The Last Policeman by Ben Winters

The Last Policeman (edition 2012)

by Ben Winters

Member:JBD1
Title:The Last Policeman
Authors:Ben Winters
Info:Quirk Books
Collections:Removed
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012

The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters

Countdown City by Ben H. Winters (sturlington)
    sturlington: Countdown City is the sequel to the Last Policeman
    The Fractal Murders by Mark Cohen (JanesList)
    JanesList: I can't explain quite why, but these two detectives remind me of each other.

I'm not sure if I was given enough clues to figure out whodunnit, but the author gets a high rating for painting a mood of despair before it turns full-blown crazy, which I expect it to do by the end of the second book.

I could not resist comparing this to Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. The Last Policeman is its own book but I wish it had brought in a little more the likelihood that the meteor will almost surely come apart during entry and there will be multiple strikes. But we shall see.

I will definitely be reading the rest of this series. ( )
  Tonestaple | Jun 7, 2015 |
I can't really explain how much I loved this book, and the rest of the trilogy. Such an awesome plot, but I think the characters and their emotions are what really do it for me. And the writing is so incredibly satisfying... I loved it.
My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
An interesting concept. Dialogue can be a bit shallow at times, and the plot could go deeper into the impact of the impending asteroid on Earth's various activities, but still enjoyable. Will continue to the next book. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Oh Les, you dunce, how could you be so stupid... eh. Seems like the main character was spouting that every few pages and it gets old quickly.
Anyway, an interesting premise that I don't feel is fully realised, which is a shame. There were hints at stories I would have been interested to follow but they are not developed - perhaps that is qhy this is now part of a trilogy. Having completed the first book, I don't think I will go on and read the other stories in the series.It's the kinda book that you can take or leave. ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
The premise alone would make this an interesting read, but Winters really executed well. The narrative stays anchored in the present while incrementally revealing what's happened in getting the world to its current state of crisis, with not an "information dump" to be found. Highly recommend. ( )
  judykwalker | Apr 25, 2015 |

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pushnik, JonathanCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Even for Voltaire, the supreme rationalist, a purely rational suicide was something prodigious and slightly grotesque, like a comet or a two-headed sheep." -- A. Alvarez, The Savage God: A Study of Suicide
"And there's a slow, slow train comin', up around the bend." -- Bob Dylan, "Slow Train"
To Andrew Winters, of the Concord Winters
I'm staring at the insurance man and he's staring at me, two cold gray eyes behind old-fashioned tortoiseshell frames, and I'm having this awful and inspiring feeling, like holy moly this is real, and I don't know if I'm ready, I really don't.

What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die? Detective Hank Palace has asked this question ever since asteroid 2011L47J hovered into view. Several kilometers wide, it’s on a collision course with planet Earth, with just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. Industry is grinding to a halt. Most people have abandoned their jobs. But not Hank Palace. As our story opens, he’s investigating the latest suicide in a city that’s full of suicides—only this one feels wrong. This one feels like homicide. And Palace is the only one who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die?

The Last Policeman offers a story we’ve never read before: A police procedural set on the brink of an apocalypse. What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

When the Earth is doomed by an imminent and unavoidable asteroid collision, New Hampshire homicide detective Hank Palace considers the worth of his job in a world destined to end in six months and investigates a suspicious suicide that nobody else cares about.… (more)

160 wanted2 pay8 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible