The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee: An…

The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee: An Origami Yoda Book (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tom Angleberger

Member:lisa_a_hobbs
Title:The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee: An Origami Yoda Book
Authors:Tom Angleberger
Info:Amulet Books (2012), Edition: Third Edition, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:friendship, journal, middle school, funny

The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger (2012)

Another good installment in the series. And he spelled Wookiee right! ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
ANNOTATION: Middle school students and their origami-puppet characters from the Star Wars series take turns telling their versions of the realistic events taking place in their school and their lives. GRADE LEVEL: 3-6. LANGUAGE CONVENTIONALITY AND CLARITY: vocabulary is not challenging. POINT OF VIEW: Alternating narrators require students to follow multiple perspectives. ILLUSTRATIONS: Doodles and humorous drawings, etc. are throughout, enhancing the humorous tone of the book. APPENDIX: Includes instructions for folding the Fortune Wookiee finger puppet. READ THIS IF YOU LIKE...:"Diary of a Wimpy Kid"
  HCCrittendenLibrary | Jun 12, 2013 |
This third in the [b:The Strange Case of Origami Yoda|7150174|The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda #1)|Tom Angleberger|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328813137s/7150174.jpg|7415356] series will not leave fans disappointed. Now that Dwight's transfered to Tippett Academy, Tommy and the gang at McQuarrie Middle School have resigned themselves to a colorless, Origami Yoda-less school year. But wait! Sara arrives at school one day with a fortune Wookiee that Dwight gave her to serve as their source of inspiration in Origami Yoda's absence. Chewie the fortune Wookiee is basically a cootie catcher. And of course, since Chewbaccca's speech is unintelligible to most of us, finger puppet Han Foldo is there to interpret. Once again, students can voice their concerns and allow the wisdom of Star Wars characters to guide them. BUT-- all is still not well. Various Dwight-sightings have Tommy and his friends concerned: Dwight seems to have ditched Origami Yoda, and he's acting way too normal. Can his friends do an intervention to bring the real Dwight back? Will Principal Rabbski get her way and ban further origami from the halls of McQuarrie Middle School? Will the newly-implemented FUNTIME! (replacement of art, music, and other electives with time devoted to bringing standardized testing scores up) suck the remaining life out of everyone? The cliffhanger ending keeps the humor and excitement going till the very last page, but sadly means that all of Tom Angleberger's fans will have to wait until the fourth installment for these answers. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
So, thanks to work-related deadlines and I have too many books to read in a short amount of time (why does everything come out in September, why?), I broke my rule about not starting series in the middle. We’ve gotten in the other Origami Yoda books in at work, and I’ve made mental notes to check them out, but I just never gotten around to doing so before we returned them.

That said, this was a solid read, and one that I was able to plow through pretty quick. I liked the journalistic style, I thought the kids were fun and they all had their own distinct voices (as well as page font, but you could tell who was talking without noticing the change in typesetting). The plot is a little thin, but I’m chalking that more to the fact that I haven’t read the previous two books, and so I don’t know the full story behind Dwight and the Origami Yoda. The message is very much a diatribe against schools cutting the arts and killing kids’ creative in order to focus on testing. (Which isn’t a bad message, but it does have a very anvilicious feel to it.) The only thing I don’t really like with the book overall is that the main characters feel cheated that the person behind the Fortune Wookie was Sarah and that she was dispensing girl advice. I liked the portrayal of nerdy girls in this book, but I don’t like the idea that “Oh, well, her advice is more manipulative than the kind Dwight gives.” It doesn’t outright say it, but that’s what it felt like to me.

It’s a solid read, and while I’m not entirely with the end, I’m going to go back and read the earlier books, if only to get a better grasp on the plot.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
A story about a fortune teller who can predict peoples fortunes! Has a lot of "Star Wars" included. A good book to teach about adjectives and plot. ( )
  sdpugh | Mar 28, 2013 |

McQuarrie Middle School's students miss Origami Yoda when Dwight leaves for Tippett Academy, but he sends Sara a paper Fortune Wookiee that seems to give advice just as good as Yoda's--even if, in the hands of girls, it seems preoccupied with romance.… (more)

85 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,470,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible