Every Day by David Levithan

Authors:David Levithan
Info:Ember (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:obob '13

Every Day by David Levithan

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (216)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (220)
Interesting read - how would life work if you were a different person on the outside every day. Does a life like that even count? Who would know you were gone if you left? Could you form real friendships? What happens to the people whose life you "steal" for a day? ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |

What is it about the moment you fall in love? How can such a small measure of time contain such enormity?

Every Day is a moving book about A, who wakes up in a different body for one day only. The way that it's explained in the book is graspable, but it brings up questions that I'm seeking answers for. For example, if he was born that way, does that mean he wasn't actually born into the world, but instead... just ended up existing in that moment? If he was actually birthed, what happens to his body?

Anyway, the story and plot, despite unanswered questions, was perfectly executed. I absolutely loved the diversity of lives and seeing how each one lived was different from the next. It really makes you realize that not one life is the same as another... (More via website) ( )
  VesperDreams | May 20, 2018 |
Imagine waking up in a different body every day. “A” is a teenager who doesn’t have a body of “his” own. Every day he wakes up in a new town, in a new house, in a new body. Having no specific gender or ethnicity, “A” inhabits both boys and girls and may be white, black, Latino or any other ethnicity. For as long as “A” can remember he has always inhabited other people’s bodies. He moves through his life with no permanent home, family or friends. Over the years he has learned to accept his fate and do as little as possible to disrupt the life of his host until he meets Rhiannon, the girlfriend of one of his hosts. Since “A” is in control of the bodies he inhabits, he is able to arrange chance encounters with Rhiannon without revealing his true identity. When his feelings for her begin to consume his thoughts, “A” knows it’s time to tell Rhiannon the truth. Can he convince her to look past the outside to the person who exists on the inside? Can he find the permanence he so desperately craves?

Every Day, a YALSA popular paperback pick of 2014, is a story of conviction. Each chapter urges the reader to analyze his own opinions about the moral dilemmas people face every day. When tempted to judge a person by his appearance, Levithan suggests that people instead look at a person’s character. Through a fresh approach to teen literature, Levithan uses many different characters to illustrate the different issues facing teens. Sexual orientation, minority challenges, emotional stability, popularity, and beauty are some of the issues that he seamlessly slips into the plot. The main character, “A”, is the epitome of a nonjudgemental person, and teens will relate to him as the person that we should strive to be more like.

Although the many themes of the story come through effortlessly, the development of key characters, such as Rhiannon, is lacking. Some readers may come away from the story being confused or unconvinced by her actions. Despite this shortcoming, most teens will be more impressed with the plot. Due to mild sexual content and under-age drinking, this book is recommended for teens age 14 and up. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
Do you ever read a book and think: the author had so many possibilities staring him right in the face, but he made it a stupid love story instead??

That's how I feel about Every Day

The Writing and Worldbuilding

This is a fast-paced story, meaning that events happen in rather quick succession and do not tend to slow down for too long. However, sometimes the book was less fast-paced and more rushed. The first "day", for example, had a great deal of rushed narrative exposition and insta-love (my most hated trope and cliche). Idk what I expected, but it wasn't that, that's for sure. I guess I thought Levithan would have at least one day before the love interest was introduced, to introduce the main character and the world before diving face first into the plot. At the quarter mark, I almost DNF'd it, but decided not to since it was a recommendation. The rushed nature doesn't really improve.

I really don't like love stories being the A plot (pun intended). It really drags down the whole concept to just, oh, this is the story where this person is in a different body every day but instead of, idk, being psychologically interesting, they just pine after some random girl they saw in the first chapter because she had writing on her shoes. The B plot was really the highlight and I wish it was the A plot.

I thought there would be more development into Rhiannon's family life, but no, there was next to none. The whole book was basically will they, won't they? and I honestly couldn't care less.

The Characters

A: Definitely my favorite character, though given the competition, that doesn't really say much. They are consistent and kind. They make for a great narrator, I have to admit.

Rhiannon: I really don't like this girl. She's upset that A can't be with her even before she's actually broken up with Justin and after A basically forces her to break up with him, she only gets pissier. I get where she's coming from, but she's just really annoying and I don't like her.

Justin: He was just a classic jerk and I wish he had had a chance to possibly redeem himself or at least have a possibility to be humanized. Instead, he's just "the jerk" and not much else.

Nathan and Reverand Poole: Interesting characters! Why weren't they main characters?? IDK!! David Levithan doesn't want me to have nice things, apparently!

Conclusion

The book was good. I liked it and I might read the sequel, but I have a lot of other books I care more about on my TBR, so probably not. I don't want to be so negative with this book but I had no high expectations coming in, and the fact is, my low expectations were met, and that's sad. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Mar 30, 2018 |
From my previous experience with Dash and Lily’s book of dares, I came into this book knowing that I would probably be irritated by the things David Levithan writes. I wanted to read it nonetheless because the plot sounded extremely interesting and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was definitely a fun read, but again, I have a gripe with the author. I think he hits you over the head with being liberal but he remains extremely rude and judgmental. It was all very stereotypical and I hated the main character. He tells Rhiannon time and time again that he is the only person who can see how caring and beautiful she is and I’m just like STOP! He was taken aback when Rhiannon wouldn't kiss him when in a girl’s body and I get it. But for someone with a certain sexual identification, it can be weird kissing someone who you’re not sexually attracted to. A was domineering and shallow and I just didn't like it. ( )
  frailrouge | Mar 28, 2018 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible