Every Day by David Levithan

by David Levithan

Member:alle72998
Title:Every Day
Authors:David Levithan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:paranormal, love, switching bodies

Every Day by David Levithan

English (145)  Swedish (1)  All languages (146)
Warning: May contain spoilers

For 16 years, A, has woke up in a different body. Every day. A different life, a different family, a different sex. He never connects, never lives long enough to. Until one day he wakes up as a boy named Justin. Instead of staying home and reading or playing video games like he normally does, he goes to school. Everything seems like a normal day until he meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.
A tries to stick to a persons life as much as possible, knowing that anything he does can effect them later on, but today is different. Today he see's something in Rhiannon and throws all his original rules into the wind.

Skipping school they spend the day at the beach, talking and laughing and both having one of the best days in a while, because Justin isn't a nice person to Rhiannon. A starts to feel something for her, even though he knows he shouldn't. Maybe its hope that things can get better, but when he looks at her he forgets who he is or should I say what.
The next day, he wakes up as a girl called Amy. Amy only lives an hour or two away from Rhiannon, and on the urge to see her again, A travels to her school as Amy, posing as someone who might be changing school and asks Rhiannon to show her around. With each passing moment A falls deeper for her and the next day, when he wakes up as a boy names Nathan, he cant help but see her again.
Only this time he makes mistakes. After 'kidnapping' Nathan and taking him to party to see Rhiannon, claiming he was someone's cousin and gay, he dances the night away with her. But when the party is about to be broken up he finally notices the time. 11:15. He needs to be back at Nathan's home and in bed by 12, only problem is Nathan lives an hour an a half away, so A's only option is to pull over on the side of the road and get Nathan out of harms way.

Waking up the next morning to an email from Rhiannon saying she knows he wasn't who he said he was, and an email from Nathan saying he knows what he did to him, he decides that its time to tell someone who he is. Thinking that Rhiannon can take it, he chooses her, and explains everything to her, telling her he wants to be with her.

My thoughts? this book was heartbreaking at times. Imagine being a toddler again and never sticking with one family for more than a day, screaming that you don't want to leave your parents at night? and trying everything to stay awake but failing. Imagine having no one to love or talk to about what's happening and being alone for 16 years, never making memories just living vicariously through others. I can not even begin to understand how it would feel to be that lonely, because everyone has someone to talk to right?.
I thought it was very well written, the characters well thought out and even though I know a lot of people didn't like the ending, I did. I thought it was the only way it could really turn out. All in all I thought this books was very good. (sorry the review isn't that great. there is a lot more to the book but I try not to give too much away haha. Also, even though A doesn't have a sex as such I refereed to A as a he because to me the character felt more like a male.) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
It's almost like a YA version of Ken Grimwood's Replay. ( )
  HiroProtagonist | Aug 23, 2014 |
David Levithan is slowly starting to become my favourite author. Yet again,thisnovel is horrible and mademe terribly sad. Why would anyone want to read this? GO READ IT.

Rating: 4,5/5 amazing. mindblowing. sad.

What it's about: A is an ordinary teen. Well, except for the fact that for some reason he can't seem to stay in the same body for more than one day. That turns out to be somewhat inconvenient for him, but overall it's ok. Until he falls in love.

Characters: 4/5

I am blown away by how well David Levithan is able to pose as a teen. Reading about A is intimate. It makes you feel like you're snooping in someone's diary. A is such a beautifully developed character and every single one of the people he inhabites stayed with me. The diversity in this novel is remarkable. Boys and girls of every possible sexual orientation, poc, so many different personalities, I just. Wow. This novel makes it hard not to grow fond of each and every character. But to be honest, he made it too easy for Rhiannon to believe A that he changes bodies every day. Showing up as two different people doesn't prove anything. In that respect Rhiannon was pretty naive. Also, I didn't grow particularly fond of her, which is of course highly subjective and does not underminde A as a genius character. You're going to love him.

Plot 3/5:

It's difficult to critique the plot because the novel is basically a diary. Snapshots of his life that are all a bit random but after you've read it all, seem to fit together perfectly. It revolves around A's love interest and usually I'd be annoyed by that, but Levithan actually justifies the pure romance plot with his beautiful,beautiful writing. And also the fact that there is little to no physical contact between the two, What makes the story so unique and different from all other romance novels that there are out there, is the fact that most of the falling-in-love happens when they aren't together. A made me admire Rhiannon by his words and thoughts, even though when she appeared, I wasn't intrigued at all. The ending was inevitable and I bow to Mr Levithan that he had the strength to write it like this instead of giving it a cheesy ending. Of course it left me there standing, wanting more, and needing to know what happens now, but I fear I will never know. These are the kind of novels that stay with you and solely for that, it already deserves your recognition.

Writing 5/5:

Pitch-perfect teen voice, down to the point, no rambling. I love Levithan's writing. There's nothing more pleasant than a clear writing voice.

Overall: Do I recommend?

Well, if you've read the entire critique, you probably already know that I might show up on your doorstep and slam the book into your face, if you don't decide to read it on your own. Levithan gives the diversity that we need in this day and age (in all his works!) and delivers is beautifully in a sad romance story, that isn't really a romance after all. I need you all to give it a try.This novel is simply amazing.

Originally published on my blog www.bookavid.tumblr.com ( )
  bookavid | Aug 21, 2014 |
I think this had the perfect ending, although it wasn't at all what I had expected. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I remember watching a review over this book a while back by one of my favorite booktubers on YouTube. It sounded interesting but I never bothered to look for it, until I happened to see it in my local library. I am so glad that I did.
I am usually wary when I read a book and the character immediately falls in love within the first chapter, but this time, it was different. "A" changes bodies every day. As in, he is some type of consciousness or soul that wakes up in a different body every day. "A" usually tries his best to act like if he's not a completely different person whenever in a new body. A doesn't interfere, doesn't get attached, A is just a visitor, for one day, in a person's life. One day, he wakes up as Justin. Justin has a girlfriend named Rhiannon. They're relationship isn't that great, A notices this from the moment he see's her cautious behavior around him. It appears that Justin isn't that nice to Rhiannon, whom is actually a wonderful person, and A ends up breaking all his rules in order to make her feel special, resulting in A falling in love with a girl he's probably never going to see again since he'll wake up in a different body the next day. His love for Rhiannon is overwhelming, so A starts to break a few more rules. Recklessness ensues, and the novel goes on from there.
I never fell in love with Rhiannon the way A fell in love with her. But I sometimes liked her better than A. A came off as obsessive at times. There were moments that, had I been in Rhiannon's place, I wouldn't have been scared off by the sheer strangeness of A's situation but by the fact that A was being just plain creepy. But somehow, I became attached to their relationship. I guess I felt sorry for A. I feel like A needed this. It's not fair that A doesn't get to have a life of their own.
I enjoyed the mystery behind it all. What was going to happen next? Where would A end up? What obstacles was A going to endure? My favorite "days" were when A awoke in the body of a drug addict, a girl suffering from depression, and an underage illegal immigrant that was a maid, but also was on her period. These were raw and shocking. I love that it was explained that these things are not things you can control. It's our bodies that have taken over our lives, that have taken control. I love how A handled all of them. A fought through those days, fought through the things that these people have to endure much longer than A ever will, and A did it without warning. It was emotionally draining, I felt myself holding my breath. I even cried at the end of the day that involved the girl with depression. It was too real.
I liked the fact that there was a lot of representation of the LGBTQA community. There was a gay couple, a lesbian couple, a couple with a girl and a boy trapped in a girl's body, and of course there was A, having no gender at all, no preference. I don't think I've ever read a book so focused on gender fluidity, or neutrality, though I'm sure there's more out there. I read in a review earlier that apparently it's a problem that all of the "happy" relationships in the book were LGBTQA and all the ones with problems were hetero. I couldn't help but thinking, "gee, I wonder what's that like? I wonder what it must feel like to read a book and not feel accurately represented?" (I hope you can sense my sarcasm.)
I was left with a lot of questions about who A really is. Where does he come from? Is there a point in his existence? Where will he end up? There's a moment where something drastic about A's identity reveals itself towards the end, but it only left me with more questions. I am aware there is a prequel but I am also aware that it answers no questions, just gives you a couple extra days with A. I've heard rumors of there being an actual sequel. It seems as though there's a lot of people upset about this, that this book should remain a stand alone. If the circumstances were different, I would agree. It would have done really well as a stand alone novel but there were just too many loose ends. Supposedly the sequel will be called "Rhiannon". This worries me because I don't particularly care what happens to Rhiannon afterwards. I want to know more about A. I hope the sequel answers these questions rather than handing me an entirely different story that will only annoy me.
The end of this book is heart wrenching. I finished it at four in the morning because I simply could not put it down. When it ended, I felt like crying. I walked to my bed, laid down, and for a moment I felt as though I was having some sort of existential crisis. I felt sad and scared. When I woke up I felt like something was wrong. There was an emptiness inside me and I finally realized just how much the book affected me. I still feel unsure of what is really bothering me, but all I can say is that this must have been one hell of a book to leave me feeling like this. That is why I gave Every Day five stars. There aren't enough things in this book that bothered me to even remove one star. As a matter of fact, I don't even think there is a single thing I disliked. There were things I wasn't crazy about, but still enjoyed. I absolutely recommend this book to...everyone. ( )
  nikkiplusbooks | Aug 1, 2014 |
For Paige (May you find happiness every day)
I wake up.

Every morning A wakes in a different person's body, in a different person's life, learning over the years to never get too attached, until he wakes up in the body of Justin and falls in love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307931889, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Every Day is technically for young adults, but the premise of this unusual book goes much deeper. It asks a question that will resonate with the young and old alike: Can you truly love someone regardless of what they look like on the outside? The main character, A, wakes up every morning in a different body. Day to day, A can be male or female, any ethnicity, any size, and in any type of household. The only constant is that he (we'll go with that pronoun for convenience) is 16. A has been body jumping for as long as he can remember, and he has learned to not leave behind any trace of his presence--until he meets Rhiannon. For the first time in his life, A feels a true connection with another person. But can she love him back? Levithan handles their romance with great aplomb, building to a poignant and beautiful ending that took my breath away. --Caley Anderson

Amazon Exclusive: Day 5909, a Story by Author David Levithan

Every morning, [the book's main character] A wakes up in a different body and a different life. The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A's life. For this story, I wanted to go back to a day in A's life before Every Day. Think of this as A recounting a few passing moments from his past.

--David Levithan

Download the short story [PDF]

An Essay from the Author: A Similar Kind of Love Song

Recently I was reading an interview in OUT magazine with Romy Madley Croft, the lead singer of the band the xx. Croft, talking about coming out, told the reporter, “If I was singing about a guy, I would probably be singing a similar kind of love song, really.” And I was struck that the same thing applied to my writing—especially with my new book, Every Day.

Every Day is about A, who wakes up each morning in a different body and a different life. It’s not giving anything away to say that in the first chapter, A falls in love with a girl name Rhiannon . . . and that their relationship is rather complicated.

So there I was—a gay man, writing from the point of view of a character who is neither gay or straight, male or female. A has no inherent race, no inherent religion. A has grown up without friends, without family. A is purely a self. Whereas I, in my culturally and societally constructed life, am not.

It should have been hard to write as A, but it wasn’t. Because I found that, no matter which body A was in, I was singing a similar kind of love song.

Ever since Boy Meets Boy, my first novel, was published, I’ve received thousands of letters and emails from readers. Some of the most interesting ones have been from people who were surprised that they, non-gay or non-male, identified so deeply with the love story. Love is love, more than one reader wrote to me. And I thought, yes, that’s it exactly. (I almost want to put it as a tip on my website, for all those students who write to me telling me their teacher has assigned them to identify the central theme in my work. Well, there it is. Love is love.)

In Every Day, I wanted to look at that theme from a variety of angles. I wanted to test that theme, and find its limitations. Where A starts in Every Day is where many of my other characters—my will grayson in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, for example—reach at the end of my other novels. That is, they recognize that in order to love and be loved, they must be true to themselves. A is always true in this way. Writing A made me realize that this is one of the more helpful questions you can ask about love—if I were truly myself, only myself, and not a gender, and not a sexual orientation, and not a race, and not any other external designation . . . what would I want? What would I do?

A gets to live this ideal. But Rhiannon, who doesn’t change bodies, is challenged to match it. This is the great conflict in the book, and informs one of the questions I posed to myself as I wrote it: Does love indeed conquer all? Or, in other words, does our world always allow love to be love?

Again, I come back to that phrase “a similar kind of love song.” I like that she doesn’t make them the same. I like that they’re similar. There are certainly different challenges, at some times, in some places, with a gay love story. I often try to illuminate that experience in my writing. But there are also the same universal emotions. Joy is joy. Fear is fear. Vulnerability is vulnerability. Just like music is music, writing is writing, and love is love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

229 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible