Every Day by David Levithan

Collections:Your library, In the blog
Rating:*****
Tags:TextPub

Every Day by David Levithan

Recently added bymmacd3814, Floratina, SueStolp, erslaymaker, Bibi_EFG, sandrikoti, private library, Cmoore14
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (186)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (189)
Wow! I loved this. What if you woke up in a different person's body every morning? What if you fell in love and desperately wanted to be with that person? This is one of the most unusual stories I have ever read and one of the most memorable. I really cared about every person's story and loved A's (mostly) respectful and ethical approach to invading their lives. I was intrigued from the first page and was compelled to finish it as soon as possible which made me the most unsociable person for two days! It took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions and, while the ending was satisfying and sweet, it was also sad enough to bring a tear to my eye. Really, really good. Can't wait to read another David Levithan! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
A very different read for me, but nonetheless I was intrigued all throughout. Still not sure whether or not I agree with or wholeheartedly like the main two characters, and a little confused by that ending which was left a bit unresolved. ( )
  bubblyair | May 18, 2016 |
I borrowed this audio book from the library after seeing it while standing in line at a book store. The concept was intriguing to me, even though it was in the juvenile fiction section. I thought the author name sounded familiar and did look up some information about him on line before reading it, so I was somewhat prepared for the emphasis on gender issues. Despite the forewarning, I tired of the theme pretty quickly. It has been a long time since I read a book that distracted me away from the concept by pushing a specific platform. That said, the concept was interesting, and there were some gems provoking thought inside. The reader was very good. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
Hard to describe this (young adult) book, but it's the story of a being, A., who inhabits the body/life of another person his/her age every day of his/her life. It's been happening for as long as he/she can remember, though the story takes place during his/her 16th year. A. inhabits all genders and all types, from rich to poor, from skinny to fat, from jock to outcast... and A. kind of likes this life (partly because he knows no other) until A. meets Rhiannon -- and EVERYTHING changes. Fun, interesting, and good first love, coming of age story. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Feb 14, 2016 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,002,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible