringing a contemporary slant to the historical time period. Never sure of just who to trust and filled with many twists and turns, this tale definitely reflects the turgid times of the Italian Renaissance with its constant shifting of enemies and allies. ( )
  michellebarton | Nov 13, 2013 |
This novel, set in the Italian renaissance with characters including the Borgias, Leonardo Da Vinci and, especially, Nicolo Machiavelli had me hooked after just 20 or so pages. Its a very well written, gripping thriller in which Machiavelli and ‘cortigiana onesta’ Damiata seek to solve the mystery of the murder of Juan Borgia. An absolute page turner. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Aug 22, 2013 |
This is a partial review, commenting only on the performance. I hope to be able to find and read a print copy of the book so I can comment on the plot and writing as well. The reviews of the story intrigued me, and it sounds as if it could be a good historical fiction thriller.

But at the moment, I am so put off by the female narrator that I don't think I can continue listening. WHO HIRED THIS WOMAN? She is clearly not a native speaker of the English language; perhaps she is Italian. She almost swallows Italian phrases and proper nouns (as I am guilty of doing with my own name when I introduce myself...because it's so familiar).

The majority of the text she reads is English, but her incredibly poor pronunciation makes me miss about 1 word in every 5. And since I'm listening on my iPod, I can't back up just a few seconds, I have to jump back to the beginning of a chapter. So I just let her go on and on, wondering if I am getting enough details to follow the story. Even the words I do understand are mangled. For example, the word "purchase" comes out "poor CHASE" with a long A.

Occasionally I hear a sentence that makes me smile in pleasure at the clever writing, the unexpected phrase that communicates beautifully and adds a bit of humor or insight. That's why I want to read the book in print, now. It just isn't worth it to struggle through this abysmal narration any more.

After posting this review, I learned that only Part I of the book was narrated by this woman. I persevered to get to the rest of the story. The other narrators were OK. But I had probably missed so much of the stage-setting in Part I that the story never really grabbed me. I did like the idea of a collaboration between Leonardo da Vinci the CSI-like scientist and Machiavelli the psychological profiler. That would make a terrific historical-fiction series! ( )
  SharronA | Mar 16, 2013 |
We lived in two rooms in the Trastevere.

Against a teeming canvas of Borgia politics, Niccolò Machiavelli and Leonardo da Vinci come together to unmask an enigmatic serial killer, as we learn the secret history behind one of the most controversial works in the western canon, The Prince...
When Pope Alexander dispatches a Vatican courtesan, Damiata, to the remote fortress city of Imola to learn the truth behind the murder of Juan, his most beloved illegitimate son, she cannot fail, for the scheming Borgia pope holds her own young son hostage. Once there, Damiata becomes a pawn in the political intrigues of the pope’s surviving son, the charismatic Duke Valentino, whose own life is threatened by the condottieri, a powerful cabal of mercenary warlords. Damiata suspects that the killer she seeks is one of the brutal condottierri, and as the murders multiply, her quest grows more urgent. She enlists the help of an obscure Florentine diplomat, Niccolò Machiavelli, and Valentino’s eccentric military engineer, Leonardo da Vinci, who together must struggle to decipher the killer’s taunting riddles: Leonardo with his groundbreaking “science of observation” and Machiavelli with his new “science of men.” Traveling across an Italy torn apart by war, they will enter a labyrinth of ancient superstition and erotic obsession to discover at its center a new face of evil—and a truth that will shake the foundations of western civilization.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385536313, Hardcover)

An Exclusive Essay by Author Michael Ennis

Michael Ennis

I began The Malice of Fortune with the rather modest ambition of writing a novel that featured Machiavelli as a detective; perhaps he could use the precepts of The Prince to solve a crime. As I dove into my research, I soon took particular interest in the closing months of the year 1502, when Machiavelli was a junior Florentine diplomat at the court of Cesare Borgia, the celebrated "Duke Valentino," who at the time was playing this deadly political chess game against a cabal of mercenary warlords known as the condottieri--a bloody political drama that Machiavelli would later place at the very center of The Prince.

Although Valentino's court was located in the remote fortress city of Imola during those final months of 1502, it attracted all sorts of interesting and nefarious characters, among them the Duke's innovative military engineer, Leonardo da Vinci. And after a little more digging, I discovered some intriguing connections between Leonardo and Machiavelli: they both abruptly left Duke Valentino's court shortly after the end of the year, under circumstances that historians have never fully understood, and then worked quite closely together in Florence. So clearly some mysterious and fraught relationship developed between them in Imola.

Still thinking in terms of a detective story, I envisioned something akin to a Holmes & Holmes partnership. Leonardo, who famously dissected corpses, could be a Renaissance forensic pathologist. As for Machiavelli, his political science is so deeply rooted in the study of human nature that he can also be considered a pioneer in the field of psychology. In fact, I was rather startled to learn that at the time he was working on The Prince, Machiavelli wrote a friend that when he entered his study, he imagined himself physically in the presence of prominent figures from history: "I converse with them and interrogate them about the motives for their actions. And they answer me--I get inside them completely." This sounded so uncannily like a modern criminal profiler that I just couldn't resist pushing the detective conceit a step further.

So here I started searching for a crime, but one based entirely on documented fact; if Leonardo's and Machiavelli's forensic abilities could be found in their actual studies, the crime – and the criminal – had to be equally authentic. I pored over five hundred year old cold cases and instead of just one crime, I discovered an entire "crime cluster" that began with the murder of the Pope's son in Rome, followed by a horrifying litany of related abductions, rapes, mutilations, and murders. As for the suspects, several powerful, violent men, most of them these mercenary condottieri, could be circumstantially linked to all the crimes. More remarkably still, each of these suspects is mentioned specifically by name in The Prince, all of them having played leading roles in the events at the end of 1502 – and all of them were known personally by both Leonardo and Machiavelli.

This evidence brought my sleuthing-geniuses premise squarely back into the domain of documented history: I had discovered a true crime story – involving, as it turns out, a brilliant serial killer--interlaced with one of history's pivotal political events. Although this was a story Machiavelli, for very good reasons, decided to keep to himself, The Prince contains artifacts of it, once you know what you are looking for. As Machiavelli confesses to us at the beginning of his narrative, there is a "terrifying secret I deliberately buried between the lines of The Prince." The words are my creation, but they are based on admissions that Machiavelli made later in his life. The truth that can be found between the lines of The Prince – a revelation of man's capacity for evil far more ghastly than anything Machiavelli wrote explicitly in the text--is no mere fictional invention. With consequences that have resounded throughout the subsequent course of Western culture and history, the dreadful secret of The Prince is all too real.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:39 -0400)

Machiavelli and Leonardo da Vinci team up to expose a serial killer when Pope Alexander dispatches a Vatican courtesan to discern the truth about his beloved illegitimate son's murder. Their investigation reveals the secret history behind the controversial political work, "The Prince."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible