What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

What I Didn't Say (edition 2012)

by Keary Taylor

Member:kazhout
Title:What I Didn't Say
Authors:Keary Taylor
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 326 pages
Rating:*****

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

This one had me reaching for the tissues. It's very difficult to learn a lesson the hard way, especially when you have to live with that lesson everyday. It can be even more difficult when you are the lesson for others, although, Jake did handle that part maturely and graciously. Jake Hayes was a typical teenager, loves sports and hanging out with friends, an overhaul good kid, a good kid who made a one time mistake of getting into a car with someone under the influence of alcohol and drugs, and using a cell phone at the same time. It was the trifecta of stupid mistakes. Jake's accident left him without the use of his voice, he will never be able to talk again for the rest of his life.

When Jake wakes to hear how in one night his life will be changed forever, he tries to come to terms with the idea that his biggest dreams and deepest desires might not ever be realized. He has to make a decision on either to be strong or wallow. He knows how easy it would be to choose the latter. He had big dreams of the future and struggled with the idea he has to alter them but of all his dreams his biggest regret was not telling Samantha Shay how he felt about her since the first day he met her. He has been smitten with Sam since the first day of freshman year and had felt too intimidated to tell her.

Jake's eyes were opened after his accident and he was able to really see Sam, and how much she has changed in the past months where before he didn't take much notice. Samantha wasn't the same girl he's been in love with, her appearance and social life has had a drastic change. Samantha herself was going through a dark time in her life and getting close to her made Jake realize that he still has a lot to be thankful for in his life. Samantha became a rock for Jake and in turn he became a rock for her. They both had to learn how to make it through the tribulations life has thrown their way.

Jake had a lot to deal with as well as some disfigurement to his psychical appearance and some health issues. But for the most part after the initial sympathy, pity, and disappointment in the eyes of his family and friends, and the regret and anger he felt towards himself, Jake was fortunate. He had the support of his entire community and the normalcy his family and close friends brought to his situation also helped him cope a lot. Through his relationship with Samantha he gained strength and a friend that made him see that he still has his life, his family and their love.

It was very brave of Keary Taylor to write a very bold story on such a difficult topic. She wasn't afraid to go there, she didn't take the easy way out and make Jake have a broken arm that he would recover from and say lesson learned. The truth is that more often than not people don't tend to come back whole or at all from drunk driving accidents. She was able to show through her writing the after effects such a tragedy can have on the individual and his family and friends. So cudos Keary Taylor for taking on a risky topic for a story that was written so compellingly, and beautifully. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
See the full review on Short & Sweet Reviews.

This book was a very quick read. You get sucked into the story and Jake's narration very quickly. The author does a great job at keeping the pace moving forward, even when Jake is sinking down into depression after his life drastically changes. I liked having the change of pace of seeing a male narrator. It was nice to hear a different voice for once, especially in what is mostly a teen romance novel. Usually it's the girl who is doing the pining over a boy she doesn't think will ever care about her, and the situations are reversed here. The location, a small island off the coast of Washington, makes for an interesting setting. The community is tight-knight and really bands together after Jake's accident. After reading several books where it seems like the main character is abandoned after bad things happen, it was great to read about people supporting someone in their time of need, even if that person doesn't really want their help.

I thought the romance blossoming between Jake and Sam was very sweet and realistic. I like the fact that it wasn't a book about people wanting to change someone else -- Jake loves Sam because she's the smartest girl in school and doesn't try to change that or take her away from her studies. Of course, their relationship is fraught with miscommunication. It's realistic for teenagers but was frustrating to read sometimes. I kind of wanted to shake the book (well, my Kindle) and ask them what they were doing. As a reader, I had a lot of ideas for how the characters should have handled some of the situations that came up, but then again, I don't know that I would have done things any differently as a 17/18 year old. But still, you spend a lot of time going just ask for help, come on! which can be a bit of a distraction. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
Wow. Just. Wow. I'm speechless. Again. I don't read the summary, so I don't know what this one is all about when I started reading it. But there's something that captured my interest in the beginning of the book. I can't quite name it but I know that I should read it all.

I was devastated when the accident happened to Jake. And because of that accident, he could no longer talk since his vocal chords was removed because it was severely damaged and irreparable. That is really hard. Not being able to talk forever. I would die if that happens to me. I would succumb to the dark side of life. I love to talk, as most of my friends already know. I could talk non-stop for hours and my throat would be hoarse after. So imagining that situation of Jake? A very hard change in life.

What I like about this book is that there's a real life lesson after finishing the book. It teaches us that drinking and/or getting high while driving is really NOT a very good idea. This shows how Jake tried to be better and not to give up. With the help of Sam, together they tried to overcome the trials put in their way.

This book really teared me up. I can't imagine all their problems. And I like how the people in the island support one another. It's really sweet they did that. I love how Jake's family are to one another. This book is heartwarming and makes me feel really blessed to have all my senses, my family, boyfriend and friends who'll always be there, all of the good things I have. And we should really not count the things we don't have because it will just make us feel depressed and all. Instead count the things WE DO HAVE as of the moment. :) ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Free from Amazon. A sweet book about a young man (Spoilers) who loses his vocal cords and a young woman (Spoilers) who has her own problems.
  franoscar | May 5, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,616,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible