The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by Alexander…

The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Title:The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Little, Brown (2012), Paperback
Tags:Mystery, Cozy

The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by Alexander McCall Smith (2012)

Recently added byINorris, private library, happy_hoosier, TCK, InezGard, Sigrid_Dixon, BeckyJP, karenchase
    The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency / Tears of the Giraffe / Morality for Beautiful Girls / The Kalahari Typing School for Men / The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith (4leschats)
    4leschats: This other series by AMS includes the gentle read, moral and philosophical aspects of the Isabel Dalhousie series
    Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith (4leschats)
    4leschats: Like the Dalhousie books, this series explores the relationships and intersections of a group of people.

English (17)  French (1)  All languages (18)
I think I'm done with Isabel Dalhousie. I appreciate the premise, but I haven't found anything new or particularly interesting in these stories lately. Isabel has the same moral dilemmas, the same abashed joy at her great fortunes in life and love. Not that I relish conflict, quite the contrary-- I am happy to read fiction in which there is no threat of violence or misery. But Isabel's constant narrative-killing musings are distracting and I find myself skimming over them. And without them, the narrative is really quite thin. The tics Smith employs in his dialogue are becoming more pronounced as well, and I find them sort of annoying now. Anyway, for those who find Isabel Dalhousie delightful, this one will not disappoint. Another arty mystery to solve, and plenty of moral dilemmas as well ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
These books have the charm of the Scots—and Charlie the olive lover is a great toddler. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
This book was surprisingly good. It was low suspense and thus created minimal anxiety yet still provided the right level of interest. It was a great read for just relaxing. ( )
1 vote marty76 | Dec 6, 2014 |
My only regret in finishing this book is that it seems to be the last of this series and I'll miss Isabel Dalhousie, Charlie, Grace and Jamie. I enjoy listening to the books to hear the accents but I seem to miss things occasionally. I don't actually know if they mentioned which Poussin it was, but I looked him up and didn't really care that much for his paintings, as much as the other artist AMS has his characters rave over. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 10, 2014 |
This book is for Edward and Maryla Green.
'Mozart,' said Isabel Dalhousie.

Nothing captures the charm of Edinburgh like the bestselling Isabel Dalhousie series of novels featuring the insatiably curious philosopher and woman detective.  Whether investigating a case or a problem of philosophy, the indefatigable Isabel Dalhousie, one of fiction’s most richly developed amateur detectives, is always ready to pursue the answers to all of life’s questions, large and small.

In this latest installment of Alexander McCall Smith’s endearing Isabel Dalhousie series, the Edinburgh philosopher and amateur sleuth answers an unexpected appeal from a wealthy Scottish collector who has been robbed of a valuable painting.

One afternoon over coffee at Cat’s delicatessen, a friend of Isabel’s shares a call for help from Duncan Munrowe. Crafty thieves have stolen a prized painting from his collection, a work by the celebrated French artist Nicolas Poussin that was earmarked for donation to the Scottish National Gallery. Munrowe has been approached by the thieves and hopes that Isabel will assist him in recovering the painting. Never one to refuse an appeal, she agrees, and discovers that the thieves may be closer to the owner than he ever would have expected.

Against the backdrop of this intriguing case, Isabel copes with life’s issues, large and small. She and Jamie have begun to suspect that their three-year-old son, Charlie, might be a budding mathematical genius. What should be done about it? Then there is the question of whether Isabel should help a young couple who want to move in together—against the wishes of the girl’s parents. The boyfriend is hoping Isabel might intercede.

As she wrestles with these problems, Isabel finds herself tested as a parent, a philosopher and a friend. But, as always, she manages to use the right combination of good sense, quick wits and a kind heart to come to the right solution, proving once again why Isabel Dalhousie has become one of Alexander McCall Smith’s most beloved characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

Investigating the theft of a valuable painting that was supposed to be donated to the Scottish National Gallery, Isabel harbors a growing suspicion that the thieves may be close to the painting's wealthy owner.

20 wanted3 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,786,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible