The Last Policeman: A Novel by Ben Winters

The Last Policeman: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Ben Winters

Info:Quirk Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:home, fiction, science-fiction, mystery, read, read20121214

The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters

Countdown City by Ben H. Winters (sturlington)
    sturlington: Countdown City is the sequel to the Last Policeman
    We all looked up by Tommy Wallach (meggyweg)
    The Fractal Murders by Mark Cohen (JanesList)
    JanesList: I can't explain quite why, but these two detectives remind me of each other.

If there was an asteroid heading for Earth, and you knew it was going to cause mass extinctions and probably kill you, how would you spend the last months of your life? Would you carry on with your duties? Are there some things still worth fighting for, even though death for almost everyone is close at hand?

Scenario:

The stock market have collapsed.
World trade has slowed. Who wants to pump oil when they only have a few more days to live?
People tend to do what they want, money is not so much of a motivation.
Murder, suicide and sexual crimes are all up, so is police brutality.

This book forces you to think about whether there are some abstract concepts that matter. In this situation, there won't be many left that will know if you stood up for principles or how you died. If no one will know, and you'll be dead, does justice really matter? It's an angle I'd never thought of before I read the book. Ben Winters does a brilliant job with this his story. There’s the usual chasing down blind alleys. What did it for me was the fact that there was a larger plot, about humanity. Winters is skilled in doling out the bits and pieces without belaboring the point that there's an asteroid on its way. Maia is always there, but in the unspoken background. So I suppose, if Winters were the type to hit a reader over the head with things, this could have been an even more depressing book than it was.

For me the book felt depressing and claustrophobic, but to describe the book in just two word really sells it short. This was a profoundly affecting read. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
The coming asteroid end-of-the-world transforms a police procedural into something rather wonderful and poignant. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I'm still not sure I know what happened, but here's the jist of it. Hank Palace is a policeman, and an asteroid is going to crash into Planet Earth somewhere, sometime soon. Everyone's going a little cookoo, what's the point of behaving if the apocalypse is any day now? But Hank finds a dead body that looks a little too much like a suicide, and he starts investigating. And he discovers that some people are being sent up to the moon, rescued by the U.S. government, and some people are being killed (by the Government? I couldn't tell) and it's being staged to look like a suicide by the insurance companies, so they don't have to pay out. But why? Because they're going just as broke as everybody else.

The thing is, I'm still not sure I care that I don't understand. This was a great thrill ride, and I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  minxcr1964 | Nov 8, 2016 |
Coulda sworn I wrote a review, but somehow it's not here.  Well, I'm guessing I read it a couple of months ago.  I do still remember a fair bit about it, which is an indication I liked it.  But I do know I have no interest in the sequels.  The world- and character- building were done well enough, the adventure and intrigue I've had enough of (never my thing - if you like those you probably will want the whole trilogy). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A quirky, quixotic murder needs to be solved by Detective Hank Palace but there’s one problem; the world will end in six months via an Apophis class asteroid. A terrific story that grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and held me so entranced, I couldn’t put it down. Follow up books, Count Down City and World of Trouble, will help me get my Hank Palace fix. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pushnik, JonathanCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Even for Voltaire, the supreme rationalist, a purely rational suicide was something prodigious and slightly grotesque, like a comet or a two-headed sheep." -- A. Alvarez, The Savage God: A Study of Suicide
"And there's a slow, slow train comin', up around the bend." -- Bob Dylan, "Slow Train"
To Andrew Winters, of the Concord Winters
I'm staring at the insurance man and he's staring at me, two cold gray eyes behind old-fashioned tortoiseshell frames, and I'm having this awful and inspiring feeling, like holy moly this is real, and I don't know if I'm ready, I really don't.

What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die? Detective Hank Palace has asked this question ever since asteroid 2011L47J hovered into view. Several kilometers wide, it’s on a collision course with planet Earth, with just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. Industry is grinding to a halt. Most people have abandoned their jobs. But not Hank Palace. As our story opens, he’s investigating the latest suicide in a city that’s full of suicides—only this one feels wrong. This one feels like homicide. And Palace is the only one who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die?

The Last Policeman offers a story we’ve never read before: A police procedural set on the brink of an apocalypse. What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

CRIME & MYSTERY. In THE LAST POLICEMAN, Edgar Award winner and New York Times bestselling author Ben H. Winters, offers readers something they've never seen before: A police procedural set on the brink of an apocalypse. What's the point in solving murders when we're going to die soon, anyway? Hank Palace, a homicide detective in Concord, New Hampshire, asks this question every day. Most people have stopped doing whatever it is they did before the asteroid 2011L47J hovered into view. Stopped selling real estate; stopped working at hospitals; stopped slinging hash or driving cabs or trading high-yield securities. A lot of folks spend their days on bended knee, praying to Jesus or Allah or whoever they think might save them. Others have gone the other way, roaming the streets, enjoying what pleasures they can before the grand finale. Government services are beginning to slip into disarray, crops are left to rot.… (more)

142 wanted2 pay9 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,826,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible