Son by Lois Lowry

English (126)  Italian (1)  All languages (127)
The final book in The Giver quartet, Son picks up the story in a familiar world - the world of the first book in the series, The Giver. When Claire turns 12, she is given her life assignment: Birthmother. By fourteen, Claire has delivered her first baby, a son. Declared unfit to produce more children, Claire is re-assigned to work in the fish hatchery. No one there knows of her past assignment, but Claire can't forget her child. She begins volunteering in the Nurturing Center to be closer to the boy, however the baby is fussy and discontented and his future is in peril - until one day he disappears. Determined to find and be reunited with her son, Claire takes on an arduous journey that will demand years of training and unexpected sacrifices, only to find that an insidious evil still stalks the village where her son and his protector took refuge - and her son may be the only one that can stop it.

Son is a satisfying conclusion to the series and drives home the idea that greed, selfishness and thirst for power feed evil, while love, selflessness and sacrifice starve it. ( )
  adrouet | May 9, 2019 |
I really liked this, but I didn't love it.

The Writing and World-Building

I really liked how this book goes into some more mature themes, like motherhood, apathy, abuse, and depression, but found that in the third part, where it should have climaxed and been at its literary peak, I found it somewhat lacking. There were some characters whose arcs weren't really completed. I did, though, really appreciate the return of the Trademaster, though he did feel rather stereotypical and cliché.

The Characters

Claire: I really loved Claire. She made an excellent protagonist for the majority of the book.

Einar: I seriously freaking love Einar. I only want the best for him! I just want him to be happy and loved! ❤❤❤

Gabe: He was a bit too similar to Matty to really feel like anything special, though I did like him.

Alys and Benedikt: They were so cute!!!

The Trademaster: A little tropey, a little Trumpy...

Conclusion

I liked it enough, and it worked as a suitable conclusion to the Giver, but I was still rather disappointed. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
The story of Claire from the same world as Jonas, (The Giver). She was assigned birthmother, but something goes wrong. She's re-assigned and then goes to the fish hatchery. But she has a longing to be with her child.
I don't want to go into detail of what happens, because her journey is the story.
In the end she makes a trade with the Trademaster from Messenger and her son Gabe has a longing to find his mother.
This book is a little more advanced in emotions and relationships that may not be for elementary, but middle school and high school for sure. The word choices are not difficult and the story is woven well. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
What a perfect And beautiful series. I loved them all! ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on February 22, 2013.

This was such an excellent book. I first read The Giver when I was in 7th grade (too long ago) and was so curious about the story. I didn't understand the concepts on the same level that I understand them at now as an adult, but it made a big impact nonetheless. I didn't know there were sequels to The Giver until I took a class on YA Literature when I was in college. I read Messenger and The Gathering Blue for a project in that class and was enthralled by those as well. So, once I heard that Son was coming out, I knew there was no way I wouldn't read it. And I'm so very glad I did.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I got this from the library as quickly as I did, because I assumed a lot of people would want to read it. And obviously, they do because there are over 1000 ratings and the book hasn't been out more than a few months yet.

Even though it's been a while since I read the first three books, I had no trouble falling right back into that world again. The beginning of the book goes back into the past, when Jonas is still in The Community. It gives more background about Gabe, and particularly about his origins, which I know that I was curious about, even in The Giver.

There's so much to say and yet, I don't want to ruin anything by giving spoilers. This quartet has been so long in the making I would feel horrible spoiling anything, so this review is going to be very general and to the point.

Claire is a strong, determined character. She gives up a lot, for someone that she loves, and it's hard to watch her struggle through the effects of the choices she's made. In addition to her struggles she also sacrifices a great deal personally. As I read, I found myself wishing and hoping that, in the end, her struggle and sacrifices would be worth it. I'm glad to say that they were.

Jonas is no longer the leader in his community. He now has a family of his own, with Kira, and it is nice to see him happy and more relaxed. He has become wise and sure of himself, similar to the Giver in the original story. It's obvious to see how much he loves Gabe, and cares for him, and the community as a whole.

Although this book is meant to be the conclusion to the series, there is still so much more I want to know. I have so many questions, so many details I'm wondering about. I gave away my copies of the other books in this series a few months ago, but I'm thinking that at some point I'll check out all four books from the library and do a read-through of the whole series.

This is an excellent novel. I would recommend it to fans of Lois Lowry, and for anyone looking for a unique twist on dystopias.
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |

Is contained in

In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

AR Book Level 5.0, 11 pts.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,761,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible