The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A…

by Wendy Welch

Member:BLBera
Title:The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book
Authors:Wendy Welch
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read 2013, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Memoir, Books

The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book by Wendy Welch

A pleasant memoir about starting a used bookstore during "the death of the book." Some nice anecdotes, a few head-nodding moments about reading and books, and a handful of laugh-out-loud passages. Enjoyable, but somehow I never settled into the book as much as I would have liked. In the best memoirs of this sort, I start to feel a real kinship with the narrator and become deeply invested in their story. I never did that here, though I'm not entirely sure why, as nothing about the narrator's voice is irritating or off-putting. Recommended (despite my wee reservation) to anyone who thinks bookstores are pretty darn neat and would like to see them stick around. ( )
  lycomayflower | Feb 22, 2014 |
Engaging account of experiences starting and running a used book store. The thematic treatment is at times uneven: at points it is about the bookstore, at others the community in which the bookstore happened to exist. Granting an interrelationship, viewing the bookstore through the community is a different story than viewing the community through the bookstore, and these separate threads were not consistently distinguished.

We're told of financial challenges, but not many details (e.g., the author had outside employment, but we're not told doing what or how much that paid), so it was difficult to follow along on the path toward the store's solvency, and thus empathize with the author's concerns. We hear nothing, for example, about the food aspect of the bookstore's operations, other than that it exists.

I could have done without the last chapter when she lists books she likes and dislikes, which came off as a bit self-indulgent. If she wanted to give a "personal touch," it would perhaps have made better sense to give the oft-mentioned shortbread recipe! But despite these shortcomings, the overall impression is very pleasant. ( )
  dono421846 | Dec 6, 2013 |
Really liked the way it made you feel like you were right there. ( )
  libraryclerk | Aug 31, 2013 |
"We read books & tell stories to find each other" Wendy Welch. This is a definite find for lovers of people, books, bookstores and communities where people know and care about each other. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
An engaging and enjoyable memoir, one that will especially appeal to bibliophiles and lovers of bookstores like myself. I found the author's style occasionally annoying. Her obvious attempts to be clever grated on my nerves as was her need to remind readers of her advanced education. After seeing A Prayer for Owen Meaney on her "Top Ten Classics That Shouldn't Be" list, I wouldn't trust her judgement enough to ask for a recommendation. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Chronicles the efforts of the author and her husband to open and run a small bookstore in a struggling Virginia coal mining community, a pursuit challenged by the difficult economic environment, widespread transitions away from hard-copy books and numerous eccentric patrons.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible