Every Day by David Levithan

by David Levithan

Member:lk201317
Title:Every Day
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2012

Every Day by David Levithan

English (149)  Swedish (1)  All languages (150)
This is definitely a unique story, unlike any I had read before. The main character is a 16-year-old who wakes up each morning hosted in a different body. In one of the bodies, "A" discovers his true love and the course of his life is altered. I was always intrigued to find out who "A" would be each day, and I loved the different information that we learned about each host/body. It makes you think about how you view the world. I couldn't stop reading, and I love the ending.

This is definitely a high school book because of some sexual situations, although there is nothing graphic. Some readers may be uncomfortable with the main character being neither intrinsically male or female, and therefore homosexuality and bisexuality are explored. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
This book definitely lived up to the hype. A was such an honest and pure character. And I loved how he thought of the body, and how strongly our body can influence us and how we live. Beautiful story . . . ( )
  Kayla-Marie | Sep 27, 2014 |
A 16 year old boy who goes by the name of “A,” has never known what it’s like to live as himself. For some unknown reason, he has the ability to switch bodies randomly and does so on a daily basis.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/every-day-david-levithan/
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Interesting premise of a teenager who is in a different body each morning. Good stuff here for teens ranging from how we let our boyfriends treat us to suicide prevention, but by the same token enough nasty sexual stuff that probably not necessary for our collection. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Sep 18, 2014 |
Warning: May contain spoilers

For 16 years, A, has woke up in a different body. Every day. A different life, a different family, a different sex. He never connects, never lives long enough to. Until one day he wakes up as a boy named Justin. Instead of staying home and reading or playing video games like he normally does, he goes to school. Everything seems like a normal day until he meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.
A tries to stick to a persons life as much as possible, knowing that anything he does can effect them later on, but today is different. Today he see's something in Rhiannon and throws all his original rules into the wind.

Skipping school they spend the day at the beach, talking and laughing and both having one of the best days in a while, because Justin isn't a nice person to Rhiannon. A starts to feel something for her, even though he knows he shouldn't. Maybe its hope that things can get better, but when he looks at her he forgets who he is or should I say what.
The next day, he wakes up as a girl called Amy. Amy only lives an hour or two away from Rhiannon, and on the urge to see her again, A travels to her school as Amy, posing as someone who might be changing school and asks Rhiannon to show her around. With each passing moment A falls deeper for her and the next day, when he wakes up as a boy names Nathan, he cant help but see her again.
Only this time he makes mistakes. After 'kidnapping' Nathan and taking him to party to see Rhiannon, claiming he was someone's cousin and gay, he dances the night away with her. But when the party is about to be broken up he finally notices the time. 11:15. He needs to be back at Nathan's home and in bed by 12, only problem is Nathan lives an hour an a half away, so A's only option is to pull over on the side of the road and get Nathan out of harms way.

Waking up the next morning to an email from Rhiannon saying she knows he wasn't who he said he was, and an email from Nathan saying he knows what he did to him, he decides that its time to tell someone who he is. Thinking that Rhiannon can take it, he chooses her, and explains everything to her, telling her he wants to be with her.

My thoughts? this book was heartbreaking at times. Imagine being a toddler again and never sticking with one family for more than a day, screaming that you don't want to leave your parents at night? and trying everything to stay awake but failing. Imagine having no one to love or talk to about what's happening and being alone for 16 years, never making memories just living vicariously through others. I can not even begin to understand how it would feel to be that lonely, because everyone has someone to talk to right?.
I thought it was very well written, the characters well thought out and even though I know a lot of people didn't like the ending, I did. I thought it was the only way it could really turn out. All in all I thought this books was very good. (sorry the review isn't that great. there is a lot more to the book but I try not to give too much away haha. Also, even though A doesn't have a sex as such I refereed to A as a he because to me the character felt more like a male.) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

229 wanted6 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,334,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible