Every Day by David Levithan

by David Levithan

Member:lk201317
Title:Every Day
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2012

Every Day by David Levithan

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (brnoze)
    brnoze: Both books give a realistic look into the lives of smart, carefully constructed characters.
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (KatyBee)
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (TomWaitsTables)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These intense novels, both deeply emotional and empathetic, grapple with the concepts of identity and internal experience -- and in both books, the main characters are similarly trapped within their own minds, unable to fully share themselves with others.… (more)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (Othemts)
    The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although each of these thought-provoking, emotional reads requires substantial suspension of disbelief, both will entrance fans of character-centered fiction that explores complex philosophical ideas. Both books also employ somewhat experimental writing devices that should intrigue literary types.… (more)
    Fair Coin by E. C. Myers (TomWaitsTables)

English (168)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (170)
The narrator/protagonist is a spirit that moves from body to body every day. This science fiction/fantasy concept allow the author to ponder sex/gender issues as the teen age protagonist lives quite a few lives and provides many different homes and lives from the fictional internal observer's point of view. We see the protagonist fight to maintain a relationship for the first time over multiple days with a teen age girl. Although the protagonist has no particular gender preference I found myself thinking of the protagonist as male heterosexual but the author does an interesting job of maintaining the character. I was happily surprised to find this was the first of a series. The character has an interesting path ahead. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Recommended by Tawnya
This is one I want to read.
Sophia loved it last year.
Not for elementary school.
  RhondaHoward | Jul 22, 2015 |
Every Day the main character of this book wakes up in a new body and lives as this person as a day. In one particular body, he meets a girl and falls in love and tries to find a way for them to be together even though the main character will never be in the same body but is the same spirit. The author flawlessly creates a world where the body snatching occurs and it makes the reader feel like it could actually happen. Throughout the book you are antsy to find out if the main character and the girl he falls in love with can be together. I highly recommend this to anyone older than fourteen. ( )
  nickycook7 | Jul 21, 2015 |
SciFi, identity, gender, love
  Jquimbey | Jul 11, 2015 |
Special features:
*Diverse topics including depression, popularity, loneliness, homosexuality, love, etc
*Short, quick chapters

How I might use this book:
*Good for reluctant readers
*Good for at risk, minority group students
*Introduce format/writing style as a prompt for writing assignment ( )
  tawnyao | Jul 7, 2015 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

475 wanted7 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,465,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible