Every Day by David Levithan

2,1722022,989 (4.01)49
Member:lk201317
Title:Every Day
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2012

Every Day by David Levithan

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (198)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All (202)
it was unique and interesting and i liked it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I am reviewing these two novels together because they are books one and two; I think they should be only one book. For genre, we have an unusual supernatural romance.

Our main character has given herself/himself a name--A. Yes, one letter--A. You don’t find this out until later in the novel, but I’ll go ahead and mention it to make it easier for me. A is gender-less because A wakes up every day (hence the title of the book) in a new body. Her/his belief is to do no harm to the person, so A tries to be respectful and not create problems. Consequently, A has lived many lives--rich, poor, abused, sick, popular, bullied, fat, thin, athletic, etc. A doesn’t know why s/he is like this, but this transient body traveling life is all s/he knows--from birth! S/he cannot have a life because A is always someone else. A’s problem is that he/she has no friends or relationships because it’s impossible. One day, however, s/he meets Rhiannon when awakening in Justin’s body. A is smitten. Every day after that, A finds a way to get to Rhiannon, even telling her the truth about herself, and even if it creates problems for the body she’s inhabiting. Most people never know someone inhabited the body for the day except one person. This one person creates a huge problem for A, which could expose him/her.

The entire novel is from A’s point of view. I’ll be honest--I found it unbelievable that someone could be interested in A because A is always different; s/he changes genders, looks, etc. It truly shows that one would have to love the person and not the package. Rhiannon is a good person; she cares about people and is kind to them. Her boyfriend, however, is not so nice a guy. Justin is domineering, but Rhiannon says that A can’t understand their relationship.

Another Day is the exact same story except from Rhiannon’s point of view. The beginning was a little boring because it was their first date all over again. As the novel progresses, the reader sees how Rhiannon could fall for A. It’s much more believable that she has feelings for A when you hear her point of view.

I think there should have been alternating chapters in one novel, but perhaps having two separate novels made each character more focused for the reader. One student even mentioned that she preferred book two to book one. Both books end with the same cliff hanger, so there is a third book to be published at some point. As of this writing, there is no date. I did see a title: Some Day. This story is definitely an unusual romance but interesting. ( )
  acargile | May 31, 2017 |
Really enjoyed this book, great characters and interesting concept. Loved the writing style too. ( )
  ladykat | May 15, 2017 |
** spoiler alert ** So this book wasn't exactly what I had expected, based on what little I know of David Levithan's work. It wasn't super as gay as I was hoping, given that that is why I read it in the first place, and honestly A's pursuit of Rhiannon struck me as more creepy than lovely? For all that we read that A didn't disrupt the lives of those they visited/lived in, there was an awful lot of disrupting, and I really was left being like "okay maybe don't?" And as much as I appreciated the trans chapter, 1) it was 1000% written by a cis person and the parts where A was like "it's so hard and so brave to live this way" made me SUPER uncomfortable, and 2) Rhiannon misgendered that person and A didn't really correct her and it was also pretty gross? Which doesn't even touch on the fucking TERRIBLE fatshaming that happened in that chapter. It was super gross and made me really uncomfortable.

I think, ultimately, this book was kind of a letdown for a lot of reasons. It was nicely written--there were some really beautiful parts, but I think it could have been a much better book had it not actually been about a romance? I don't know, because I realize that would cut the heart out of the book, but there were so many things about it that made me uncomfortable, despite a nifty concept. ( )
  aijmiller | Apr 24, 2017 |

Amazingly interesting work.

Read the back for a summary.

My first reaction was complete love with the work and with A's life. By midway through, I was annoyed with A. He was selfishly hurting others and R. Eventually, as in all good young adult novels, he figured out what to do.

The best part of the book? All the different lives!! All the different teenagers! A mean girl, transgender girl, a loser boyfriend, a sheltered homeschooled kid, two burly football players, gay kids, straight kids, depressed kids, perfect kids, and hurting kids.

A redeemed himself (?) by the end. Interesting. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,067,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible