The Last Policeman

by Ben H. Winters

Series: The Last Policeman (1)

1,7121687,412 (3.83)1 / 266
When the Earth is doomed by an imminent and unavoidable asteroid collision, New Hampshire homicide detective Hank Palace considers the worth of his job in a world destined to end in six months and investigates a suspicious suicide that nobody else cares about.
    Countdown City by Ben H. Winters (sturlington)
    sturlington: Countdown City is the sequel to the Last Policeman
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Noir mysteries exploring interesting hypothetical settings with ticking timers.
    The Fractal Murders by Mark Cohen (JanesList)
    JanesList: I can't explain quite why, but these two detectives remind me of each other.
    We all looked up by Tommy Wallach (meggyweg)

Delightfully noir—on top of the clear dystopia. Not my usual sort of book, generally, but I'm intrigued by the premise and by the main character, and I've queued up the remaining two books in the trilogy. ( )
  Karzke | Apr 10, 2021 |
The book had an interesting premise but it didn't hold my attention. I could have sworn this was written by a Scandinavian author and had to constantly remind myself that this occurs in America. The horror of knowing that an asteroid was headed to earth and all would die in six months lead to a huge breakdown in communications, transportation, and of course law enforcement so trying to solve a murder was quite a challenge. And did it even matter? To Detective Hank Palace it did. ( )
  juju2cat | Feb 14, 2021 |
I quit reading this midway when I realized I was just slogging through in order to finish. Not a bad concept, but I couldn't decide if it was meant to be humorous or not... all that dysfunctional family stuff both inside his department and in his family (sister) was just plain annoying. The writing was mediocre- not interesting enough to push the poor plot. ( )
  keithostertag | Feb 2, 2021 |
Really, really great. Winters spins a compelling mystery story against the backdrop of the approach of the apocalypse. The blurb on the back about it being sadly beautiful or whatever is exactly right, and I'm looking forward to the next mystery. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
A very interesting story, very well told. Highly recommend this book. ( )
  gullevek | Dec 15, 2020 |

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pushnik, JonathanCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"Even for Voltaire, the supreme rationalist, a purely rational suicide was something prodigious and slightly grotesque, like a comet or a two-headed sheep." -- A. Alvarez, The Savage God: A Study of Suicide
"And there's a slow, slow train comin', up around the bend." -- Bob Dylan, "Slow Train"
To Andrew Winters, of the Concord Winters
I'm staring at the insurance man and he's staring at me, two cold gray eyes behind old-fashioned tortoiseshell frames, and I'm having this awful and inspiring feeling, like holy moly this is real, and I don't know if I'm ready, I really don't.

What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die? Detective Hank Palace has asked this question ever since asteroid 2011L47J hovered into view. Several kilometers wide, it’s on a collision course with planet Earth, with just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. Industry is grinding to a halt. Most people have abandoned their jobs. But not Hank Palace. As our story opens, he’s investigating the latest suicide in a city that’s full of suicides—only this one feels wrong. This one feels like homicide. And Palace is the only one who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die?

The Last Policeman offers a story we’ve never read before: A police procedural set on the brink of an apocalypse. What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben H. Winters's book The Last Policeman was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,131,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible