A Testament of Devotion by Thomas R. Kelly

A Testament of Devotion

by Thomas R. Kelly

This book contains six essays: A Biographical Memoir by Douglas Steele, The Light Within, Holy Obedience, The Blessed Community, The Eternal Now and Social Concern and The Simplification of Life.
The power and appeal of this book is seen by the fact that it has remained in print from 1941 to the present (2018).
Kelly uses the voice of mid and late 20 century Quaker. ( )
  PJCWLibrary | May 22, 2018 |
By Denomination > Christian Life > Christian Living > Christian practice and observance > Other Christian Sects > Quaker > Religion
  FHQuakers | Feb 13, 2018 |
This is a 1st edition and may have some value. If you wish to borrow it, please ask librarian
  KingsbridgeQuakers | Mar 2, 2017 |
One of my all-time favorite devotional/inspirational works. ( )
  vquakerb | Feb 14, 2017 |
Here is my blog review:

I really loved this little book! ( )
  Carolfoasia | Jun 14, 2016 |

Kelly, Thomas R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, Richard J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Since its first publication in 1941, A Testament of Devotion, by the renowned Quaker teacher Thomas Kelly, has been universally embraced as a truly enduring spiritual classic. Plainspoken and deeply inspirational, it gathers together five compelling essays that urge us to center our lives on God's presence, to find quiet and stillness within modern life, and to discover the deeply satisfying and lasting peace of the inner spiritual journey. As relevant today as it was a half-century ago, A Testament of Devotion is the ideal companion to that highest of all human arts-the lifelong conversation between God and his creatures.

I have in mind something deeper than the simplification of our external programs, our absurdly crowded calendars of appointments through which so many pantingly and frantically gasp. These do become simplified in holy obedience, and the poise and peace we have been missing can really be found. But there is a deeper, an internal simplification of the whole of one's personality, stilled, tranquil, in childlike trust listening ever to Eternity's whisper, walking with a smile into the dark."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible